Strange issue with N580GTX cards

Hey guys,

I've been having a strange issue lately with my computer where it will begin to stutter, slow down, then black screen. The screen shortly shows some form of artifacting before shutting off, but the computer continues to run. Other times, instead of black screening, the videocard drivers will just crash.

At first, I considered that overclocking might be an issue, so I set everything back to stock timings and speed. In addition, I download all the latest drivers consistently for the past few months (so It's gone through several versions of drivers already), yet this problem persists.

So, is this problem originating from my GPUs, or elsewhere?

PC:
i7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz (1.28v, got a bad chip) w/ corsair H100i cooler
16 gig DDR3 Kingston @ 2000 ghz (rated factory as 2133) in dual channel
Maximus Extreme VI motherboard
2x MSI N580GTX lightning extreme 3gig cards
1,200 watt PSU

Last edited:
It's a pita but you should probably try each card individually if you haven't already. Artifacts usually aren't a good sign at stock clocks.

It's possible they're on their out but jesus christ @ your CPU/voltage, nothing about that can possibly be right (did you mean an i7-2700k? Or 4770k? or 1.5v?). Even if it's "only" 1.5v, dial that shit way back.

Have you been monitoring your system temps? Tried giving the cards a bit more voltage at stock clocks? I find that my GTX580s have needed a bit more to maintain near stock speeds as time has gone on, about 1.088v for 800MHz for my EVGA. It would blackscreen below that in SLI.

It's possible they're on their out but jesus christ @ your CPU/voltage, nothing about that can possibly be right (did you mean an i7-2700k? Or 4770k? or 1.5v?). Even if it's "only" 1.5v, dial that shit way back.

Have you been monitoring your system temps? Tried giving the cards a bit more voltage at stock clocks? I find that my GTX580s have needed a bit more to maintain near stock speeds as time has gone on, about 1.088v for 800MHz for my EVGA. It would blackscreen below that in SLI.

Lolercopters yes, IDK why I wrote that, I think I was in a rush. it is an i7 4770k @ 1.28v, if it were at 2.5, it would be fried.

The reason why I said it's a bad chip is because 85% of i7 4770k chips have been reported to reach 4.5 stable. Mine is not stable at any voltage at 4.5.

Temps on those cards are fine, it happens randomly even on desktop. I haven't had it happen too often while rendering/gaming

If it's happening in desktop mode, I'd suggest the problem is likely your motherboard or the SLI bridge. If it's fine when you're not running SLI, check the bridge or replace it.

Back