Stream vid on forums?

OK so i got everything setup for my site but now i got another problem. How can i setup an embedded video into my site or better yet is there a forum out there that if i uploaded and hosted my own avi clips that i could embed or link a stream of it into a forum post?

I want to setup to where you can click on a thread called:

shooto class session 1

then in the body would be some text describing the lesson then the embedded video.

\I would greatly appreciate any help. thanks

If you convert your videos to FLV format, you will be able to stream them with a Flash FLV streamer. Alternately, you could just upload them to YouTube or something else and stream them from there.

there really is no other way??? hmmmm thats weird....

What other way do you want? It's possible to stream DivX video over the internet, but the viewer needs a plugin, so it makes more sense to convert it to FLV before trying to stream it. If you use a local FLV player, you can host everything on your server and make sure your videos stay exclusive.

Youtube, Vimeo and Viddler all have great quality now, so that shouldn't be an issue.

thank you for your time and help...

one last dummy question

so lets say i convert this shooto lesson clip i have to flv right...then i upload it using ftp program where do i upload it? to the public_html folder where all my root stuff is? or do i make a folder then put the file in there?

also after that how would i embed the flash file? i have phpbb3 set up completely so would i just do flash tags around the direct link?

thank you again for your time and patience.

ok i got the video to play in .swf mode but the only prob is there is no auto start and theres no menu for pause stop and full screen....how do i get that?

ok i got the video to play in .swf mode but the only prob is there is no auto start and theres no menu for pause stop and full screen....how do i get that?

Why not just use YouTube/Vimeo/Viddler? Much more control/features then doing it yourself.

because they have tons of restrictions. i wanna be able to host the videos off my server directly. some of my class vids are almost 400 megs.....

Regarding the videos, if you know your audience has v9.0.61 or above of flash player you can encode them in H264 which will give better quality video at lower bitrates (saving you bandwidth), you can even use x264 to do this.

If you dont know what version of flash they have, and feel that printing a message on the screen telling them to upgrade probably wont work, then you will have to encode them in H263, you can use FFMPEG and other tools to encode to these.

Again as your progressively streaming these, you want to make sure there of the best possible encoding at the lowest bitrates, as the second the person starts to watch the clip it will start downloading the entire file at the max speed your connections will allow, so for instance even if i watch only 2 mins, its possible i downloaded 10-15mins of the movie and used bandwidth unnecessarily. You could cut the clips into smaller segments as another way of avoiding this.

To get the videos to play in PHPBB3 you need to add a BBCode for your videos. To do this first get a JW FLV player http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/ and place the files "flwplayer.swf" and "swobject.js" in your webhosting folders so that people can access them

Then in phpbb3, goto BBCodes and enter the following.

bbcodeusage
Code:
[Movie]{TEXT},{TEXT2},{TEXT3}[/Movie]

htmlreplacement
Code:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="{TEXT2}" height="{TEXT3}" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0">
<param name="flashvars" value="image={TEXT}.jpg" />
<param name="src" value="flvplayer.swf?file={TEXT}.flv&amp;autoStart=false;" />
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="{TEXT2}" height="{TEXT3}" src="flvplayer.swf?file={TEXT}.flv&amp;autoStart=false;" flashvars="image={TEXT}.jpg">
</embed>
</object>

Now in phpbb you should be able to insert the video by typing
Code:
 [Movie]Class1,640,480[/Movie]

The first variable "Class1" is the name of the movie and on your webhost should be class1.flv, the second variable "640" is the width and the third variable "480" is the height. You will need to change the htmlreplacement slightly to your needs as it assume everything is in the root directory, it also assumes that for every movie file, there is a preview image (jpeg) of the same name, so Class1.flv and Class1.jpg....if it cannot find the JPEG it will just display a blank video preview (black), but the movie will play still. If you want it to autostart, just change autostart=true in the same code.

wow you are a godsend! the code looks just like the flash tags im currently using but auto start is great feature i need thanks!

well i tried and all i get is a white area and nothing happens.

ohhhh in the html replacement where it says

<param name="src" value="flvplayer.swf?file={TEXT}.flv&amp;autoStart=true;" />

for the value i should type out the directory path where i put the flv player right?

well if so i already tried that and i still get white blank area.

the flash tags have worked so far but theres no menu..:(

It will be a path issue depending on what folder you have placed the files. If you placed them in the root of your website you would need to make the following changes.

Code:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="{TEXT2}" height="{TEXT3}" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0">
<param name="flashvars" value="image={TEXT}.jpg" />
<param name="src" value="/flvplayer.swf?file={TEXT}.flv&amp;autoStart=false;" />
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="{TEXT2}" height="{TEXT3}" src="/flvplayer.swf?file={TEXT}.flv&amp;autoStart=false;" flashvars="image={TEXT}.jpg">
</embed>
</object>

If you are unsure, then what you can do is just grab the web logs and look at your last visit it will show the path you browsers tried to run and you can make the necessary changes.

EDIT
for the value i should type out the directory path where i put the flv player right?

Correct :), like i said you can just use /flvplayer.swf but that would only work if your flvplayer.swf is in the root directory.

my file isnt named flvplayer.swf its just player.swf

that was the problem

so i got it to work but now im getting some errors

Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2035: URL Not Found.

thats just when i go to preview the post...if i hit continue then i hit the play button in the middle it says video not found...but the strange part is, its the right path and everything but theres an extra ".flv" extension on the file. Why is it putting aextra .flv on the file? I didnt do it cuz i even went back and checked. so i took away my .flv and it worked im very happy but then i went to hit full screen and got the following

SecurityError: Error #2152: Full screen mode is not allowed.
at flash.display::Stage/set displayState()
at com.jeroenwijering.player::Controller/fullscreenHandler()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at com.jeroenwijering.player::View/sendEvent()
at com.jeroenwijering.plugins::Controlbar/clickHandler()

any help on that?

Ok, sorry to be a pain and change somethings again, but the code i used above was taken from a site i did about 2 years ago. So here is the new code you should use in the htmlreplacement section, making the necessary changes to the paths. The code below assumes that the player.swf and videos/previews will be in the root

Code:
<embed 
  src="/player.swf" 
  width="{TEXT2}"
  height="{TEXT3}"
  allowscriptaccess="always"
  allowfullscreen="true"
  flashvars="file={TEXT1}.flv&image={TEXT1}.jpg"
/>

if your videos were in a folder called "movies" then you would use this.
Code:
<embed 
  src="/player.swf" 
  width="{TEXT2}"
  height="{TEXT3}"
  allowscriptaccess="always"
  allowfullscreen="true"
  flashvars="file=/movies/{TEXT1}.flv&image=/movies/{TEXT1}.jpg"
/>

The scripts above will fix the problem you have with fullscreen not working.

Why is it putting aextra .flv on the file?

Its what my script is doing with the BBCode, its basically substituting the filenames, so you only have to put the movie in and it assumes movie.jpg will be the preview. Its a very easy change for you to make if you don't want it there, but then you would have to use another variable to store the image preview (if your using it).

SecurityError: Error #2152: Full screen mode is not allowed.
at flash.display::Stage/set displayState()
at com.jeroenwijering.player::Controller/fullscreenHandler()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at com.jeroenwijering.player::View/sendEvent()
at com.jeroenwijering.plugins::Controlbar/clickHandler()

got the error again

Back