Streaming HD content over wired network to PS3 is slow...Recommendations?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
current setup:
4-5 year old netgear MIMO router (one of the first ones with blue lights on top)
desktop pc has gigabit port, router does not
PS3 media server

all the components are wired and while streaming 720p works fine, i cannot stream 1080p smoothly. also, fast forwarding 720p is painful at best. is this something that can be fixed with gigabit router? or is it my computer?

computer:
dual core opteron 175
4 gigs ram
9800gtx
windows 7
standard 7200rpm hard drive

get your self a cheap gigabit switch, then connect your pc and ps3 to the switch so you have a gigabit connection between your pc and ps3, then connect the switch to your router so both devices have internet connectivity and your set.

You can pick up a cheap dlink gigabit switch from newegg for $29.99, check it out here

Fairly sure it's your machine, not the network. 100mbps is plenty for a 1080p stream.

100Mbps is only 12.MBps, 1080p content streams at I think 7-9MBps with mpeg-2, with 1000Mbps you can stream at 125MBps theoretical max - I think your hitting max throughput on the router interfaces - 7-9Mbps is roughly 50-73Mbps, and you'll rarely hit those speeds with a cheap motherboard nic - I have the same GIG setup with dlink gigabit switch connected to router for internet and all other devices connected to switch for gigabit network sharing HD content with the PS3 and I have no problems

Last edited:
silent circuit might be right...when i am fast forwarding my CPU shoots up into 80% & 90% usage and my computer slows to a crawl.

oh also i can't watch 1080p on my computer normally anyway.

Keep in mind your PC might be full of crap. I have two boxes with nearly same specs (desktop and laptop - only diff is laptop has no VRAM) and I've found that my desktop, which I use nearly 24/7 is having problems with video (skips every few seconds on game intros like DNDO) and even simple tasks like "open in new tab" take 10+ seconds! ...but my laptop is flying through them without a hitch!

and the real tail-kicker is the desktop has XP and the laptop is running Vista Ultimate!

you might try reformatting and reinstalling to fix your video problem on your desktop. I am suspicious that your hitting your cieling on the switch though and for $30 it cant hurt to try!

Definitely your PC, are you also transcoding this video too when your streaming it?

Make sure you are not using your PC to transcde videos, if you are stuck with mkvs look into using tsmuxer or mkv2vob. to transcode from mkv to a format the ps3 can use. I do believe tsmuxer cannot demux/remux dts info without an external program, although for those things I just use mkv2vob.

my pc is transcoding because most of the 720p video i download is .264 (mkv) file. ps3 media server uses tsmuxer as well as something called MEncoder on my computer. i would prefer not to convert my mkv files because it just adds one more step to getting the video ready to stream. here:

i am building a new machine in the next 2-4 weeks so i might grab gigabit router along with it just to test. this machine is really showing its age and i am constantly hurting for hard drive space.

Last edited:
You don't have enough CPU power to transcode 1080p in real time in that machine. It just isn't going to happen. Your network may prove to be an issue once you get a new machine capable of 1080p streaming, but for the time being it is definitely your machine.

Back