Strange wireless problem... help please

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
This is very odd...

I have an 802.11g router that I've had for about 3 years and it has worked great. My 3-year old Compaq laptop has an internal Broadcom card. It worked fine on the network until just a few weeks ago.

Now, I can't connect to my own wireless network... most of the time, I can't even see my network. But, my wife's new HP laptop has no problem, and her old Powerbook has no problem. The weird thing is... that I can see (and connect) to my next door neighbor's Linksys network with no problem at all... anywhere in my house.

So why would my laptop not be able to access my own network, which I know works fine, but can access my neighbor's network without a problem?

Edit: I should mention that I've also tried other PC card adapters and had driver issues with both. My friend is letting me borrow one of his this weekend to see if there is a difference.

Are you using the Intel Proset drivers? If so update them.

Sounds like you have a profile for your WLAN that is corrupted, possibly thinks you want to ignore your network. Either way this looks like a software problem, drivers or windows. Try uninstalling all drivers for your wireless card, then uninstall it from device manager. Then install a fresh copy of the latest Broadcom/Proset drivers, NOT the drivers that come with Windows or WIndows update.

GL

Thanks for the suggestions... instead of using the downloaded drivers, I used the drivers from the application CD that came with my laptop and it worked fine. I did not have the Intel base system driver (or whatever that was... all my other systems are AMD)

Strange though that it let me join other networks but not my own.

Back