Strange WinXP app launch error

t3knokon

n00b
I did a few searches and didnt come up with anything useable, so here goes...I recently updated to XP SP3 and wasnt satisfied with the changes. Next, i used System Restore to revert back to the point before installing SP3. Now, everytime I launch an spplication Windows starts the Microsoft Installer for about 1 -2 seconds and then quits. Its literally an instant! However, I dont know why this has happened and I even tried to System Restore to an earlier point and the same app execute error still exists. I suspect maybe a resgistry setting has been changed? Anyones thoughts are welcome please :]

You are probably talking about this little windows installer dialog that comes up when you first start a freshly installed program, for instance word or excel correct?

Does the program open after this box goes away? In my experience, when you start messing with adding and removing service packs, and rolling back to system restores, you can have quirky issues. I prefer, for several reasons, to completely disable System Restore when I first set up a system, and leave it that way. I'm also not sure what "changes" you didn't like in SP3, but it sounds like if the system was running slower or had some issues, you may have had malware on the system or you forced an update when a driver compatibility was found.

If you can't get apps to run, I'd take a minute to slip stream SP3 into your media and consider a clean install. If you can get your apps to run after this message, run a registry cleaner, such as CCleaner and see what that does.

You are probably talking about this little windows installer dialog that comes up when you first start a freshly installed program, for instance word or excel correct?

Yes! exactly that. Whenever I launch a prog. it runs the windows installer just for an instant and then closes. I've never come across this kind of issue before.

Does the program open after this box goes away? In my experience, when you start messing with adding and removing service packs, and rolling back to system restores, you can have quirky issues. I prefer, for several reasons, to completely disable System Restore when I first set up a system, and leave it that way. I'm also not sure what "changes" you didn't like in SP3, but it sounds like if the system was running slower or had some issues, you may have had malware on the system or you forced an update when a driver compatibility was found.

If you can't get apps to run, I'd take a minute to slip stream SP3 into your media and consider a clean install. If you can get your apps to run after this message, run a registry cleaner, such as CCleaner and see what that does.

The changes that i was dissatisfied with were the new security features. I shouldve phrased it a bit more detailed i suppose, but more specifically, when i ran sp3 for a while i noticed that my settings for my pc / ps3 media center setup had changed somehow and i couldnt get it to work again properly. I couldnt figure it out and simply gave up. As far as my system running slower, i didnt notice any change.. i will attempt to use the CCleaner tomorrow and post my findings. Thank you very much for the responses! [H] rules!

Update***
I ran the ccleaner and it actually stopped the MSI Installer from running when you launch non MS programs, now however it still runs when you launch any MS related programs. In the event viewer the first error / notification it shows is that its seaching for an OSXL10 or MSXL10 file (I think thats what its named) in the MS Office directory. I have office 2007 student edition installed, which is office 12 i believe? Not sure if there is a correlation there. Any further thoughts?

I know you dont want to format, but why dont you copy over your necessary files and then you can start fresh.

Update*** I tried to disable the Windows Installer service and that seemed to have no effect whatsoever

I know you dont want to format, but why dont you copy over your necessary files and then you can start fresh.

thank you, i think thats what is going to have to happen. I cant seem to find any other solution. Something in Windows is telling the MSI Installer to launch when you open an app and i cant seem to find out how to fix that issue...

ahhhhh...i think that very well may have been the problem! the [H]ard|Gawds have spoken. Thanks for everything, im just gonna bite my lip and reinstall the OS. Its been a very long time since ive done that for that particular system. its mainly used for music and movies in the living room so theres not really much on it. Thank you all for the help!

Final update***

Problem solved! A very blonde lady friend showed my just how smart she can truly be, "Isnt the MSI thing a program? Cant you like reload it?" HA! I figured what the heck, as I was going to reinstall the OS so it was worth a try. I D/l 'ed and installed the Windows Installer 4.5 redistributable, and BAM problem solved. I even read that there is some sort of correlation between office 12(2007) and SP3 and that sort of error / corruption. Wow, tonight she gets dinner on me =] thank you [H] team

-t3k

Back