Strange IRQ problem

Sniviler

Limp Gawd
It seems windows is putting all following devices on IRQ 3 [ video card, sound card, network card, USB ports, microsoft ACPI-Complient system] all of which is causing BSODs.

When I go into safe mode all the devices are on their own IRQ.

I tried assigning IRQ'S in bios and Windows decides to put all the mentioned devices on IRQ 4 or whatever IRQ thats not being used. (IRQ's 3,4,5,7,8,9,10 are free)

There is no option in the bios for PnP OS.

Uninstalled/reinstalled devices .. no go.

My buddy's PC = Basic Windows xp sp2 box, AMD Athlonxp, 512mb, 2HD'S, 2 DVD burners...

Thanks

XP doesn't really have IRQ issues. The ones I have seen are application specific, IE bugs in the software.

What's are BSOD details? What is the title error, it should look similar to this: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Also give us the first 2 0x00000000 (0x00000000) info in the BSOD?

Thanks for the reply, I reinstalled the OS and still having IRQ issues.

Later on this evening I will replace sound and nic card with new cards.

If all else fails New MOBO here we come. :)

next BSOD I recieve I'll be sure to write down the error code.

Well, let me clarify, the OS handles multiple IRQs fine. So if you do have IRQ errors it's likely a hardware/BIOS issues, especially after a reinstall. The old TS step of juggling IRQs isn't necessary on XP. Either way I doubt it's an actual OS issue, maybe drivers. Did you load the exact same drivers as the original load, or did you load different/newer ones?

I'd clear and update the BIOS as well. GL

Phoenix86 said:
Well, let me clarify, the OS handles multiple IRQs fine. So if you do have IRQ errors it's likely a hardware/BIOS issues, especially after a reinstall. The old TS step of juggling IRQs isn't necessary on XP. Either way I doubt it's an actual OS issue, maybe drivers. Did you load the exact same drivers as the original load, or did you load different/newer ones?

I'd clear and update the BIOS as well. GL
Yeah, definitely a hardware/BIOS issue, ESPECIALLY (cant stress that enough) if you just reinstalled. Somethings not good with the mobo or its BIOS.

Thanks guys,Turned out for some strange reason the NIC was the problem.

replaced and all is well.

PEACE.

lesman said:
Yeah, definitely a hardware/BIOS issue, ESPECIALLY (cant stress that enough) if you just reinstalled. Somethings not good with the mobo or its BIOS.
Well, you say that until you meet the person loading bad images and/or using the exact same driver disks for the reinstall, thus loading the same software over and over... :D

Glad it's working.

Back