Strange Ryzen behavior with Nvidia vs Amd

Diseaseboy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, when I run 3DMark's Time Spy benchmark with a Ryzen 1600 and a GTX 1060 it reports the boost clock as 3700. When I run the same benchmark with a Radeon 480 it reports the boost clock as 3400. Kind of strange. Any ideas as to why this would be?

Its been proven that nVidia has bunk drivers in relation to Zen. Its possible cpu is juat working harfer to feed the nvidia part. AMD cards work far better on ryzen and I bet the GPU is not driver bottlenecked like the nvidia junk is.

I'm getting drastically different Time Spy scores between the 2 cards. I get a 4300 Time Spy score with the GTX 1060 and only 3500 with the 480. I swore when I first built the system and benchmarked the 480 with it I got close to 4300. I think something is up.

Its been proven that nVidia has bunk drivers in relation to Zen. Its possible cpu is juat working harfer to feed the nvidia part. AMD cards work far better on ryzen and I bet the GPU is not driver bottlenecked like the nvidia junk is.
According to this nvidia drivers rely on the cpu for more than amd graphics drivers do. It's very possible that with more cores nvidia just issues out more worker threads.

Check this out. Screenshots of 2 Time Spy results with the Ryzen 1600 and Radeon 480. One I did when I first built the computer and one this past week. The first score was 4417 and they have the Ryzen turbo clock at 3700. The second score I did in the last week was 3535 with a max turbo clock of 3400. My GTX 1060 scored a 4364 with a turbo clock of 3700. Something is up with my system. I have done complete uninstalls of radeon drivers and it doesn't seem to change things at all.

https://goo.gl/photos/HV9xQ446yvHhDLxH7

pretty sure [H]'s review proves otherwise, the numbers are within 1% of the RX480 and and GTX 1060 so that arguments over.. as far as games go there are still a bunch out there that still aren't optimized for ryzen.

Check this out. Screenshots of 2 Time Spy results with the Ryzen 1600 and Radeon 480. One I did when I first built the computer and one this past week. The first score was 4417 and they have the Ryzen turbo clock at 3700. The second score I did in the last week was 3535 with a max turbo clock of 3400. My GTX 1060 scored a 4364 with a turbo clock of 3700. Something is up with my system. I have done complete uninstalls of radeon drivers and it doesn't seem to change things at all.

remember that the boost clock only works on single and double thread usage so if one of the other threads has some kind of load on it due to another program the boost clock will not activate. that's most likely what you're seeing happen. i'd chalk it up to windows load balancing throwing a fit for some reason keeping the boost clock from activating. i've never used timespy so i have no clue if it's a single threaded or multi-threaded application.

According to this nvidia drivers rely on the cpu for more than amd graphics drivers do. It's very possible that with more cores nvidia just issues out more worker threads.

the only thing i find odd with that is what he's claiming about the nvidia drivers is exactly why the AMD drivers have so many performance issues in dx11 but not in native dx12 so why all of a sudden would nvidia be showing the same characteristics of AMD's drivers in an API that has been working fine since day one for them.

Last edited:
pretty sure [H]'s review proves otherwise, the numbers are within 1% of the RX480 and and GTX 1060 so that arguments over.. as far as games go there are still a bunch out there that still aren't optimized for ryzen.

remember that the boost clock only works on single and double thread usage so if one of the other threads has some kind of load on it due to another program the boost clock will not activate. that's most likely what you're seeing happen. i'd chalk it up to windows load balancing throwing a fit for some reason keeping the boost clock from activating. i've never used timespy so i have no clue if it's a single threaded or multi-threaded application.

the only thing i find odd with that is what he's claiming about the nvidia drivers is exactly why the AMD drivers have so many performance issues in dx11 but not in native dx12 so why all of a sudden would nvidia be showing the same characteristics of AMD's drivers in an API that has been working fine since day one for them.
There is one small issue with your argument. The 1060/480 would not tax the CPU enough. The issue we have seen, well what little evidence that has surfaced, was in regards to the 1080 (non Ti) against the FuryX. Likely if there really is an issue it would require stronger GPUs to exacerbate said issue enough and neither the 1060/480 are strong enough for that.

So does anyone have any idea why my 480 score would drop so much? Or was the first run some anomaly.

So does anyone have any idea why my 480 score would drop so much? Or was the first run some anomaly.
Sounds like a driver conflict, yeah I know you redid drivers but... Try setting up a profile in AMD Radeon setting for Timespy with everything to Application settings. I had an issue once where they were conflicting and that fixed it for me.

Thanks I will try that. I did use DDU to make sure everything was cleaned out but I will try your suggestion.

Nvidia has had a number of driver releases since, Windows has had updates -> Chances are this is really no longer an issue and I do believe HardOCP would have shown it if it was.

Nvidia has had a number of driver releases since, Windows has had updates -> Chances are this is really no longer an issue and I do believe HardOCP would have shown it if it was.
Still an issue in the occasional game but no more than a few games where the 480 equals or beats the FuryX. But here this thread it is the reverse as the Nvidia seems to operate correctly. Likely a driver/settings conflict.

Keep in mind that you need to enable Core Parking for boost to work properly. If you used the standard Balanced plan initially and then switched to the AMD Ryzen Balanced plan, that would explain why boost is lower, since the Ryzen plan disables core parking.

You can re-enable core parking with ParkControl:
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/
Set it to enabled, and 0%.
Or if you don't want to install third party utilities, run from a DOS prompt as Admin:
Powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec 0

Powercfg -setactive scheme_current
(if you want to disable core parking again, run the same command but with 100 instead of 0)

Last edited:
Make sure power management, frame rate targeting, and chill are off in your AMD catalyst gaming global options.

Thanks everyone, hopefully this weekend, I will have time and try your suggestions.

This really bums me out. Now i want to get rid of my 1060 and get a 580.

Still have not had a chance to play more with my system. New bios came out for my motherboard and I know both Nvidia and AMD came out with updated gpu drivers. Have to do more testing. However, with the prices I am seeing used 480s go for (because of the mining craze) I am tempted just to sell the 480 and keep the 1060 now.

Still have not had a chance to play more with my system. New bios came out for my motherboard and I know both Nvidia and AMD came out with updated gpu drivers. Have to do more testing. However, with the prices I am seeing used 480s go for (because of the mining craze) I am tempted just to sell the 480 and keep the 1060 now.
sell em both and get a 1070\1080

Well, updated my motherboard's bios. I got my ram to run stable at 2400 and updated AMD radeon drivers. I did a clean install and used DDU in safe mode to get rid of all nvidia and amd drivers and registries. I also made sure the 3dmark setting in the Radeon drivers were set to the global defaults and power saving was not enabled for the GPU. No difference the score :( The only exception was 3DMark finally reported the turbo core of my Ryzen 1600 as 3700 now. My only alternative would be to reinstall Windows 10 but I really don't want to do that. I don't understand why the sudden difference.

Can't you just do an install over it? I know, sounds like work but you get your files back.
Get brave and use Regedit.

After browsing in more detail other TimeSpy scores I think what I am finding is normal. My 480 is a standard clocked one and if I look at scores with the same GPU clocks they are about what everyone else has. I am thinking there was some anomaly the first time I benchmarked. Still am considering just picking up a 1080 and selling my other cards.

After browsing in more detail other TimeSpy scores I think what I am finding is normal. My 480 is a standard clocked one and if I look at scores with the same GPU clocks they are about what everyone else has. I am thinking there was some anomaly the first time I benchmarked. Still am considering just picking up a 1080 and selling my other cards.
do it now while the price is high.

Back