Strategies for MW2

Xenomaniac

[H]ard|Gawd
I love playing MW2 but I'm starting to get irritated by the multiplayer. It's a shame because it is such a great game but, I'll admit, I SUCK at this game. I want to get better but every time I go and look for strategies and try to follow them, I'll do alright for the first few matches and then I'm dead last each game after that.

My kill/death ratio is embarrassing same with my win/loss ratio. I'll get a positive kill ratio once every 8 matches (guessing but it's pretty bad). I still haven't even gotten my first prestige yet. My friend has already lapped me and is working on his second as I type (heck maybe even his third now). I've played FPS on PC's ever since Half-Life 1 came out and I prefer a Keyboard and Mouse over a controller any day. I decided to go PS3 because my computer needs an upgrade and I don't quite have the money for it while I'm working on my bachelors degree. I want to continue playing FPS on the PS3 because everything looks amazing on our 42" HDTV. I think the problem I'm having the most is trying to aim with a controller.

This is really frustrating me and I'm thinking about trading the game in for AVP when it comes out but, I don't want to do that. I rather keep 2 great games then have one great game. If anyone knows any good strategies or things I can do to improve my skill I would greatly appreciate it. Help point me in the right direction so I can continue playing FPS on the PS3 and get better instead of worse.

I just got MW2 for PS3, and starting at the low level again is a beating. The stuff they give you initially is awful. I tried the M4, but as soon as I unlocked the SCAR, I went to that and have been finishing near or at the top since. I got matched with guys all lower than rank 25, and we played against a bunch of prestige and level 70 guys yesterday, and we handed them their a**.

I'm in the 50s on the 360 though, so I've been playing a little while, but you need to find something that works. If you get on a crappy team in the team games, it can make your playing awful, because you're always avoiding the opposing teams' killstreak rewards. Just keep playing, you'll get better.

I play on ps3 and the strategy everyone uses is the unlimited care package glitch. I'm not playing until it's fixed :mad:

Don't just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Play smart. If you're inside a building, stop for a second & listen for footsteps (yes some people have Ninja Pro, so their footsteps are silent) If you can hear or see your enemy coming, it gives you a nice advantage.

Learn the maps. just create a private match & explore the maps. Find good places to hide that overlook open areas, even if you're not sniping, these are great places to hide out & get a few kills.

Shoot in bursts. Your gun gets much less accurate once you hold the trigger down. This is why guns like the Famas, M16 and FAL (which is 1 bullet at a time) are so accurate

Use Claymores. Put them in high traffic areas & try to hide them so the opponent won't see the lasers coming off it.

If you don't already, use Stopping power for your Perk 2. This will make sure that @ least when your bullets DO hit somebody, they do more damage. Once your aiming skills get better, then you can use some of the other perks in that slot.

Those are some of the basic ones that should be good for now ;)

Don't just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Play smart. If you're inside a building, stop for a second & listen for footsteps (yes some people have Ninja Pro, so their footsteps are silent) If you can hear or see your enemy coming, it gives you a nice advantage.

Learn the maps. just create a private match & explore the maps. Find good places to hide that overlook open areas, even if you're not sniping, these are great places to hide out & get a few kills.

Shoot in bursts. Your gun gets much less accurate once you hold the trigger down. This is why guns like the Famas, M16 and FAL (which is 1 bullet at a time) are so accurate

Use Claymores. Put them in high traffic areas & try to hide them so the opponent won't see the lasers coming off it.

If you don't already, use Stopping power for your Perk 2. This will make sure that @ least when your bullets DO hit somebody, they do more damage. Once your aiming skills get better, then you can use some of the other perks in that slot.

Those are some of the basic ones that should be good for now ;)
I know these basics. What is this infinite care package you are mentioning?

I use a wide variety of perks. On big maps that are sniper friendly I use silenced Scar with Scavenger Pro, Cold Blooded, and Ninja Pro. On smaller maps I try to use Commando Pro, Marathon Pro, and Light weight Pro so I can move fast and depending on the map I use the Ump or the ACR. I've played a lot of Mercenary Team Deathmatch and have just recently moved to Ground War to make the game more interesting. I'm level 53 now.

If anyone wants to play online with me and show me a few tricks, add me. My PS3 screen name is in the sig.

Last edited:
I have a 2.05 Kill : Death ratio. Really the key is to slow down and take your time. I was a run and gunner in CoD 4, now I do more of a "tactical camping" approach. I move to an area where there's alot of action (usually a choke point), and hold it. Not hiding in doorways, not noob tubing, but areas where you have a distinct tactical advantage and there is a decent flow of enemies. I clear it out and move on.

Take your time, don't take shots you knows you can't make (aka there's not much point in shooting someone if you don't think you'll kil them and they have a better angle on you), set yourself up in positions where you have an advantage over anyone you're going to encounter.

I typically use an assault rifle (M4, SCAR, ACR are my favorites) or an SMG (MP5K is the only one I like). MP5K is a true run and gun setup for levels where there's tons of cover (mostly Favela) and you can run and kill people but be in cover until you run into 'em. The others are for all the other maps.

Setup your perks how you like 'em (I pike Scavenger, Stopping Power, and Ninja for everything but the MP5K which is Marathon, Lightweight, and Steady Aim). My killstreaks I use Predator, Harrier, and either Pave Low or AC-130.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you. :)

I've been moving to hardcore personally as it stops some of the really stupid stuff in the game. Also makes the weapons act better. I hated the standard where something like the 50cal is a 2 shot kill. Biggest issue I have now is lag. Gets old dropping half a mag into someone in the normal mode and you watch the replay and it shows them taking you out without you firing a shot. Also OP you can always try different game modes. Modes like domination and demolition that require people to do stuff seem to be better as far as they have something for people to do.

Played some more tonight. Ratio still sucked. Played with Flatline, was a lot of fun. Guess I should go out and get a Blue Tooth headset. Actually I already have one, just needs a charger. Can I use any Blue Tooth headset or do I have to use the PS3 one only?

Camp, and get FPS Freak, you can find it on google, but just slow down your speed until you get better

Camp, and get FPS Freak, you can find it on google, but just slow down your speed until you get better

Yah heard about that FPS Freek. Would like to try it before I buy it but the topic that was posted about it sounds like it is worth every penny.

Yah heard about that FPS Freek. Would like to try it before I buy it but the topic that was posted about it sounds like it is worth every penny.

yea i hear what your saying about trying it first but cmon man its 10 bucks... its not much to lose... me personally i'd pay 30 for 1 of them if i had too. im sure you have wasted 10 bucks in your life plently of time before

If you want a quick fix until you get a strategy down use this....

Perk 1: One Man Army
Perk 2: Danger Close
Perk 3; Ninja

Equipment:Claymore

Gun: Scar or AK47 with grenade Launcher

Now with Danger Close equipped the blast and damage radius for your Grenade Launcher and Claymore's significantly increases. When you start a match drop your Clay in a high traffic area, fire your 2 nades and use your one man army and pick the same class and you just got a refill of nades and a new claymore which you can plant asap. But you can only have 2 clay's planted at any given time. And when you get Danger close pro Weapon fire from a vehicle is increased and calling in a Helicopter with Danger Close Pro is an automatic 4-5 kills.

I hate this setup particulary but I will use it when I get frustrated if my team is sitting around and not doing anything to help win the match.

silencer + scavenger + claymore + ninja + stopping power or hardline = great class for builing killings. You're great at sneaking around and killing people. Its a great camper build but i prefer putting clays in places i know people run through and I keep moving (once they spot you on a killcam you can bet they will head back to that spot)

Silencer on an assault rifle + one man army pro for more ammo + stopping power + jammer/commando/ninja or whatever. People really underestimate the advantages of using a silencer, and once you are racking up kills you'll need the ammo of one man army.

Silencer on an assault rifle + one man army pro for more ammo + stopping power + jammer/commando/ninja or whatever. People really underestimate the advantages of using a silencer, and once you are racking up kills you'll need the ammo of one man army.

Do you mean ammo from Scavenger instead of One Man Army? Or are you saying One Man Army gives you extra ammo because you can get a new gun?

Do you mean ammo from Scavenger instead of One Man Army? Or are you saying One Man Army gives you extra ammo because you can get a new gun?

Unless they fixed it you can switch to another gun then switch back. A friend was doing this to keep getting extra grenades for the grenade launch attachment on one of his guns.

People also underestimate the disadvantages of using a silencer, it reduces the effective "high" damage value for your weapon, adding an extra bullet to kill someone at range for most weapons.

On top of that OMA removes your ability to carry a secondary (always a launcher for me, usually Stinger for aircraft) and takes time do change. I greatly prefer Scavenger.

Don't all the good FPS PS3 players use the mouse + pad combination (whatever it's called)?

yea i hear what your saying about trying it first but cmon man its 10 bucks... its not much to lose... me personally i'd pay 30 for 1 of them if i had too. im sure you have wasted 10 bucks in your life plently of time before

Those clip on pieces of plastic? Seriously, the tiny amount of extra leverage you're getting by using those does nothing. Just increase your aiming sensitivity and get used to it, thats pretty much the effect you're getting by using those.

Well, you're gaining more area of movement, probably about double. Your overall range of motion is identical but you don't have to worry about moving your fingers too much for finer movements.

I don't use 'em but I see the logic behind 'em.

Don't all the good FPS PS3 players use the mouse + pad combination (whatever it's called)?

You can use the Mouse Keyboard combo with UT3 on the PS3 but that's the only game I know that uses it. If MW2 had that option, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

I really like using the perk Scavenger because not only do you get your ammo back and you get your grenades back as well. Plus with the pro you get more ammo. I love it with Scar.

Learn the maps, watch for camp spots and choke points.
Use different builds and strategies for each map.

Since you're new, I recommend something with the following builds: Slight of Hand+Stopping Power+Commando or Steady aim. Slight of Hand allows you to reload quicker and pro will allow you to aim down sight with your weapons quicker. Stopping power helps make up for poor aiming, and will help with weak assault rifles that are easy to use like the m4a1. Steady aim or Commando will help you when you get close.

The best advice I can give is "Be Aware of Your Surroundings". Take your time and look around, unless you're playing against me. If you are, then I love it when you run around like a chicken with your head cut off...lol. Also, practice strafing while you're firing even when aiming down at an opponent.

With all the hacking going on, I'm currently using an m4/tar+silence+scavenger+cold blooded+ninja. With this stealth build, I played around ran with a pack of enemies on underpass before only to stab em in the back...it's funny as hell. Kind of like being a spy in TF...hahaha

Camp harder than everyone else you ever play against in the game, and you will only lose occasionally.

-ahhsomeone

ROFLMAO

pump action shotgun (put a smg in your primary) with marathon, lightfoot and ninja. You would be surprised how easy it is to get behind groups especially at the beginning of the game with this setup. Great for favela and quarry.

Thanks for the tips y'all. Seems like I have my ups and downs on most of the games I play. AvP is coming out really soon so I'm going to be all over that. I'll be back to MW2 when I've gotten my fill from AvP (which will probably be a long time).

ayone know a good demolition tatic?

In regards to what? If your defending the bomb site try a load out with a grenade launcher and a c4. Pull back away from the bomb site and if an enemy comes in and starts planting hit the c4 or shoot the grenade.

If your on offense go with a marathon, lightweight package with tactical insertion. Lay the insertion somewhere near the bomb site and continue making runs on the site till you get a chance to plant. Great for CTF too!

Back