Strange problem after cloning image to a new drive

thesmelliestsock.

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm hoping to really pick your brains on this one, I'm stumped at the moment.

I have a Toshiba laptop that came with a 640GB 5400RPM HDD. I recently acquired a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB drive, and I figured that I'd sacrifice the capacity difference for a faster drive. I cloned the image on my original drive to the new one and had no issues thus far and have certainly noticed a performance increase. I am however having one small annoyance... My PC is recognizing the drive as a 640GB rather than 500GB. I've done extensive searching on how to restore the proper capacity characteristics but so far no methods have worked for me. Although the drive shows a 640GB capacity, the free space properly reflects what the drive has left for storage.

This hasn't affected my general usage of the computer, but it's just weird and I would like to correct the issue. If anyone has a suggestion for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried er, uninstalling the drive from Device Manager then rebooting? In theory, that should force Windows to detect the drive again.

I cloned the image on my original drive to the new one
I'm not sure what you mean. You don't clone an image, you clone your HD.

An image of your OS is compressed and usually doesn't contain the OS files.

I'm not sure what program you used but it sounds like your free space on the origional drive has been "compressed" out of the drive.

A clone needs to be done in DOS.

I've used Acronis for years and recommend you try Migrate Easy to do a clone.

Good Luck!

What sw did you use to clone the drive?

I used Disk Copy by EaseUS.

I'm not sure what you mean. You don't clone an image, you clone your HD.

An image of your OS is compressed and usually doesn't contain the OS files.

I'm not sure what program you used but it sounds like your free space on the origional drive has been "compressed" out of the drive.

A clone needs to be done in DOS.

I've used Acronis for years and recommend you try Migrate Easy to do a clone.

Good Luck!

Disk Copy is a bootable software similar to Acronis.

·PitBuLL·;1038539723 said:
I used Disk Copy by EaseUS.

Disk Copy is a bootable software similar to Acronis.
... except Acronis works. :p :D lol... sorry, couldn't resist. G-Parted is also a very popular, free alternative. I've never heard of EaseUS, so I'm not sure how well it works; but since you're having an issue, I'd suggest using Acronis or G-Parted instead, if you don't find a fix.

I was always under the impression to guarantee no issues the new drive had to be the same size or bigger than the old one???

I was always under the impression to guarantee no issues the new drive had to be the same size or bigger than the old one???
LOL!

You're right!

I got the whole thing @ss-backwards and thought he lost space!

Sorry OP, I have no idea how to fix it and you probably wouldn't want any suggestions from me! :D

Yuengling+telephone+laundry = Major Screw-ups! LOL!

This is mostly true. However in many cases, programs such as DFT and SeaTools are supposedly able to correct this issue. However, neither seem to be recognizing my HDD (original or new) when I boot into them. Very strange.

·PitBuLL·;1038543316 said:
This is mostly true. However in many cases, programs such as DFT and SeaTools are supposedly able to correct this issue. However, neither seem to be recognizing my HDD (original or new) when I boot into them. Very strange.

Acronis will clone to a smaller disk.

Alternatively, use gparted to shrink the partition small enough to fit in the new space, then use something like clonezilla. Both programs are 100% free.

Thanks. The reason I still read HardOCP and dropped so many others. An old dog sometimes needs to learn a new trick.

I appreciate the suggestions guys. I'll keep doing some research to see if I can resolve this without re-doing it all, but it's good to know that the tools are available in the event that I do. I was able to get SeaTools to recognize my HDD by setting my controller to compatibility mode, but after choosing to restore my HDD to it's native size it still hasn't reflected that in Windows.

Back