Stream Ripping Piracy Goes from Bad to Worse, Music Industry Reports

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
New data not only reveals that stream ripping remains the music industry's main piracy threat, but it's growing too: IFPI's latest music consumer insight report shows that more than a third of all Internet subscribers use stream rippers to access unlicensed music. YouTube, which accounts for more than half of all music video streaming, is being pressured to do more to block stream rippers and converters from exploiting the service.

A survey conducted in the world’s leading music industry markets reveals that 35% of all Internet users are stream rippers, up from 30% last year. In total, 40% of all respondents admitted to obtaining unlicensed music. This means that the vast majority of all music pirates use stream ripping tools. This practice is particularly popular among those in the youngest age group, where more than half of all Internet users admit to ripping music, and it goes down as age increases.

Ahhh, memories of streamripper for shoutcast.

On a serious note, the other day i almost ended doing this, since i was interested in a particular obscure song which i could not find anywhere else but in youtube.

[A survey] right there is your problem. I highly doubt 1/3 of the internet using peoples are smart enough to rip a stream regardless of how easy it is for us. These are the same people who can;t figure out how to turn on their PCs. These people probably answered "yeah I watch YouTube I'm a pirate" The music industry is known for it's out right lying and exaggeration of all things. That said I buy all my music and subscribe to Google Music and YouTube Red. I still play physical CDs and I'm a Luddite I guess because I haven't joined apparently the mass of pirates. yargh?

Yep I'll use a YouTube stream ripper from time to time to get hold of a live recording or version of a song that is not otherwise available.

And incidentally I subscribe to Slacker and still buy CDs. This is the only music I get through questionable means.

unlicensed music? Vevo's posts are legit. So I assume that is licensed music and unlicensed simply means someone like me uploading the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack.

Plus, if they are freaking out over stream rippers, Quit streaming it!

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing they can do to stop it besides stopping streaming all together.

All you have to have is a program that can record "What you hear". No way to block that at the website level.

This practice is particularly popular among those in the youngest age group, where more than half of all Internet users admit to ripping music, and it goes down as age increases.

Yea, makes sense as they can't afford proper quality yet.

lol. There are websites that do this for free, there's paid for software like media catcher which will rip audio out of youtube for you (as well as many other sites) (http://applian.com/replay-media-catcher/).
Boo hoo.

Also i love the cherry picking. 16-24 year old demographic? The ones without money to spend? Yeah, i wonder how they get their music.

The music industry seems to have a very short memory. How is this different than recording a track form the radio? Or capturing clips off MTV, when MTV stood for music television.

Ahhh the memories of putting in a cassette tape and waiting until the song you like played on the radio, pretty sure the music industry lost that battle too... although in some countries they charged a special tax for each piece of blank media you bought to pay off the music extortionists

They still do in EU. They even wanted to extend it to everything that can play music.

Stream ripping is killing the music industry.

MP3 piracy is killing the music industry.

Burning CDs is killing the music industry.

Cassette Tape ripping off the radio is killing the music industry.

The phonograph is killing the music industry.

Nothing is killing the music industry except the music industry.

Last edited:
[A survey] right there is your problem. I highly doubt 1/3 of the internet using peoples are smart enough to rip a stream...
"Peoples"? What about the huge number of IOT devices that are also internet "users"?
Even if we only include human users (typically in all ages between 2 and 110) I seriously doubt that as many as one third even know what stream ripping is. Amongst those that do know what it is and how to do it there are still quite a few that won't do it.

Amongst those that do know what it is and how to do it there are still quite a few that won't do it.
But even if one would do it how is it lost revenue to the stream provider? To have the ability to rip the stream you by definition have to be subscribed to the service, meaning you're paying.

The only way they could argue is it's lost revenue to disc sales, because you won't buy the movie on physical media after ripping the stream. But to me capturing a stream seems eerily like capturing broadcast television, and that's not illegal either.

Stream ripping is killing the music industry.

MP3 piracy is killing the music industry.

Burning CDs is killing the music industry.

Cassette Tape ripping off the radio is killing the music industry.

The phonograph is killing the music industry.

Nothing is killing the music industry except the music industry.

The only thing in common indeed.
Just like the 'everyone are dicks' people.
Lol

f5f.jpg

If you don't agree with the fundamental concept that computers duplicate data, then maybe don't rely on computers for a business model that doesn't allow for data duplication.

Just saying.

if you don't agree with the fundamental concept of people can put a gun to your face, then maybe don't rely on walking outside your house as a traveling model that doesn;t want to allow for beeing mugged
just saying.

Just because its easy/avaiable doesn't make it right

if you don't agree with the fundamental concept of people can put a gun to your face, then maybe don't rely on walking outside your house as a traveling model that doesn;t want to allow for beeing mugged
just saying.

Just because its easy/available doesn't make it right

That is trying way too hard. People can't stick a gun to your face under any circumstance that falls within the acceptable actions of society. A computer copying data is not an extreme or radical usage of a computer, nor does it fall outside of it's intended use. At their core, that's what computers do, replicate data.

Now if you had said something along the lines of if you do not like being threatened by someone with a gun, then don't try to pay your bills by being a mercenary......and I would agree that is reasonable. But you went too far.

unlicensed music? Vevo's posts are legit. So I assume that is licensed music and unlicensed simply means someone like me uploading the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack.

Plus, if they are freaking out over stream rippers, Quit streaming it!

If you rip a stream from a licensed source like Vevo or from someone that uploaded a copyrighted song/video, you now own an unlicensed copy of it since you didn't pay for it. that is what that statement about unlicensed music means.

If you rip a stream from a licensed source like Vevo or from someone that uploaded a copyrighted song/video, you now own an unlicensed copy of it since you didn't pay for it. that is what that statement about unlicensed music means.

This is true, pretty much anything that you don't pay for is illegal.....that might be the most safe way to look at it. And when it comes to things like the Library that do not require money, possession of the physical item becomes the license. You must deprive others the right to usage in order for your usage to be licensed. If you are not depriving others the usage of that physical medium, then you are not allowed to view that content. Period.

When it comes to something like the radio, yes the music industry was relaxed with it.....but, my opinion would be was that this was due to the taxes/levies imposed by the federal government on to the devices and blank media used in the facilitation of that piracy. By allowing it, they were able to passively benefit from it. The entertaiment industry no longer can do that now that standard computer parts are the main source of facilitating piracy.

[A survey] right there is your problem. I highly doubt 1/3 of the internet using peoples are smart enough to rip a stream regardless of how easy it is for us. These are the same people who can;t figure out how to turn on their PCs. These people probably answered "yeah I watch YouTube I'm a pirate" The music industry is known for it's out right lying and exaggeration of all things. That said I buy all my music and subscribe to Google Music and YouTube Red. I still play physical CDs and I'm a Luddite I guess because I haven't joined apparently the mass of pirates. yargh?
It wouldn't surprise me. My late 60's dad isn't technically savy at all and he rips music off youtube regularly. He figured it out on his own. He doesn't rip licensed contract, mostly shape note singing and amateur fiddle music. It's not hard to figure out - it's a google search away. I don't do it because I stream through Pandora or Spotify and if I want a particular song then I'll pay $1 for it at Amazon - but it's not that 1/3 of the people on the internet couldn't figure it out - it's as easy as downloading a browser plugin.

I pay for Spotify although I do have a backup of all my old punk torrents for when I was to listen to some obscure ska band from the 90s or an EP from a Boston hardcore band.

But like the above posters my dad does rip from YouTube. When I asked him why, he said that the LP he wanted wasn’t in production and his favorite country song was on it. It was Glenn Campbell if my memory serves me right. He mostly does this with media he can’t find.

Is that a lost sale? Was I a lost sale at 18 when I was torrenting all those records?

Yeah, a plastic engine. Inb4 it melts within 5 minutes of starting my v6.
Ah, so you think cars with internal combustion engines will still be a thing 15 years from now.

Metal based 3D printing has been around for two decades and is just getting to a scale where it is viable for non-industrial use

If it follows the same trajectory as plastic 3d printers did we'll see metal printers under $1000 in less than a decade.

Back in the day, I did not pay for the music I record from the radio onto a cassette. Also, why not just embed DRM in the stream like Netflix, Hulu and other such services do?

For a second I thought what is Valve doing this time, then was like oh, Stream.

Anyway...

A car is a tangible object which cannot be replicated/copied like a collection of 1's and 0's can. This has always been a poor analogy. Now if such technology existed that could replicate a car as fast as a computer can replicate a file, then...
...Then the inventor and anyone who worked with him would be murdered and the technology destroyed.

A car is a tangible object which cannot be replicated/copied like a collection of 1's and 0's can. This has always been a poor analogy. Now if such technology existed that could replicate a car as fast as a computer can replicate a file, then...
...Then the inventor and anyone who worked with him would be murdered and the technology destroyed.

No, it wouldn't be destroyed, it would be hidden and used to make products over and over and over and over again.

Back