Strange issue with Server2K8R2/ Unifi Pro's and MacBook Air's

The Spyder

2[H]4U
I have a strange issue I am hoping someone on here might have some insight into. A few months back I switched to Unifi Pro's. Since then, a handful of only Apple devices have been having strange connectivity issues. The main affected users happen to be my tech, my CEO, and my own MBA. Our CEO has issues on his iPad 3 and both of us have i5/i7 2012 MBA's. Randomly throughout the day we will drop pings to our DNS server/8.8.8.8. My tech has documented all of this and submitted a ticket with Ubiquiti and after a 20~ message troubleshooting adventure, we were asked to RMA the units. I happen to have spares and swapped them out yesterday, only to have the same issue. Everything is on the latest firmware/controller.

Here is what we tried:
1) We ran air view and selected the best channels for the area (1,11 respectively)
2) Changed the encryption to AES only
3) Tried openDNS servers, no help- same issue
4) Changed the lease time to 1 day on our DHCP server (from 8 days)
5) Setup a test air router in the office, connected to it with no issues.
6) Tested with variety of Dell/Lenovo/Apple iPhone/Android devices and had no problems.

I am about to switch back to the non Pro's that we had no issues with.

I saw that there is a thread on the Ubiquiti forum for this... I'd post there for answers.

Try upgrading to 3.0.1 beta. I only have regular unifis but they have been rock solid with apple devices. I run my controller on Ubuntu though.

I have read every Apple related thread on there and none are having this issue. We never loose signal/have to reconnect or have connection issues. I will try the Beta on some spare units.

*Several Month update-
It's still a problem and affects MBA/RMBP/iPad3/4.
iPhones drop on and off, but are generally solid (no real complaints).
I hate to say I am thinking of buying a few test AP's to see if other brands replicate this problem, as Ubiquiti support has gotten us no where.

Last edited:
Apple wifi devices have a history of compatibility issues with managed wireless. Years ago, I remember having problems with them connecting to Cisco LWAPs. Took a while for Cisco to release a fix.
They always seem to work fine with consumer WAPs though.

What is channel bandwidth set to? I'd heard of issues with some *nix-type devices and HT40

Back