strange hang's / lock up's

shadowlord

2[H]4U
hopefully someone could help me with a strange problem

i'm running a epia cn1000eg, with 510mb ddr2, 80w morex psu, esi maya44 soundcard, usb wireless lan, and some usb gadgets.

after finishing the install of xp and drivers while tweaking the system to my likings, i experienced short hangs. just the fragment of one second the system freezes, the mouse lags and the sound is replaced by a "beep" like sound.
i changed the soundcard to a usb one and the problem still exists.
right now i'm re install everything, but to me it looks like a more serious problem.
when the problem first occurred, the "hangs" where very frequent.
after a restart the time between the "hangs" is longer now.

anyone experienced the same, or knows a solution ?

any help would be appreciated.

did a new install, only xp, mobo drivers, graphic and sound drivers, foobar and it still happens.
althought the hangs are now shorter.??

tried it it with a 235W psu today, and still no luck.

i will try it tomorrow with another pci soundcard.

maybe i could borrow some ddr2 as well.

good guess underoath..

epia system uses a 400gb sata samsung hdd

i connected the usb hard drive today which i used to transfer the music files.
played without any problems !!

i then connected the sata hdd to my main rig, i'm listening to the tracks right now without any problems.

so my guess is that the epia sata controller is bad or the something other on the board :(

i believe you can download a samsung hard drive diagnostic from their website. just burn it to a disk and test the hd.

i tried it with a new seagate barracuda es today and it worked without problems.
connected the samsung again and there are the "hangs" again.
tried to set the samsung to use the 1,5 gb/s data rate with no success.
strange thing is that the samsung works in my gaming rig without problems :confused:
i will try to get an replacement samsung tomorrow since the volume of the seagate is to loud for my needs. (home theater)

thanks for your help so far.

Back