Strange new link on MSI's Neo4 Platinum SLI webpage

smellyfatchick

Weaksauce
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.msicomputer.com/msiapps/SLICampaign.aspx

This is really strange. It says that their is a "free upgrade" to use an Athlon X2 and a 7800GTX. You have to send your K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI (MS-7100-020) or K8N Neo4/SLI (MS-7100-030) board and they will ship back to you a "re-energized board". Besides the fact that they send you that little SLI cooling bracket I don't see why you have to give them your motherboard in order to use an X2 nor a 7800GTX. Maybe they are going to replace the capacitors due to the overreaction of the 2nd GTX not fitting perfectly? And the X2, I'm not sure why you'd have to send the board to them in order to "take better advantage" of the X2 though. I thought that all that was needed was a bios update for this. Something doesn't sound right here.

I know there is a couple of thing they could do to the board (the -5 pin mod and that capacitor mod), but I don't think it makes sense to do this as a "campaign".

Re-enegize? Sounds more like a stealth re-call. Bad move, MSI. You don't think the customers can smell the BS?

i thought the board was already dual-core ready?! am i wrong? i thought, since it was s939, that all it needed was a bios flash

phoderpants said:
i thought the board was already dual-core ready?! am i wrong? i thought, since it was s939, that all it needed was a bios flash

me too. I'm wondering if there is some unforseen problem with the x2's that no one has experienced yet?

Well I guess I will send it in. I hope the board changes don't affect my overclocks

As I said in a previous thread. ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/Platinum Period!

They'vebeen making reliable boards for quite some time now.

I bought my msi board because it was [H]ardOCP "Must Have Hardware!" I can't RMA the stupid thing though, cuz Newegg only returns for same item. dang! I soooo wish I could have bought the ABIT SLI board now.

JadeDM said:
As I said in a previous thread. ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/Platinum Period!

They'vebeen making reliable boards for quite some time now.

Yeah but there are those of us that are stuck with this board

Definitly interesting, the capacitor issue is overblown, a little nudge if necessary to throw in another 7800GTX, but I have not heard of X2 issues though.

tazzmissionx said:
Definitly interesting, the capacitor issue is overblown, a little nudge if necessary to throw in another 7800GTX, but I have not heard of X2 issues though.

Yeah, I emailed them about what is exactly done to the board that "re-energizes" it. I doubt they'll email me back and if they do will probably be very vague about it. Who knows, maybe they need the motherboard so that they can tape a little coupon for 1/2 off AMD X2 processors to reward the Neo4 users for sticking it out. haaa.

Sounds like to me MSI is doing the right thing and fixing a problem where a lot of other companys would say tough shit. Obviously they are fixing the clearance problem when using 2 cards and they are most likely flashing the bios to make it Dual core capable,not a bad idea since you could kill your board trying to do it your self. It's not dual core capable unless you can plug one in and have it work without doing anything yourself to make it work. Give them some credit for dealing with the issue and stop pissing and moaning like a bunch of cry babies..

OK, here is what I got from numerous calls with their technical support and a couple searches.

It seems that a simple bios update would be needed to enable dual core. Its only making the dual core "boot up" and not using the full capability of two cores.
A you might know, they are doing a whole overhaul on their bios and releasing a brand new one to enable FULL support of the x2 series.

I recently purchased the MSI Neo4 Plat for my x2 setup, and have decided to RMA it back to newegg and order the DFI LP UT nforce 4 ultra d (939). I saw this too, thought of the problems in the future I might have, ESPECIALLY if I get win64. MSI's software based solution is not compatable with win64.

Thats why I now believe DFI is more stable, which is kinda fuked up because I bought the Neo4 in the first place because of stabability.

phoderpants said:
I bought my msi board because it was [H]ardOCP "Must Have Hardware!" I can't RMA the stupid thing though, cuz Newegg only returns for same item. dang! I soooo wish I could have bought the ABIT SLI board now.

Uh, yea you can, file a wrong order!

WoW!! MSI should fess up for putting out a bad design. I had problems galore when I bought this board back in Feb. The CBBID 219 issue and SLI not working on a cold boot issue was killing me. MSI tech support guys kept saying a bios fix is in the works. WoW!! The MSI forum admins that did not have the board kept saying telling users that it was you ram, your power supply etc etc...
MSI should just drop ship us the new boards and wait for our boards to be returned. :mad:

whiteboy said:
Uh, yea you can, file a wrong order!

wait, how does that work dude? i've had the board for about a month and a half now i think. i can't really say i ordered the wrong thing can i? still, even if i do say i ordered the wrong thing, the "return only for same make and model" still applies doesn't it?

thanks for the info.

hmm, it'll be really tempting to get the abit board if i can dump this poo-crap msi board, on which i STILL cannot get my onboard coax spdif out to work. ugh.

aw, a month and a half? Thats probably impossible to any kind of refund or replacement now. I ordered mine about a week ago, so RMA is still valid (under the term wrong item ordered policy) If I were you I wouldn't stress about it unless your having some big problems. MSI makes good boards, they just have sporatic bios support and technical support in terms of communitys could be better.

Sorry :(

what kind of bullshit is this? they try and disguide a major recall as a "free upgrade" or "re-energizing"?

that is spin Brit Hume would be proud of

If the standard BIOS does not post with the X2 and the shipped BIOS, then that campaign makes a lot of sense. Besides, they can perform a minor adjustment to the capacitor's height, and give you a little gimmick. MSI just need to states it more clearly. Now it just confuses a lot of customers.

Having used this MOBO for a month, I definitey think this is a great board. After I was done playing around with overclocking/tuning, it has not been crashed for almost three weeks straight now. It's also a great overclocker (306*8.5 here @stock everything).

I think we have not been treating this mobo fairly. The whole award-pulled fiasco started with just an overclocking problem with a run of CPU's, which should not even affect most of us, then, it became a big issue because the MSI community is so big and vocal - MSI's user forum is probably the biggest and most active one of all manufacturer's foums. They send letter to Anand, H, and every major site, notifying them the issue.

After that every single issue have been blown out of proportion. Even that "You need to push a capacitor a bit to install a second 7800 in the MSI SLI board" became "MSI's board are not compatible with 7800's". The RAID issue did not help either (BTW, it has been fixed already).

Yeah the board is not perfect and probably not the best. That does not mean we are screwed buying this board.

whiteboy said:
OK, here is what I got from numerous calls with their technical support and a couple searches.

It seems that a simple bios update would be needed to enable dual core. Its only making the dual core "boot up" and not using the full capability of two cores.
A you might know, they are doing a whole overhaul on their bios and releasing a brand new one to enable FULL support of the x2 series.

I recently purchased the MSI Neo4 Plat for my x2 setup, and have decided to RMA it back to newegg and order the DFI LP UT nforce 4 ultra d (939). I saw this too, thought of the problems in the future I might have, ESPECIALLY if I get win64. MSI's software based solution is not compatable with win64.

Thats why I now believe DFI is more stable, which is kinda fuked up because I bought the Neo4 in the first place because of stabability.

Your going to need a bios upgrade with the DFI to use X2 also.....................

I read a post by AMD somewhere that stated as long as your current bios supports the Rev. E chips then it would run fine with an X2 it would just run as a single core until you updated your bios to one with X2 support. This seems to be the case because my MSI board shipped with 3.1 and I was able to post and flash to 3.3 with no problems. I guess if you had a really old bios without Rev. E support it may not post and thats why they are offering to do that for you.

so basically there is something wrong with the hardward of the mobo, something that a new bios cannot overcome, that prevents X2 CPU's and SLI from performing correctly?

jsn117 said:
so basically there is something wrong with the hardward of the mobo, something that a new bios cannot overcome, that prevents X2 CPU's and SLI from performing correctly?
As far as I know, no one has complained about not being able to use X2 and SLI on the board as of now. So I guess we should stop making theories about what we don't really know.

Supasso said:
If the standard BIOS does not post with the X2 and the shipped BIOS, then that campaign makes a lot of sense. Besides, they can perform a minor adjustment to the capacitor's height, and give you a little gimmick. MSI just need to states it more clearly. Now it just confuses a lot of customers.

Having used this MOBO for a month, I definitey think this is a great board. After I was done playing around with overclocking/tuning, it has not been crashed for almost three weeks straight now. It's also a great overclocker (306*8.5 here @stock everything).

I think we have not been treating this mobo fairly. The whole award-pulled fiasco started with just an overclocking problem with a run of CPU's, which should not even affect most of us, then, it became a big issue because the MSI community is so big and vocal - MSI's user forum is probably the biggest and most active one of all manufacturer's foums. They send letter to Anand, H, and every major site, notifying them the issue.

After that every single issue have been blown out of proportion. Even that "You need to push a capacitor a bit to install a second 7800 in the MSI SLI board" became "MSI's board are not compatible with 7800's". The RAID issue did not help either (BTW, it has been fixed already).

Yeah the board is not perfect and probably not the best. That does not mean we are screwed buying this board.

You weren't the one stuck with one of the "run of CPU's" that were affected, which incidentally were ALL of the Winchesters that were put out at the time the board became available (CBBID). So if you wanted to go Winchester/SLI at the same time on the recommendation of Anandtech and [H]ardOCP, you ended up with a bad CPU for OCing. They justifiably pulled the award and made notations of the fact in the article in my book. That being said, the 7800 issue is blown way out of proportion. And my SI controller never did work right while I had the board except in the 3.0 Bios.

Some people think they are stuck with the board. I sold it and got a different one. I was sick of putting up with nonsense that "should" have been fixed in a Bios update.

Back