Strangely high temps with an i7-6700k, what did I do wrong?

digicat

Limp Gawd
I just put together a rig using an i7-6700k on an ASUS Maximus Hero VIII and a CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler. I used AC-MX4 thermal paste. I applied a small lentil bean sized dot of the paste, put the cooler on, then removed the cooler to double check the spread. It didn't spread out well, so I added a little more and wiped it around on the heat spreader (with the heatsink) on the CPU then attached the cooler again.

Looking at Core Temp and the CPUID Hardware Monitor, I'm seeing some really bizzare fluxuation in the tempratures of the 4 cores. Idle temps seem to mostly hover in the mid mid/low 20s, but will frequently are bounce up as high as the mid 50s for a second.

It only took 6 minutes on Prime95 for one of the cores to reach 81 c (81/80/70/76 maxes).

What might I be doing wrong?

Prime 95 small fft? If large fft or blend, then something is wrong.

Hmm, apparently I flipped out the idles without letting it sit for a while.

I popped the cooler off the CPU, wiped off the MX4 on both the cooler and the CPU, used Arctic Clean to clean up both, then reapplied the MX4 as a small dot in the middle, then carefully re-attached the cooler and carefully tightened it up. I didn't yank it off again to check the spread pattern.

Anyways, I powered it up and let CoreTemp just log idle temps for a few hours while I took a trip to the store and did some errands. Looks like it produced an entry every 10 seconds. Here's what I got (hh:mm:ss). Looks like it took 45 minutes to settle down.

temp-chart.jpg

The system was up for several hours before this, so maybe I just put too much paste on it before?

Primes95 is next.

Ok. Primes is no good. Still the same crap. I'm doing the blended test.

Any ideas? The system's desktop also froze and forced me to reboot a few times in the past few hours.

The drop off at the end is primes getting turned off.

toohot.jpg

I am also using a CM 212 with a 6700k. Are you overclocking? Also I read, I think if I remember right, to not use Prime 95 with skylake.

I use Aida 64... my temps idle are high teens and when testing hit maybe mid 70s for high but generally stay around high 60s low 70s.

No OCing. Ok. No Primes. I'll check out ADIA 64.

My idle temps seem to be around 30c. The room's temp is around 21c, and the temp inside the case (from a theromometer that I placed inside the case away from the flow of the fans) is around 22c.

I trried Prime 95 to see what I got in comparison...

I hit mid 80s. So I think your system is fine is I looked comparable to you. Just maybe to much on the stress testing and also looks like the CM 212 cant hang with it.

Remember that the CM 212 is a mid to low end budget cooler.

Last edited:
I trried Prime 95 to see what I got in comparison...

I hit mid 80s. So I think your system is fine is I looked compable to you. Just maybe to much on the stress testing and also looks like the CM 212 cant hang with it.

Remember that the CM 212 is a mid to low end budget cooler.

How long did it take for you to hit the mid 80s on Prime95?

Basically I wouldn't worry about stress testing. You are not overclocking atm and ideally you will never hit those temps real world.

I'm just trying to verify/validate the build to ensure that the components are good and that I didn't make any errors.

It seems that coretemp 1.0 r6 (with logging turned on) was causing the freezes. At least, it caused a bsod and the freezing only occurred while coretemp was logging.

Hmm, I tried lowering the CPU core voltage to 1.260, and now the CPU isn't cooking like it was. and I'm actually getting a few points higher in 3d Mark.

Prior to this, CPU core voltage was defaulted to auto in the BIOS, and seemed to be hanging around between 1.32 and 1.36 while running under load.

Any downside to running with a slight undervolt?

I just thought I'd throw out there that Intel has been known to have changed from fluxless solder to thermal paste between the die and the heatspreader in the past few years as a cost saving measure. Maybe this has something to do with your problem.

Core Temp locks up my PC as well, along with listing incorrect temps at idle (way under ambient air temperature). HW Monitor has so many bogus values I can't even bother to consider it. Does any app work mostly correct for Skylake or are we stuck with a variety of mediocre apps?

Hmm, messing around with this some more, I reset the bios and flashed it with the latest revision, then tried the Prime95 test again. Much different results! The red lines are my temps, the faded colored lines are the super-high temps from before the BIOS flash. 10 to 20c difference here. Wow. I guess the "auto" setting for CPU core voltage was broken in the old BIOS version the board shipped with.

nothot.jpg

Apparently "Auto" actually meant "Oven", ha! Glad you got that worked out, really stinks when you have an issue but didn't do anything wrong to cause it.

Back