Strange Problem - Can't connect to some sites...

I'm running Vista Home Premium with IE7 and Firefox

I'm at a hotel here, and sometimes, when I connect to the wireless network, some sites won't load, but others will work fine. If I disconnect from the network and reconnect, the sites that previously would not load end up loading just fine. Then later on other sites will not load, and I have to disconnect/reconnect. For example, I could not connect to this forum at all, then I disconnected and reconnected to the network, and now it works fine.

I cleared all cookies and temp files, and this is a relatively new install of Vista. This happens with either IE or FF. I just don't understand it... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ok, what does it say when you try to load the sites? Connection timed out? Couldn't find server? Connection refused?

Ok, what does it say when you try to load the sites? Connection timed out? Couldn't find server? Connection refused?

These are important questions. Maybe not so important but that I am interested to know is what version of the browsers you are running....x86 or 64?

@ Scream and Fly
Try this:

You'll need to turn off Windows Auto tuning. This is a feature in Vista which actively "shapes the size of your packets" to get better performance. As soon as I had a chance to use vista at work before it came out, I found this issue.

Some routers and some networking equipment cannot handle this feature correctly so you get extremely slow download speeds and trouble connecting to certain and even sometimes, most websites.

Disable TCP Auto-Tuning

Open elevated command prompt with administrator’s privileges.
Type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
Enable TCP Auto-Tuning

Open elevated command prompt with administrator’s privileges.
Type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

I believe that this could be a fix for your issue.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks everyone, and I'll definitely try that sondo2121. The message I would receive would be "can't find site..." It wouldn't even wait - it would come up with that message instantly, while other sites would load. Strange!

vage, I am using x86.

Can't find site? That means that it couldn't take the domain name and turn it into a ip address. In other words, it is a problem with your dns settings. Try another server, like open dns or the easy to remember '4.2.2.1' '4.2.2.2' '4.2.2.3' servers.

Can't find site? That means that it couldn't take the domain name and turn it into a ip address. In other words, it is a problem with your dns settings. Try another server, like open dns or the easy to remember '4.2.2.1' '4.2.2.2' '4.2.2.3' servers.

Yeah, either try what I said earlier and / or try the DNS stuff jbog91 recommended. Either one of those or both should get you going again. I use OpenDNS as well as my own DNS server and my Internet is noticably faster....its all about the domain resolution time!

Back