Strange HDTune results on S511

statikregimen

Limp Gawd
Hi, was hoping somebody had some insight about these strange results from hdtune on my ADATA S511 120gb SSD:

s511-hdtune-results-fail.png

Other information:
I've tried booting from another drive, and results are the same. Tried CrystalDisk, which gave slightly lower than expected results, compared to other review sites, but not to the degree that HDTune is showing (maybe 5% lower than average). Tried installing Intel's chipset drivers, which changed nothing.

I've used this drive on an AMD motherboard, too, which also got the same chaotic results, so it's not the controller.

AHCI and TRIM are both enabled.

It used to get a 7.9 WEI score, but recently checked again and now it's 7.8...However, the HDTune result was chaotic for the drive's whole life, so considering the WEI drop unrelated and/or anomalous.

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions! I'm fairly noob with SSDs, so hoping it's just a config issue somewhere, tho I think the drive still has some warranty left...

p.s. Full computer specs in signature.

Are you benching that drive while its your System Drive ("C" Drive")? If so the O/S is going to contend with the benchmark.

In any case if it were me I'd try performing a secure-erase on the drive and re-test. Secure erase can be done with a free bootable linux CD like PartedMagic (google it)

Thanks for the reply... In the screenshot, that test was done while the SSD was the boot/system/OS/"C drive"(whatever you want to call it...lol), however, as I mentioned, I have in the past also tried the benchmark while booted from another drive, with the same(ish) results...I can try again, though, just for kicks and giggles.

Also, what will secure erase do? Is that like a low-level format? I don't understand how that will help...Not saying it won't, because I have no idea...lol

Anyway, thanks again!

Ok, now I really do feel like something is wrong in my configurations somewhere ... Different drive (kingston hyperx), different computer ("rig 2" in my signature - a laptop)... It's not as chaotic, but still way below the bar....Looks like this:

wtf-kingston-hyperx-hdtune.png

This drive is literally brand new (only about 2-3 weeks old), also has AHCI and TRIM enabled... Similar peak and average readings... Also note the latency is all over the map...Wtfbbq?

Last edited:
I also want to point out, I've disabled defrag, indexing, made sure write caching is on, disabled pagefiles.... I see no reason for these results, other than I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe HD Tune is wrong, especially if CDM wasn't too far off.

Do you have EIST enabled in the BIOS?

EIST is enabled...

Well... there are some rumors out there on teh internets that enabling EIST and C-states may negatively impact SSD performance. But I haven't read anything definitive.

I think your case is more an HD Tune thing.

Change HD Tune's block size to 8MB if you want to see higher numbers.

Thanks, I'll try that, but what really concerns me, is the chaotic graph. All the review sites for just about any SSD i've seen tested, is a relatively smooth, horizontal line. Perhaps the different block size will smooth it out, though? I'll check and report back.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: I didn't even let it finish...no point in abusing the drive. It did yield higher numbers, as you said, but every bit as chaotic, jumping wildly between about 520mb/s down to around 300mb/s... That just doesn't seem normal, or in any way consistent with the results I've seen for other S511s or even other SSDs in general.

EDIT 2: I just saw a review on guru3d that makes me feel a little better...Their results are similar to mine. They didn't seem to comment about it, so...idk, maybe it's nothing. I just mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't any blatant configuration/setup steps I had missed somewhere.

Last edited:
Back