Strange x99 taichi behavior (4f then off)

I have an Asrock x99 Taichi with the POST code LED. The board begins POSTing running through different codes. When it hits 4f, it shuts off. I've reseated the CPU and tried different RAM, video card, and PSU to no avail. If I take the RAM out or put RAM in the wrong slots, I can get the board to hang at different places in the POST routine without shutting off. It kind of feels like the BIOS is corrupted, but the backup BIOS does the same behavior (although I guess the previous owner could have corrupted both BIOSes). Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does anyone know what 4f means (Asrock has no useful info)?

Do you have a x99 mb to test the cpu in? Or someone that will let you use theirs? Orrrr can you borrow a cpu to test in yours?

I cannot recall 100% for sure but I've experienced something similar like this on my x99m killer board a few years ago. Somehow (which I don't quite understand) when I disconnected all the front/system panel header pins and just leave the power pin on, I'm able to boot up.

If the board is new to you, but used, and you didn't get the CPU with it, you might check to make sure there aren't any bent pins in the socket. That can cause all sorts of problems, depending on which ones are bent.

You've tried all the really obvious stuff like clearing the CMOS, right? What about testing with other memory, in case it just doesn't like one of the sticks you're using?

Back