Strange green lines with an ATI 5850 and Dell 3007WFP

zomfgz

n00b
Hi all,

I'm getting a strange anomaly where when I hook my Dell 30" 3007WFP to my newly purchased and newly replaced ATI 5850 (I returned it for a replacement because I thought the card was giving me this problem, so this is card 2) I get flickering of horizontal green lines and dots across certain sections of my monitor. If I hook it to my Dell 24" or any other monitor for that matter, no problems. This flickering tends to appear maybe 10-20 minutes after its been turned on. Also if I change the resolution it goes away for a while. I haven't replaced the DVI cable to see if that's the source yet, but that will be the next step for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've included a mock up screen shot, a real screenshot won't capture these green lines, they also actually go all the way across the screen, but it's so fast you only just catch small sections of it unless you really focus. I'll try to make a video soon.

103zki1.jpg

I had the same problem with ATI 4850 video cards. Its an easy fix. Buy a nVidia Card.

There is something with how ATI based cards put out their dual-link DVI signal and problems with 3007WFP. From what I read on the subject from when I had the issue, ATI cards put out too weak of a signal.

I have just come to accept the fact that as long as I have this 3007WFP I can't have an ATI card. I had this problem back in the 4850 days and I've borrowed a friends ATI 5850 (I think that was the exact model) and the problem cropped up again. Switch back to a nVidia card. Everything is perfect.

Good luck. YMMV.

Link to my thread.

Link to my video. I also had the line issue, but didn't video tape that.

**edit** When I had the problem originally, there was some big article on it. My Google skills can't seem to find the article now anymore...

I have been through Crossfired 3870X2, 4870X2 and 5870 without seeing this issue with my 3007WFP. Try a different cable. If not, how old is the 3007WFP? I've heard of some issues with the EDID getting overwritten or corrupted by certain past video cards.

I have been through Crossfired 3870X2, 4870X2 and 5870 without seeing this issue with my 3007WFP. Try a different cable. If not, how old is the 3007WFP? I've heard of some issues with the EDID getting overwritten or corrupted by certain past video cards.

I have one of the originals, got it within a month of the official release. (March 06) The screen works great as long as I use a nVidia card.

Its going on 4 years old. I'm hoping it gives up the ghost so I can just get a new LCD. LCDs have come a long way in that time.

jvz555, But my 8800 said I wouldn't catch anything from DVI slot 1, only slot 2 was infected. That bastard!! :mad:

I bought mine back in October '06. I've been through 7900GTX, 8800GTS 640, through the other cards I've mentioned. You didn't happen to upgrade to the 5 year warranty on your LCD like I did, did you? :D Maybe its a known issue with the monitor and you can get it swapped out anyways..

Really the only issue I have had with mine is the hissing sound depending on how high I have the backlight and a problem related to the Dual-link DVI KVM I use when it tried to display lower 1920x1200. There was a weird image doubling problem with the KVM, which made looking through the BIOS a pain, but the KVM has since been fixed.

You may look into trying to override your EDID: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/edid_over.mspx

I bought mine back in October '06. I've been through 7900GTX, 8800GTS 640, through the other cards I've mentioned. You didn't happen to upgrade to the 5 year warranty on your LCD like I did, did you? :D Maybe its a known issue with the monitor and you can get it swapped out anyways..

Really the only issue I have had with mine is the hissing sound depending on how high I have the backlight and a problem related to the Dual-link DVI KVM I use when it tried to display lower 1920x1200. There was a weird image doubling problem with the KVM, which made looking through the BIOS a pain, but the KVM has since been fixed.

You may look into trying to override your EDID: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/edid_over.mspx

I'm a console gamer, so I really don't care about having the fastest card around since I do so little PC gaming. I only have the 3 year warranty. :( I've had a 8600, 8800, and now have a 9600 (I can't remember the exact letters after the numbers) and they have all worked perfectly. The problem is 100% isolated to ATI/AMD based cards. I've tested it over and over. The problem has crossed over ATI product lines and GPU releases.

The OP hasn't responded back yet. I perfectly fine just living with the problem until my monitor dies. I wanted to let the OP know he isn't crazy.

I noticed that as well occasionally. I thought it was the monitors way of saying it was on the way out. (had my 3007 since 2006) so no chance of warranty on mine.

Though it really only seems to show itself when the monitor is first turned on.

Ah well i think its due for a replacement soon but my options are limited if i wanted to keep the single large display/res.

Hi all,

I'm getting a strange anomaly where when I hook my Dell 30" 3007WFP to my newly purchased and newly replaced ATI 5850 (I returned it for a replacement because I thought the card was giving me this problem, so this is card 2) I get flickering of horizontal green lines and dots across certain sections of my monitor. If I hook it to my Dell 24" or any other monitor for that matter, no problems. This flickering tends to appear maybe 10-20 minutes after its been turned on. Also if I change the resolution it goes away for a while. I haven't replaced the DVI cable to see if that's the source yet, but that will be the next step for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've included a mock up screen shot, a real screenshot won't capture these green lines, they also actually go all the way across the screen, but it's so fast you only just catch small sections of it unless you really focus. I'll try to make a video soon.

103zki1.jpg

I'm having the same problem with my 5970's and a Dell 3007WFP. Still looking for a solution.

I have tried the cards separately and they bench out fine. Temps are way up there after benching as well and the line problem only occurs randomly, it has nothing to do with stress on the GPU's.

Had this problem with my 4670 on a 3007WFP. Replaced it with a 3008WFP and never had the problem again. Isn't an issue on my 5970 either.

It could just be a fault with your DVI-D cable and not some odd incompatibility between the monitor / VGA card.. as when I received the 3008WFP it came with a new cable, didn't use the same one.

Had this problem with my 4670 on a 3007WFP. Replaced it with a 3008WFP and never had the problem again. Isn't an issue on my 5970 either.

It could just be a fault with your DVI-D cable and not some odd incompatibility between the monitor / VGA card.. as when I received the 3008WFP it came with a new cable, didn't use the same one.

Already tried the cable swap, same issue. I have warranty on the monitor so I think I will get another on the way.

I believe this is a connection quality issue, as in the card DVI connection itself. I had this issue with a couple 8800GT's and some HP LP3065's. Changed to some 4850's and the problem went away.

I can't remember who, maybe it was Hard OCP, but I believe they did a study on the signal quality between AMD and nVidia with AMD winning out with that current gen at the time. Maybe it just depends on the reseller?

I believe this is a connection quality issue, as in the card DVI connection itself. I had this issue with a couple 8800GT's and some HP LP3065's. Changed to some 4850's and the problem went away.

I can't remember who, maybe it was Hard OCP, but I believe they did a study on the signal quality between AMD and nVidia with AMD winning out with that current gen at the time. Maybe it just depends on the reseller?

Mine was the opposite. I had 2 4850's one from Asus (which I RMA'ed, both cards had the issue) and another one from MSI. I've used an MSI 8600, Asus 8800, and now a EVGA 9600 all without any problems. The article I read when I was having the problem said that the ATI cards put out a weaker dual link DVI signal than the nVidia equivalents. I can't remember who did the article either, and I can't seem to find it on Google. I did find the signal quality article from Tom's Hardware. That article was done back in 2004 before there really were any dual link 30" displays on the market. At least any affordable ones.

From all the other responses, it seems that the problem is really hit or miss. To me it just seems like maybe the dual link DVI standard may be more picky that DVI and this is causing the issue. Look at HDMI and its handshake issues. Its been out for a long time and people still run into issues.

I never had this issue with the original 3007 and an ATI X1600 Pro series card. I lost 3 x 7900GTX to the default windows screensaver, and couldn't find anymore at the time in Canada, not even Dell could get, so I needed something with dual DVI output, at that point I gave up on 3d on that monitor. ATI didn't have anything competitive, and the 7900GTX quality control was MIA. I sold the 3007 with the warranty 7900's still sealed in the box.

Ok, I have a 3008 on the way, and we will see what piece of hardware is the culprit.

Dell was supposed to upgrade me to a 3008, but instead they sent a 3007WFP-HC.

The problem is still present. I really think that this is an incompatibility between the 3007 and the ATI signal. It's definitely temperature triggered, where after benching for an hour, the problem is gone.

Dell was supposed to upgrade me to a 3008, but instead they sent a 3007WFP-HC.

The problem is still present. I really think that this is an incompatibility between the 3007 and the ATI signal. It's definitely temperature triggered, where after benching for an hour, the problem is gone.

How do you get them to send you a different model when you RMA your panel?

Maybe they told him they would upgrade his 07 because of the problem.
Someone either made a promise they had no power to fullfill, or the RMA department didn't know his was to be upgraded?

Have you tried the card in a different slot yet? Would have thought the new monitor would have fixed the issue. Had the thought that maybe it's not drawing the DVI power from the PCI-E power connector at all, but from the slot instead and for whatever reason it is not sufficient.

When I RMA'd my 3007WFP due to dead pixels they sent back a 3008WFP, though I have a feeling it was just because they were out of stock on the older models at that time.

When I RMA'd my 3007WFP due to dead pixels they sent back a 3008WFP, though I have a feeling it was just because they were out of stock on the older models at that time.

That is what I thought also, but they must have gotten a 3007HC in after the fact.

Have you tried the card in a different slot yet? Would have thought the new monitor would have fixed the issue. Had the thought that maybe it's not drawing the DVI power from the PCI-E power connector at all, but from the slot instead and for whatever reason it is not sufficient.

I have 2 of these in CFX. I tried each card individually and swapped them out as well, but it makes no difference. That's why I thought it must be related to the monitor. Also, the problem goes away immediately if you switch to a lower, non-native resolution.

Mine was the opposite. I had 2 4850's one from Asus (which I RMA'ed, both cards had the issue) and another one from MSI. I've used an MSI 8600, Asus 8800, and now a EVGA 9600 all without any problems. The article I read when I was having the problem said that the ATI cards put out a weaker dual link DVI signal than the nVidia equivalents. I can't remember who did the article either, and I can't seem to find it on Google. I did find the signal quality article from Tom's Hardware. That article was done back in 2004 before there really were any dual link 30" displays on the market. At least any affordable ones.

From all the other responses, it seems that the problem is really hit or miss. To me it just seems like maybe the dual link DVI standard may be more picky that DVI and this is causing the issue. Look at HDMI and its handshake issues. Its been out for a long time and people still run into issues.

sound's like a QC issue with Dell, not AMD, I have a dell 3007wfp-hc and I haven't had a problem with either brand

Nice how they'd send you an upgraded model. Indeed sounds like an issue with Dell. AMD goes blameless this round.

Well guys, I think the issue is resolved. Let's take a poll and I will let you know what the fix was/is:

A) Defective Graphics Card
B) Monitor Incompatibility
C) Defective Cable
D) Weak PSU
E) Driver

Which one do you think solved this ?

Flopper hit it - It appears it was the cable.

I had been using the same cable from my past 3 3007's, and I guess I just never thought that the ATI's had any different signal output from the Nvidia cards. The pixel sparkling in black to gray I always got with ATI cards is gone, along with the green and blue horizontal random lines. It has to be ge signal degradation with a cheaper (Dell) cable, or maybe the cable had a weak solder area ?

Added: I almost forgot to verify by swithcing the cables back, which I will do later tonight and report back.

Last edited:
Did you switch back? I just plugged my 3007HC into my 5870 for the first time and got some of the horizontal green lines. None of the white sparkles i got with my 4870 though.

Im considering buying 2 more 3007s for Eyefinity so I'd love to hear if you could reproduce with the old cable.

Did you switch back? I just plugged my 3007HC into my 5870 for the first time and got some of the horizontal green lines. None of the white sparkles i got with my 4870 though.

Im considering buying 2 more 3007s for Eyefinity so I'd love to hear if you could reproduce with the old cable.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I swapped out those 5970's with 5870's and returned the new cable. No problems whatsoever with the 5870's in crossfire with the old cable. I just got in another pair of Diamond 5970's and hooked up my old cable and guess what - a few random green lines, but nothing near what I had with the Gigabyte 5970's. I will get another high end cable and confirm.

i had this type of issue with my HD4870. The fix was actually in Windows. I had green lines, then artifacting then completely illegible green mess on my screen.

I went to the Windows control panel and somehow, the color-bit settings were changed w/ the addition of the card. Changed it back and haven't had any issues since.

I had a problem with green lines and dots across my whole screen on a dell 3007wfp-hc, only with aero enabled, and only in windows.

It ended up being a bad XFX 5870, I am currently running tri-fire, and was able to return the xfx to microcenter for a diamond, working fine now.

Another update on my issue. I just swapped out my 3007 with the 3008, and the issue is resolved. I suppose there is the probability of having 2 3007's in a row be bad, but I am doubtful. Considering that the high end cable gave some resolve, it must have something to do with the ATI card's signal, and the 3007 model.

I am having this same issue with my 3007WFP-HC and XFX 5870.

I managed to swap out the monitor for another one as i am still within my 30day satisfaction period and the new monitor produces more of the green lines, but it overall a better built monitor ie(not so loose screen, frame is more sturdy). I also tried swapping the DVI-D cable to no avail. Before swapping the monitor i had a XFX 5850 that gave the same issue so this is what made me RMA for the 5870. I ended up switiching DVI ports on the XFX 5870 and the green lines appear much less frequently.

Although the green lines/pixels do not show up as much anymore on a different output, nevertheless they still exists and is quite annoying when you see it. I'm hesitant on swapping the monitor again.

Not sure what to do, this may only be isolated to the 3007WFP-HC.

Same issue with the green lines, the monitor was fine with my gtx 295 as soon as I went with the 5870 I started to see them randomly. I have triple 3007 with different cable lengths and a dp adapter and I see it on all three. I'm going with the video card, I had a 7800, gts 250 and gtx 295 and I never saw them until the 5870.

I am now a couple weeks with the new card, have not had any problems since I replaced the bad XFX with a diamond.

I'm using:
slot 1) XFX 2) Visiontek 3)Diamond 5870s.

The problem was definately a bad card in my case.

I've got the exact same problem, with the green vertical and horizontal lines and flickering green dots. Glad to know I'm not the only one. You don't really notice them on a light background, but on a dark background they stand out so much it's annoying. This problem occurs inconsistently as they come and go for moments at a time. I had these same issues when I was using the GTX295 but on the 5870 it's much much worse.

It could be either the monitor or dual-link DVI cable. I'm going to pick up another cable tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Really hoping the DVI cable is defective.

Back