Strange problem I've been having

Braamer

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know for sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it's the best I could do.

I've been having some strange issues lately with my computer. On cold start-up after sitting overnight, the computer will not turn on. It will boot to the BIOS, but it never recognizes the USB because the keyboard and mouse lights will not turn on and it hangs. It does not matter if I unplug all USB peripherals, it will still hang. After multiple attempts to boot, the lights on the keyboard and mouse will flash and it will boot. About 1/4 of the time, I have to reset BIOS options because it loads an older BIOS. This does not happen with a reboot or shutdown and restart if the computer has been used and is warm.

Also, while in Windows 7, my GTX 260s idle temp is normally around 40-45 C. But after being logged in for a period of a couple hours or more, idle temps hit and stay above 70 C. If I reboot or log out and back in, idle temps go back down to the normal temps. Case ventilation is good, and I've used compressed air to clean out the card's heatsink.

My guess is either issues with the motherboard or the power supply. Does anyone have other ideas? Any help is appreciated.

My first thought was power supply or motherboard as well.

You mentioned it loading an older BIOS, is this a board with a backup BIOS?

I would say the power supply should be the prime suspect, after that a failing mobo. Is that a Windsor you're running? If so, between that, the 1950 and 6 GB of RAM that's a lot of stress for an aging PS and/or mobo.

I would say the power supply should be the prime suspect, after that a failing mobo. Is that a Windsor you're running? If so, between that, the 1950 and 6 GB of RAM that's a lot of stress for an aging PS and/or mobo.
It's actually a Brisbane. I guess it's a crap-shoot between power supply and mobo. Would you guys guess mobo or PS with the boot-up issues and not detecting USB?

Argh!

p.s. updated my sig, I'm running a GTX 260 instead of a x1950 Pro now.

Bump. I'm heading to Microcenter tomorrow and I would like to know if my best opportunity is with a power supply or a motherboard.

I have a couple of Cooler Master PS and they're excellent quality. After re-reading your issues, in this instance, I would actually consider the mobo first over the PS, considering the symptoms aren't quite typical PS symptoms.

However, it would be a hell of a lot easier to test for a bad PS first. Have you looked at your mobo to see if any of the caps are leaking?

I have a couple of Cooler Master PS and they're excellent quality. After re-reading your issues, in this instance, I would actually consider the mobo first over the PS, considering the symptoms aren't quite typical PS symptoms.

However, it would be a hell of a lot easier to test for a bad PS first. Have you looked at your mobo to see if any of the caps are leaking?
I checked for leaking or bulging caps a couple of days ago, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll probably grab a motherboard and cross my fingers. Thanks for helping.

Back