Strange XP Networking Issue

Wipeout

Limp Gawd
I know this is the OS Forum, but once you read the issue, you might see why I don't think it's a networking/hardware issue.

I have a Centrino notebook here in our small office that has stopped fully working on the office network. By that, I mean he has internet access through the network (surfing, e-mail) and he can print to the print server (one of the Linksys ones). However, he cannot access any computers on the network by computer name or by IP. I've verified all of the network card properties are all correct. NetBIOS is enabled. No Windows XP firewalls are turned on. In short, I've done everything that I can think of that would fix something like this. Any ideas?

It appears that the cause for the problem was plugging into another company's network at a field office - he was able to surf and everything from there, but things have not fully worked here since.

I had the same problem with my comps, I fixed though I have no idea how. Look around in the networking/hardware forum, this is a very common problem.

When you say can not access, do you mean he can not even ping them?

Plugging into other network you said: I experienced this and the selution was to release the IP's.

With XP and WIN98 connected to it, I use"winipcfg" command from dos prompt, a screen appears, you chose the correct adapter, then chose release, then connect to your network and reboot........Let it assign IP's again.

With XP to XP I think it must be "ipconfig"...to see adapter, then "ipconfig....adapter name /release"...see ipconfig help also.
1-1st go "ipconfig /release"
2-Then go "ipconfig /renew".....havent use this one but assume it must be plugged onto network for this.

I may also go to System....Hardware....DeviceManager.....then chose adapter, then disable and enable the adapter again.

This worked for me.

I've tried releasing and renewing as well as disabling and enabling the card in the network connections window. I may go to the extreme and "remove" the card from the Hardware settings in the Control Panel.

XP gave me grief when I didn't have passwords set for the username. Once I gave myself a password, networking worked fine in all instances.

Let's see...I've tried all the suggestions. I can issue NTBSTAT from the problem computer to other computers, but cannot issue it from a computer to the troubled laptop.

Pinging, using run to get to computers with NetBIOS names, nothing works. I can, however, access things by IP. Weird. I still can't figure out what's going on. I completely uninstalled both networks cards (wired and wireless). Firewalls aren't on. TCP/IP is configured properly. I'm out of ideas. I don't like jerry-rigs, either.

You can ping everything by IP, but not by name, correct?

Run ipconfig /flushdns

Also check the host file.

Wipeout said:
I know this is the OS Forum, but once you read the issue, you might see why I don't think it's a networking/hardware issue.

I have a Centrino notebook here in our small office that has stopped fully working on the office network. By that, I mean he has internet access through the network (surfing, e-mail) and he can print to the print server (one of the Linksys ones). However, he cannot access any computers on the network by computer name or by IP. I've verified all of the network card properties are all correct. NetBIOS is enabled. No Windows XP firewalls are turned on. In short, I've done everything that I can think of that would fix something like this. Any ideas?

It appears that the cause for the problem was plugging into another company's network at a field office - he was able to surf and everything from there, but things have not fully worked here since.

Is he on the same domain? hehe

might wanna try winsock fix, if you cant use the dns name to ping. i've seen this countless times on dorm computers where i work. ad-aware or spybot have a winsock fix, either works fine. just something else to check

Does that computer have a program like ZoneAlarm install?

I ran into a similar problem on a computer where I thought I had disabled zonealarm, but I had to actually unstill the program to get it to work.

Back