Stream CableCard tuner to 360?

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Thinking of getting an InfiniTV 4 for my desktop PC and just streaming everything to the 360 instead of building a whole 'nother PC to sit all of 8 feet away from my current PC. Any drawbacks to this idea?

Nope. I do it at home. Works really well.

I have my InfiniTV in my desktop machine, Home Server in a VM on my server, and two Xboxes (mine and my brother's). Both Xboxes use my desktop for MC Extender, then I share two tuners across the network with my HTPC (the Ceton software lets you share them out). Works really well... except that it does need to be wired. Wireless, in my experience, is AWFUL for HD streaming.

Additionally, I do all my recording on the desktop then auto-archive everything with Home Server so I can watch it from any machine where the Home Server client is installed.

Nope. I do it at home. Works really well.

I have my InfiniTV in my desktop machine, Home Server in a VM on my server, and two Xboxes (mine and my brother's). Both Xboxes use my desktop for MC Extender, then I share two tuners across the network with my HTPC (the Ceton software lets you share them out). Works really well... except that it does need to be wired. Wireless, in my experience, is AWFUL for HD streaming.

Additionally, I do all my recording on the desktop then auto-archive everything with Home Server so I can watch it from any machine where the Home Server client is installed.

Home server necessary? The 360 can see everything in the recorded TV folder, right?

Correct, the home server isn't needed. I added it because I wanted the extra storage in my server. The Xbox box works really well. My brother doesn't even have cable in his room, just the Xbox.

I actually use a xbox in another room in this manner and it works great. The only downside is they are noisy compared to a cable box or htpc.

Back