Strange issue with a GTX 285OC2

magictoaster

Limp Gawd
I'm having the strangest issue with my GTX 285OC2. From time to time, my screen will go blank like it's in power saving mode. It last for about 2 or 3 seconds, but it's mightily annoying! I've verified the screen saver settings and the power options but everything is properly setup.

I've never experience this before with my GTX 260, and I'm using the same monitor (Dell 2408WFP). I've tried both connectors on the GTX 285, same results.

Anyone care to speculate? :D

Have you tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it?
Is it only doing it while idle or while in 3D mode also?

I've tried with the last 3 drivers revisions with no success.

I did a complete uninstall each time, reboot, and then a reinstall. So far, I've noticed this in 2D when I work, and while gaming (F.E.A.R. 2 since it's the only game I've played lately).

The card is new, but it's warranty exchange I received a few days ago. The packaging was not that great (simple FedEx bubble wrap envelope inside a standard small FedEx box) but aside from a few scratches it did not look damaged.

I've completed F.E.A.R 2 using this card, with no other issues, so I'm not sure it's a dud card.

By complete uninstall do you mean just the nVidia uninstaller? Because that often leaves some files behind, use the nVidia uninstaller followed by DriverSweeper from guru3d, I hate to tell you to do it again, but it might do it...

It also might be your cable, which is probably the last thing you think about.

I've used the latest Driver Sweeper (1.5.5) after each try, should have mentioned this, sorry. Cable is the first thing I checked (screen end and video card end). :(

BTW, thanks for your help! :)

Alright, just wanted to make sure, I didn't mean just cable connectivity, I mean quality of, try another one, and there's always the chance it's something in the monitor that's acting up weird, a handshaking or something.

I'll try with a different cable (does not hurt to try!) but I'm pretty sure it's not the issue here since everything was working perfectly before with my GTX 260 with the exact same setup. I'll also watch for bent connector pins, just to be safe.

I've sent an email to BFG support and they've asked me to provide them with BIOS voltage readings. Everything is right where it should be so we'll see.

Edit : It's going back to BFG. They've suggested I try reinstalling the drivers, but that if the issue persist the card will need to be sent back...

Last edited:
My BFG 260 GTX had this problem as well, it would play fine in games but randomly black screen. I called them about it and they said send it in. The problem had transcended 2 Vista installs and a new motherboard. It's most likely just a dud.

Back