Strange networking request (VPN related)

just2cool

Gawd
So, I have DD-WRT running on my router at my apartment..and it's great. I recently enabled the VPN server (PPTP protocol) and it works well. However, my college leaves the wireless AP's open, and instead uses a Cisco VPN (IPSec) to authenticate.

The problem is this...I'm trying to do the following:
Wireless Laptop -> Apartment
But all network traffic has to go through the Cisco VPN...

So, what I want to do (I think) is:
Wireless Laptop -> School VPN -> Apartment

I thought it would just work somehow off the bat...probably due to my lack of networking experience. I've messed with the routing tables a bit, but I just want to know if it's even possible to do what I'm trying to do on my end. I can successfully connect to my network at my apartment, but I can't access any of my network.

What you are trying to do is theoritically 100% possible. It seems like you have passed the authentication phase and are stuck on phase 2.

Are the two networks in the same IP space, this will cause routing issues if so. Check this.

Also, with the amount of overhead from both VPN encapsulations, I wouldn't be surprised if the SMB request isn't just timing out.

The school's APs are on a 172.0.0.0 network.
The school's VPN is on a 128.0.0.0 network.
My apartment is on a 10.0.0.0 network.

I don't really know what a SMB request is, but the network connection to my apartment will stay connected for as long as I'm connected to the wireless network at school. Also, at random intervals, it blinks.

Any ideas?

just2cool said:
The school's APs are on a 172.0.0.0 network.
The school's VPN is on a 128.0.0.0 network.
My apartment is on a 10.0.0.0 network.

I don't really know what a SMB request is, but the network connection to my apartment will stay connected for as long as I'm connected to the wireless network at school. Also, at random intervals, it blinks.

Any ideas?

SMB is the protocol which Microsoft uses to share files and printers(mainly). There also may be a NetBIOS issues, which the protocol that takes care of the primary communication between windows hosts in LAN.

Can you ping the specific machines from the laptop while connected to your VPN?
Can you ping their hostnames?

Back