Strange 'lights' appearing in Rainbow Six Vegas...

ahmadka

Limp Gawd
Well, I just got Rainbow Six Vegas, which seems to be quite good. Anyway, I am seeing these strange 'lights' in the game. They only appear at some very specifc angle, and just appear on the screen for a split second, and then disappear...

here is a screenshot of them...

vegaserrorsot9.jpg

What do you think this could be ??

Please note, that I sometimes, also see some similar glitches appear in a few other games too...

Doom 3: I start seeing artifacts after 5 minutes play, if the resolution is above 1024x768, with other settings max...

NFS: Carbon: game hangs if I enable motion blur...although if I enable is during the race, the game is fine, provided I dont exit to windows...

Other games I have tested that work perfectly at max settings are the following, although I dont play play for more than 40-60 minutes in a go :p, meaning they are not 'rigorously tested' :

Age of empires 3
Quake 4
Oblivion
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
NFS: MW
UT2004 (old is gold)
Battlefield 2

Please note that I am using an eVGA 7900GT CO (factory overclocked) card...

So whats the logic behind those 'lights' ?

Are you OCing your CPU? I don't thnik artificats like that would be caused by a monitor. Looks like something from the graphics card.

Only thing that made me think monitor was its Red, blue, green (component?)

I would check it out on a different monitor. Has this happened with different video driver versions, if not call Boston, they may know

I would check it out on a different monitor. Has this happened with different video driver versions, if not call Boston, they may know

The fact that it shows up on a screenshot makes it impossible that it would be caused by the monitor, wouldn't it? :confused:

could be driverz but it´ll be very strange, or it could be your vid card the first 7900GT batch that came out had a problem with some electronic parts if i recall correctly. Are the temps on your card in a normal range?

looks photoshoped ><

just kidding, id try newest drivers and downclocking your gpu to stock settings, not the pre oc'ed stuff

It appears to me as if the Aqua Teen Hunger force campaign is at it again. I would call in the Bomb Squad

Actually I had kind of similar overclocking artifacts with my 7950GX2

We all know memory overclocking (or just too much heat on the vRAM) tends to render random pixels the wrong colour, quite often black, white or pink (for some strange reason) but not unknown that they could be any colour value.

Now in 3Dmark06 which I use to test overclocking stability on the floating baloon ship scene when I get memory artifacts they get exadurated from simple mis-coloured pixels to a sort of cloud of wrong colour, most usualy light pink/purple.

Im wondering with all the post processing work done on scenes with blur, motion blur, HDR and other effects like that, that the miscolouration of one pixel can cause that to be enlarged, we already know that PS (pixel shaders) work on a per pixel basis.

I would definately log the temps for the card over a hefty gaming session where you see them artifacts and report back, if it's too hot and you're overclocking then you've overclocked too much.

If the card is as how it arrived then it needs to be RMA'd

well RMA'ing is not an easy option for me right now because I got the card imported from USA...so if I need to have it replaced, I would have to ship it back to USA, which, needless to say, can be costly.......

So my primary aim is to try and get the problem fixed by myself, even if that means I have to deal with slightly lower clocks, etc...

With that said, How do I log the temps while playing a game ? Which software...the only one I know is Fraps...

Also, I have a general question regarding this +/- clocking business ...

when you change the clock speed in windows, do you make a hardware based change, or a software based change ?

also, is +/- clocking in anyway dangerous ? I am asking because I have never +/- clocked myself before :p

With that said, How do I log the temps while playing a game ? Which software...the only one I know is Fraps...

Load up the nvidia driver panel and look for the temp monitoring, then keep that open in the background and play for 10 minutes and when you exit the game check the graph it should slowly raise to a max temp and we really need to know what that is.

Theres other tools which allow you to monitor and log your temps over time but theres really no need for these at this stage we only need an approximation.

when you change the clock speed in windows, do you make a hardware based change, or a software based change ?

When you alter clock speeds using the Nvidia control panel you're making a driver based change and so it's a software change, this is the most common form of overclocking because it can be undone quite easily.

You can however set the clock values in the video cards BIOS which will give it a more permanent overclock (I cannot stress this enough - I do NOT recomend this unless you know what you're doing)

also, is +/- clocking in anyway dangerous ? I am asking because I have never +/- clocked myself before :p

downclocking or underclocking is not dangerous that I'm aware of, your card runs at roughly 1/2 its normal speed when you're just at windows desktop (this is called the 2d speed)

Overclocking, or clocking your card higher than it should run it potentially dangerous, with extra speed comes extra heat and heat can damage components beyond repair, although it's harder to do permenant damage today it's still very much possible. If overclocking is done right with the proper cooling it's perfectly safe the only downside being a slightly shorter lifespan of your components and since they last so long in the first place this is never usualy a problem either.

The single dots on your screen where 1 pixel is miscoloured look very much to me like the video card memory is running too hot, this is a very typical artifact.

OK well, I had my final exams for my 6th semester here in my uni, so I cudnt report earlier on my current situation regarding this UFO style problem...

anyways, i took the liberty of monitoring the temperature of my card while running some games for some amount of time, to see if the card heats too much or something...

I used Riva Tuner to monitor the temps (I cudn't find the temp monitor option in the nVidia Control panel :p)...

Anyway, check this file of the temp logs of several games:

http://www.mediafire.com/?42m1jytmttn

In the logs, I ran 3 games for some times, all at MAX settings (except Oblivion):

Age of Empire 3 - about 12 minutes- about 66*C on average
Quake 4 - about 33 minutes - about 62*C average
Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent - 40 minutes - about 60*C average
Oblivion (not included in above log file)- about 35 minutes - about 56*C

Regarding oblivion, I ran the game at full settings/resolution, only 'Bloom' was used instead of 'HDR'..The game wont allow both 4xAA and HDR to be on at the same time...

Anyway, the result is, that even through the temp remains between 60 and 70, these games dont act strange......

So I dont think temperature is the problem causing artifacts in Vegas....its something else...!!

can someone please tell me how to downclock my card ? I want to try that before I go for a RMA...

I want to try that before I go for a RMA.

Dont know if you ended up RMA'ing the card, but it looks as though it was a nvidia driver issue, which is fixed in there latest version.

GeForce 7900 GT: Rainbow Six: Vegas–red, green, and blue stars
appear in the game when the ingame resolution is set to 1600x1200

Interesting,

Is this game built on any iteration of the unreal engine??

I used to get this on my old rig...but ONLY on Unreal Tournament.

Back