Strange problem in Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an eVGA 6600 Vanilla (rest of the specs in sig).

I have a DVD version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance that I got from friends in Japan.

The opening movie and all the menus work fine. But when I play the game, everything is colorless and transparent looking:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Strange...

I have the newest drivers installed (81.98), used Driver Cleaner and all.

Any ideas?

I'll give you a tip, it'll be a while before you get help on this one...

That game was terribly ported to PC, although it ran fine on my 9600 Pro last year or so...

Whaa... where can I get a PC vertion of this, I love MGS, my first game for my PS2 and BigBOX.

------

-Proxy :cool:

The PC port of MGS2 Substance was total crap, I'm sorry to say. All it was was a really quick conversion of the Xbox version, without regard to the fact that most people don't play on 2001-era GeForces and Pentium 3s. :p You're not alone with your problems.

Proxy said:
Whaa... where can I get a PC vertion of this, I love MGS, my first game for my PS2 and BigBOX.

------

-Proxy :cool:

www.gogamer.com

snagged it for 7 bucks on there madness sale :D

Also this game works fine on my computer.
Make sure you patch the game.

OMG defiant!!! Your tip worked!

And yes, the graphics aren't great, even at the highest resolution and color setting.

I got this from a friend in Japan when I went to China the past summer. I know you can get MGS2: Sons of Liberty, but I didn't know you can get Substance. Follow Netrat33's link, they have it for $13.

Thank you all so much for the help!

PigCorpse said:
OMG defiant!!! Your tip worked!

And yes, the graphics aren't great, even at the highest resolution and color setting.

I got this from a friend in Japan when I went to China the past summer. I know you can get MGS2: Sons of Liberty, but I didn't know you can get Substance. Follow Netrat33's link, they have it for $13.

Thank you all so much for the help!

Heres the fix if you want to get it to play at full details:

There is a way to fix this. Over at the Konami boards Tomasz posted a way to fix the game fo the ATI all in wonder. These are his instructions, read them but read what I have to say at the end before doing anything:

1. Install MGS2.
2. Install the ATI 2.0 patch.
3. Find the files mgs2.exe and mgs2_sse.exe within the directory where the game was installed.
4. Backup a copy of each of these original files!
5. Open mgs2.exe with a hex editor... Frhed is a nice free utility that will suffice for this job: http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html
6. Look for the string RADEON, which starts at the following offset: 0x5f6e44.
7. Replace RADEON with ALL-IN. Don’t add or subtract anything else
8. Save the file.
9. Repeat steps 5-8 for mgs2_sse.exe. Note: this might not be necessary; on my system, Metal Gear seems to only use mgs2.exe… also, the hex offset will be different, but it’s easy to find by analogy.

Right, now you will need to follow the instructions but do a couple of things differently. At point 6&7 instead of replacing "RADEON" with "ALL-IN", replace it with "GeForc". Note the capital G and F and no e on the end. Near (right next) to where it now says GeForc, there will be the string "GeForce" (this starts at 0x5f6e4c in mgs2.exe and 0x5fd83c in mgs2_sse.exe). Replace "GeForce" with anything else as long as it has the same number of letters. The game will now use the Radeon graphics path on a geforce card and looks a hell of a lot better (tested on a GF 6800).

Yeah, especially considering this was posted in the nVidia section of the message board. ;)

edit: Sorry Defiant, you just posted before I did. LOL, didn't read it that well beforehand either. Ah well. We all make mistakes. :)

Back