STRAY Cat game Cyberpunk dystopia

i love the concept, but i'd have to say based on the pre-release gameplay shown so far, it very much looks like one of those indie titles that's less gameplay focused and more about a gently guided 'tour' through an interesting world. i don't mind that concept, but it's not usually one i'd pay more than $5-7.50 for, especially if it's only like 3 or 4 hours long. given that it's going to be on PS+ extra, i'll check it out on there though.

i love the concept, but i'd have to say based on the pre-release gameplay shown so far, it very much looks like one of those indie titles that's less gameplay focused and more about a gently guided 'tour' through an interesting world. i don't mind that concept, but it's not usually one i'd pay more than $5-7.50 for, especially if it's only like 3 or 4 hours long. given that it's going to be on PS+ extra, i'll check it out on there though.
I didn't get that vibe at all. Looks like an action-adventure game with a good amount of exploration, platforming, and puzzle solving. We'll find out what the game is really like soon enough.

I'm really interested in this title. It feels like a unique concept and I'm a sucker for cats. Hopefully they allow you to change the cat's fur in the game or via a mod. Black cats FTW.

i love the concept, but i'd have to say based on the pre-release gameplay shown so far, it very much looks like one of those indie titles that's less gameplay focused and more about a gently guided 'tour' through an interesting world.
Since first seeing it years ago when it had a different working title was hoping it'd be a bit more fleshed out in the footage shown but I've tempered my expectations and expect it to have some light puzzle elements, some side quests and be fairly linear. Which isn't a bad thing, mind, as some games are perfect for that. I hope the highs hit though to make it all worth the wait.

I'm really interested in this title. It feels like a unique concept and I'm a sucker for cats. Hopefully they allow you to change the cat's fur in the game or via a mod. Black cats FTW.
Strangely from what they've said there's no cat customization. Wonder if it'll remain that way.

https://nitter.net/A_i/status/1547621780851789828
https://yourcatbackpack.com/pages/strayxtravelcat

1657913108875.png

1657913172994.png

Think this game will be exciting as a top end Nintendo Wii game. There was a game called Deadly Creatures. Maneater I was blown away with that one.

I feel like "arthouse" games are scored artificially high just like movies.
i think you are absolutely correct.

sounds like stray is at least "good" in general, which i'm very happy to hear. can't wait to play through it.

edit: listening to gameranx' youtube review, he compared it to limbo or inside, which is pretty much exactly the type of game i described earlier in this thread. :p and it was ~4.5 hours with him "taking his sweet time." wouldn't buy it at $20-30, but i'll play it on ps plus!

... and then getting it to move how you want it to.
Yeah, that seems like the toughest part. You want me to what ? Nah

Plus, assuming they do it the same as a person, getting a cat to act remotely normal while wearing a full body suit with the ping pong balls on it seems unlikely, to say the least.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting Elden Ring, but am simply hoping for a fun explorable world and something I can relax with. Plus, cats. I have a young cat who goes absolutely bonkers when other cats are on TV or in videos, so I'm curious if this game will set her off.

I'm not expecting Elden Ring, but am simply hoping for a fun explorable world and something I can relax with. Plus, cats. I have a young cat who goes absolutely bonkers when other cats are on TV or in videos, so I'm curious if this game will set her off.
i demand videos of her reacting to you playing it (if she reacts at all) :D

If you want to win over a cat get some Temptations snacks. I gave my cat so many had a heart attack. No longer a cat owner was for 20 years or so

Last edited:
played a little bit of it on my PS5. very much a limbo/inside type of game, with some pretty good visuals and sound. should be an entertaining 3 or 4 hours. i love the details put into animating the cats, like licking his chops after hissing, the way his tail stands up when he's happy, etc.

also, pressing O to meow may be the best thing ever created by human civilization.

This is a common issue with UE4.

That and it seems like a common problem when running DX12. Watch Dogs Legion is another example, while not on UE4 it is DX12. UE4 + DX12 might be a bad combination?

But not all UE4 games have the problem. AC7 is 100% smooth for me.

Runs fine on a Ryzen 7 5800X w/ 1080ti, limited to 60 FPS in menu but seems smooth @ 3440x1440.

Looks interesting, can't wait to play tonight.

I played for about an hour and it seems to be running fine on my end of things. I turned vsync off, set my FPS to unlimited, and am letting gsync do its thing. My cat isn't sure what to make of it. She doesn't seem to care about the visuals, but the meows are getting her attention. They come out of different speakers, so she keeps looking around the room confused.

this game runs on crap on my comp, but than my comp is just a i7 first gen, every new games run crap on it :)

I feel like "arthouse" games are scored artificially high just like movies. Annapurna is defined by "arthouse" in the entertainment medium. It gets in the hands of gamers tomorrow, so we'll see.

https://opencritic.com/game/13386/stray
View attachment 492902
I don't think that's what's actually going on. The reality is that if you are making AAA mainstream entertainment with all the visual and audio glory you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator from a sales aspect or it's not worth the investment. Which means that big movies, music, tv, games tend to be very predictable and not take risks. Comparatively things that are done by smaller teams and have less money on the line can afford break the mold and take risks.

For people who are constantly exposed to a form of entertainment or just really into it they are going to appreciate breaking the mod and taking risk and have problem had enough of AAA insane graphics OMG (the Justin Bieber of gaming) stuff which does not do that. You see this with food as well. Independ burger places don't get reviewed better than mass chains because they are artsy, it's because they can actually crank out a more unique product. AAA mainstream is the starbucks of gaming to a lot of people. There are exceptions, Doom 2016 is a good one which knocked it out of the park but rather often it's not the case.

I get little hitches here and there. I wouldn't call it a stutter (to me that's a more regular thing - like every few seconds), but I've definitely experienced little hitches or jerkiness every minute or two. It's a slow paced game for the most part, so it hasn't really affected my experience at all. I don't even think it would set off the people that can't handle quirks like that, but it's definitely there.

This is a common issue with UE4.
Fortnite explicitly has a shader compilation stage on first launch for this reason.

Digital Foundry talked with an engine dev at some point and Epic is definitely aware of the issue, though they expressed that it's not a trivial thing to fix.

UE5 has the exact same issue unfortunately.

Back