Strange problem with Windows Server 2003 and Remote Dekstop Web Connection?!?

jdub12

Limp Gawd
Heres my situation:

I have a server at home with win2k3 on it and it is behind a firewall on a cable connection. I opened port 80 up and forwarded it to the local IP of the server as well as setting it up as the DMZ for good measure.

I have the current server roles installed:
File Server
Application Server (IIS, ASP.NET, etc.)

I also downloaded from MS the TSWeb executable that installs the TSWeb folder in the wwwroot of the server and suposedly configuring the computer to accept Remote Desktop connection via the WWW or IE, etc.

Now my problem lies in connecting to the server thru IE. It basically wont connect. I have set up the TSWeb folder under the Server Administration and gave the Application Server the location of the TSWeb folder, assigned a port to it etc.

Funny thing is, when I try to connect to the server from outside the local network on the Internet from a friends house using the Remote Desktop Application that XP has built in....I can connect without a problem. So therefore, I know it works. But when I use IE and specify the ip/TSWeb, it fails to connect.

Upon further investigation, I started playing around with the "Web Interface for remote administration of web servers" which I use IE to connect by IP:8098. I connect to the server via the web interface, though its not like Remote Desktop. Its just a config screen for the IIS Server portion. This is where I specified all of the settings for the TSWeb folder, etc. Anyways, there is a link to activate the Remote Desktop. Keep in mind, im doing this from IE and it pops up another box and yields the following message. "You must enable remote desktop to use this feature."

Well technically it is right? I can connect using the Remote Desktop tool that XP has, and furthermore, when Im trying to access the computer from within its local network on my spare computers that are hooked up to the same router I can get the feature to work using IE or built in Remote Desktop app.

Anyone have a clue as to what is happening? As a summary, I can connect locally (within the network) via RD App or IE (TSWEB). Outside on the Internet, I can only connect via the RD App, but I can connect to the Server Administration Page for IIS6.0. However I cannot take myself thru the Server Administration page to the link provided to connect via Remote Desktop.

Is there another server role I need to enable like the ones provided, "Terminal Server" or "Remote Access/VPN"

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate your input and feedback!

well i figured it out....my ISP blocks port 80 incoming traffic. No wonder I couldnt get any response. Sorry to bother you all.

Back