Streaming Media Center media without extender

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to set up a Media Center PC and have it act more like a Media Center server.

This "server" would have all the required hardware so that on its own it would be a full featured Media Center PC. However, I want to stream live tv, recorded tv, dvds, all that media to other computers in the house. I don't want to buy those silly Media Center extenders because they are so limited. I just want to build my own small box that gets all the media from the "server" I have set up.

Now I have seen some plugins/applications that allow streaming over the internet, but I am looking for something that is focused solely on streaming across my home network - not the internet.

So far my google searches have been fruitless. Does anyone here know how I would be able to accomplish this?

You can't; MCE wasn't made to support that kind of use. There were plans for something like this called "Softsled" which would let you use a PC as an MCE extender but MS killed it.

Check out SageTV instead; it has no problems doing this kind of thing and will even intergrate into WHS which MCE does not.

you could build another PC and have it run VMC (vista media center) and just map the network drives to the computer....

also mymovies has a server/client install.... so install mymovies server on the 1st PC, client on all other PCs and they will then have access to all data and metadata within VMC

LIVE TV is not due-able with VMC, SageTV or BeyondTV will do this but not VMC, aka softsled....

everything else is achievable...

VMC recorded TV network drive reg hack
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/202897.aspx

I was hoping to find a solution for Media Center. I would be ok with using SageTV but I very much prefer the interface of Media Center.

I was hoping to find a solution for Media Center. I would be ok with using SageTV but I very much prefer the interface of Media Center.

Like we said, MS doesn't think anyone wants this feature or they're too worried that it would cut into their profits on extenders (lol). Or something, the point is they don't offer it and nothing in Win 7 makes me think it'll be coming any time soon.

for live TV..... either use a logitech harmony remote and set live tv on the remote for the TVs tuner..... and use VMC for everything else...

i personally am looking into getting the new EEE Boc PC that has an Atom CPU and the ATI 3200HD chipet and mount it behind my other 2 TVs

great "extenders"

btw why extend Live TV over a network when the TV can do live TV itself....

i know switching to the TV can be a pain, so get a good universal remote, cheaper than buying all the sagetv clients....

JMO

This is the closest I have found to what I am looking for is a plugin/app called WebGuide, but instead of streaming over a network from one Media Center box to another it streams over the internet and must be accessed with a browser window.

It seems to me then that it is at least possible. Maybe I just need to wait.

btw why extend Live TV over a network when the TV can do live TV itself....

Because if I spend a bunch of money putting together a really good DVR box I want to use it.

Well for the live TV streaming...you could grab a HDhomerun. It streams to the network only so you could be watching live tv and recording stuff to the server at the same time.

Back