Strange noise when turning on and off Xbox 1 (video included)

Krieger91

[H]ard|Gawd
Since that last update this has been happening. It sounds like the optical drive is checking for a disc or something, but I don't have one in, and the sound is totally new aswell.

It sounds like a single "chug". I'm pretty sure it's not the hard drive.

I bought the console on march 11 and have had no problems so far.

http://youtu.be/nm7sKr9PHoQ

Put a disc in and see if it changes. If you have a disc in, take it out and see if it changes.

Usually a full power down reboot fixes most issues always try that first. Hold Xbox button on front for ten seconds wait a few then press it again and let system boot back up.

Usually a full power down reboot fixes most issues always try that first. Hold Xbox button on front for ten seconds wait a few then press it again and let system boot back up.

Or people can do it the way that's less mean to computer components. If you change the power settings from Voice on to I think Power saver and then do a power off it will do a complete shutdown. Then you can just go back into settings and turn back on voice on back on.

Or people can do it the way that's less mean to computer components. If you change the power settings from Voice on to I think Power saver and then do a power off it will do a complete shutdown. Then you can just go back into settings and turn back on voice on back on.

Umm I don't think holding down the button for 10 seconds to turn off the XBox is "mean" to it.

Holding down the button is the only way to clear system cache and is the recommended method per Xbox support.

Last edited:
Umm I don't think holding down the button for 10 seconds to turn off the XBox is "mean" to it.

It is to the UPS and Hard drive. They don't get kill commands and would be like yanking the power from the wall.

Holding down the button is the only way to clear system cache and is the recommended method per Xbox support.
I don't know if this is actually the case. It has worked for every other bug that has required a power off. I don't see why a full proper shutdown and an ATX style emergency power override would have two different results with the emergency shutdown being the only one to clear temp files.

It is to the UPS and Hard drive. They don't get kill commands and would be like yanking the power from the wall.

I don't know if this is actually the case. It has worked for every other bug that has required a power off. I don't see why a full proper shutdown and an ATX style emergency power override would have two different results with the emergency shutdown being the only one to clear temp files.

Yes your right and the entire Xbox support staff and all Xbox ambassadors and Xbox support forum mods are all wrong.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/disc-error

•Try performing a full power cycle of your console
A full power cycle reboots the console fully. Doing this does not erase any of your games or data. Here’s how: 1.Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds.
2.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
3.Try playing your disc again.

Last edited:
Wait is this the first Xbox? or is it the Xbox One machine that was released recently? /joke

Wait is this the first Xbox? or is it the Xbox One machine that was released recently? /joke

The one that's oh so wonderful.

On topic, here's the best way to fix it (or how people I know fix things at least):

fbsmsh.gif

Yes your right and the entire Xbox support staff and all Xbox ambassadors and Xbox support forum mods are all wrong.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/disc-error

•Try performing a full power cycle of your console
A full power cycle reboots the console fully. Doing this does not erase any of your games or data. Here’s how: 1.Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds.
2.Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
3.Try playing your disc again.

I am not debating whether or not Microsoft lists it as a solution to clear one particular problem. But I don't personally believe that the contention that that an emergency shutdown and power back removes temp files that a full proper shutdown and restart wouldn't.

My guess is that the guide includes that because it doesn't require setting changes. Which would overly complicate the matter both in instructions and with general users that won't let themselves go from A-B and back again without getting lost because of fear of electronics.

Back