Strange price spike on older Samsung EVO microSD cards

Ceph92

Limp Gawd
Can anyone explain this? Why is the price of Samsung's older (green) MicroSD cards 5x the price of newer (blue) cards? What don't I know? Maybe the old one is TLC and the new one QLC?

It's not just amazon, I'm seeing this all over.

Attachments

• samsung_evo_microsd_price_spike.png
    samsung_evo_microsd_price_spike.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 0
'Cause green means "money" to most people, but unfortunately, the people who should care about this. don't, and also have a clue what the differences are....

But I know I have seen this trick many times over the years when new versions of products come out but the old ones are still available, and somehow, people just continue to fall for it .... not only on da "Zon, but alot of other places too *cough*da 'egg*cough*

It's probably because the old SD card has been discontinued and the only ones left for sale are just the remaining stock being sold off. However, since the old ones are scarce the price goes up and some people aren't smart enough to realize that the new one is probably as good as the old one. Also, it's likely the sellers of the massively marked up ones are third party sellers.

You do need to be careful when this happens, especially with the Amazon only Samsung microSD cards. I know at one point they brought out new ones and discontinued the old ones and the new ones had about half the max write speed as the old ones. The price between the new and old were the same for the capacity but the performance was definitely less.

Back