Streaming Issue

RabidSmurf

n00b
Hey Guys,

This problem has only recently popped up, I am using a Linksys BEFSR81 router (10/100).

I stream content from my file server to my PC for viewing, usually over windows media player. For some months I had no issues, I could stream 1080p continuously without any problems.

Lately even a smal TV show has issues, it will be going along fine for about 5 mintues then suddenly freeze up, the sound continues normally but the picture freezes, then eventually the picture will pick up again. I resolved this problem by disabling all of the windows media player automatic updates for the library content from the internet, and increasing the buffer size.

However the problem persists when I stream HD. I've notice that the download rate on my PC is > 1 MB/s, then when the picture freezes up, the download it drops to < 44kb/s. I also notice on my server that it the upload has dropped, so I think this is a server side issue. (I am using windows server 2003).

It seems for some reason it's not able to maintain a continous stream > 1 MB/s. What I find odd, is that this is a new problem, it used to work fine. If I stop the video close media player and restart it, it starts working fine again for about 5 minutes.

Any tips on how I could troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

Back