Streacom DB4 Fanless Aluminum Chassis Review @ [H]

And there are two device which if maxed out, will probably pull close to 300 watts combined. Your point?

They shouldn't pull 300W combined. If they do then you've chosen the wrong components. The TDP of a stock RX 470 is 110W which is on the limit. The CPU should only be pulling 65W. That's a total of 175W, well within the 220W limit.

That link goes to a review of four different heat sinks.

oeps, linked right one now

The vrm's on a rx470 hit 95+ and that is with a strix card, tdp alone is not the whole picture. I hope I am wrong but a rx570 will burn in a db4

Last edited:
This is the only review using more than 1 panel I am aware of. It does not manage to cool a 88W cpu properly. My own experience is similar.

Besides putting too much total tdp in the case the above build is never going to work because a RX570 is going to shut itself down as soon as you put some load on it because it can never run without proper vrm cooling. A few heatsinks on the vrm's in a hot box will just not work, been there done that.

Found his posts, looks like cpu is working okish, don't know how good the aida stress test is. His temp were 92 after 30 mins but still rising.

Thanks for finding his posts. The Youtube vid I had seen before. Though again. I am sure when stress testing those CPUs are putting out more than rated wattage (so optimistically low rating), and the DB4 is likely not quite capable in normal circumstances of dissipating their rated power (so optimisitically high rating). So instead of engineering reserve, both are set up the opposite and when combined the results aren't good.

I also note that in the youtube video, the second panel transfer was weak. Though he never said if that problem persisted after he changed from pad to compound.

Also note in the video he seems to be using Prime95 and a Haswell CPU, which 90+ C happens even with fan cooled versions in that case. It is some kind of glitch between the two.

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2whyho/stress_test_aida64_vs_prime95_very_different_temps/

Last edited:
You do realise that that's an overclocked card, don't you?

It is still only rated as a 120W card, yet draws 144W.

AMD official 150 W RX480, drew close to 170W at stock speed.

AMD cards draw more than rated.

. The TDP of a stock RX 470 is 110W which is on the limit. The CPU should only be pulling 65W. That's a total of 175W, well within the 220W limit.

Umm... no. The standard 470 has a TDP of 120W. TDP is not the same as power drawn.

If you are going insist on correcting me, you should really make up your mind. So now the 470 is over the limit? ;)

I really don't know about the decision to put the motherboard's ports side down, making it harder to plug in ANYTHING without having to lift up the case every time. Should have reserved one side face to be the back of the machine.
For pure aesthetic reason, the cabling SHOULD come out of the bottom, and one should drill a hole on the cabinet where the DB4 would be sitting, so you can look at it from all angles, and "look Ma, no cables!" If finding yourself always have to plug in an external USB device, can always make yourself an external USB jack from a male-female cable and mount it on the cabinet a little away form the DB4, and preserve the aesthetic.

I know it's a totally different critter, but it reminds me of this: Mac G4 Cube.
The G4 Cube was a tad smaller, like a kleenex box, and notoriously for over heating. Jobs had a fetish for see-through plastics at the time, had they used heat pipes, it may had been more successful.

The G4 Cube was a tad smaller, like a kleenex box, and notoriously for over heating. Jobs had a fetish for see-through plastics at the time, had they used heat pipes, it may had been more successful.
He also hated fans. Cuz that's a smart attitude with computer heat levels.

If finding yourself always have to plug in an external USB device, can always make yourself an external USB jack from a male-female cable and mount it on the cabinet a little away form the DB4, and preserve the aesthetic.

Or you plug it into the monitor which has a USB hub built-in.

Back