Strange RAM behavior - overclock CPU, 1/2 RAM disappears

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
(I think this began happening after updating BIOS on MSI GD80 motherboard, after initial flash attempt went bad. This is on Vista 64 with Corsair DDR 1600mhz memory.)

Here's the problem: task manager only recognizes 2GB of RAM, even though BIOS and system properties shows 4GB of RAM. This happens when I overclock the "frequency" of the CPU, i.e., 19x190 mhz or 20x190 mhz, and run the RAM on a divider.

It's kind of convoluted. At first, I thought the problem only happened if I enabled XMP - Corsair RAM only shows up as 1333mhz rated, but when I enable XMP, it shows up as 1600mhz, as it should. So I disabled XMP and the problem went away, or so I thought.

But the problem persists. If I enable XMP and set everything to auto with the RAM, all my RAM appears again, but that automatically makes my CPU "frequency" run at 160mhz. If I increase frequency to 190mhz, then I lose half my RAM in Windows.

No idea what the fuck is going on here.

This is a queer problem. I figured out why, when I enable XMP, the multiplier is forced to 160 - that's the number that produces exactly 1600mhz DDR3 speed when the divider is set to Auto.

So I disabled XMP and chose some numbers and dividers that would also produce 1600mhz memory speed, and all my RAM showed up again. If I chose a different combination of multiplier and frequency and divider - which results in 1520mhz RAM speed - only 2GB shows up.

What is this craziness?

Back