Strange distribution of nVidia 3000's series

RamboZombie

Limp Gawd
in denmark - we have both 3070 and 3090's in stock

but no 3080.. at all - but more than 100 3090 in stock now - so this could be due to supply / demand.. - but i get the feeling that nVidia on purpose created a artificial shortage of 3080's to better be able to sell the 3090 with way more profit pr. unit.

and the 3070 only have 8gb - which imho just dosen't cut it - so to recap - i want a new card and nVidia have been dangling the 3090's and 3070's in front of my face for the last 14 days.. gotta stay strong.

now, of course i am just being paranoid, right?

No, you're not. 3080 was a paper launch. They found out too late what AMD had and rushed out the cards.
Don't buy 3080. It was DOA.
Wait for the refresh.
Paper launch and DOA is a bit harsh. It's an awesome card but basically unobtainable at $699 MSRP (at least the FE). It's clear now that the AIB cards with markups are the ones they truly want to sell (and, of course, the 3090).

No, you're not. 3080 was a paper launch. They found out too late what AMD had and rushed out the cards.
Don't buy 3080. It was DOA.
Wait for the refresh.
I'm not so sure. Even if they do counter 6800XT with a higher-spec'ed version e.g. 3080 Super, I really don't see it coming in at $700, or it will come later in 3-4 months at the soonest.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat certain nV is lining up a 3080 ti to match the 6900XT in both price and performance.

Well Nvidia has a financial incentive to sell as many $1500 3090 cards as possible before the 6900XT releases. Adjust pricing for your area.

Honestly, a holdback of 3080s to enable that doesn't sound far fetched to me.

They only make the cards they have chips for. Like in this Zotac video if they don't have the chips so they can't do anything.
They are making 1070s in the video when 1080 is the more desirable card.

Last edited:
Well Nvidia has a financial incentive to sell as many $1500 3090 cards as possible before the 6900XT releases. Adjust pricing for your area.

Honestly, a holdback of 3080s to enable that doesn't sound far fetched to me.
That makes no fucking sense. You people need to remove the tin foil hats. If this is true their entire sales and marketing team needs to be fired. Yea we have 500k card ready to sell but let's hold off and try to sell 3090. With AMD breathing down their neck next week that would be beyond dumb.

That makes no fucking sense. You people need to remove the tin foil hats. If this is true their entire sales and marketing team needs to be fired. Yea we have 500k card ready to sell but let's hold off and try to sell 3090. With AMD breathing down their neck next week that would be beyond dumb.
How is it dumb that they need to sell as many $1500 3090's before the $1000 6900XT comes out?

Sure I don't know how much of it is deliberate holding back, or just poor yields, or whatever the reason may be but do you see any 3080's around? I sure don't.

This is more about supply/demand more than anything. The 3090 in particular is a terrible buy especially now. Who is going to spend $1500 for 10% more performance when the same performing card is going to be sold in January for $400 less (December if you go AMD)? So the 3090's are starting to pile up. Seems pretty normal to me.

I don't think you need a tinfoil hat to reach the conclusion that businesses end goal is to make money. Pretending as if there are ethics that transcends their need to make money is just delusional, especially if the gist of what you're saying is..."a company is doing something shady to make more money?! How could this possibly be?!" :p

The retailers here are pretty open that the 3080’s are just selling through and backlog won’t be done till January whereas the 3090’s are largely fulfilled.

They’re still getting a lot more 3080’s. it’s just demand is lower, as called out, and as you’d expect.

I have been surprised how high the awareness of AMD has been though, a number of people I didn’t know were into the whole thing have mentioned it to me, I know a couple of people who got a 3000 series card and 6 that are waiting for the 6800. Anecdotal but interesting

3090's over here are around 1899€ which is around 2245 $ with 3080's selling for 800-900€ one could assume demand for 3080"s would be exponentially higher due to the insane price difference.

At this point Nvidia is selling cards faster then they can make them, they have no reason to limit availability for any of them.

I didn't pay attention to GPU availability, but I can add that even in Sweden, 3090 is in stock, while 3080 is out of stock.
Also, 3090 is jacked up to at least $2000. That's the cheapest in stock, which is MSI Ventus, the next cheapest is at $2150. Ridiculous.

I still think 3080 was a paper launch and DOA. Nvidia really wants to sell the 3090.
3080 was a paper launch in a way that Nvidia didn't make many to see what AMD has in store. And AMD had a 3080 killer in store. So I'm pretty sure we won't see many 3080 around.

Also, plenty of 3070 seems to be in stock, but as usual, the prices are jacked up to $750 and up.

I bought my 2080TI for $700. This might seem expensive to some of you, but the prices in Sweden are insane. It still sells for at least $700.
I could sell it and get my money back. But what for? Non-existent 3080? The insanely expensive 3090? Or the equally as good but lower vram 3070?
Nah. Better wait on either AMD 6900XT or see what Nvidia responds with.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think due to the price point, the 3080 makes more sense to buy if you're going to be upgrading. The 3070 is competing against the 2080ti. The 2080ti market is kind of weird where those with one is likely not going to side grade to the 3070. If they do sell, it'll be at a lost and the market will technically have options between used 2080ti or try to chase availability on the 3070. If they do upgrade, they will likely upgrade to the 3080 as dropping another $600 to a $1200 sunk cost from their 2080ti purchase is easier to swallow than dropping $1500 or a total of $2700 in a span of just 2 years (at most).

I think due to the price point, the 3080 makes more sense to buy if you're going to be upgrading. The 3070 is competing against the 2080ti. The 2080ti market is kind of weird where those with one is likely not going to side grade to the 3070. If they do sell, it'll be at a lost and the market will technically have options between used 2080ti or try to chase availability on the 3070. If they do upgrade, they will likely upgrade to the 3080 as dropping another $600 to a $1200 sunk cost from their 2080ti purchase is easier to swallow than dropping $1500 or a total of $2700 in a span of just 2 years (at most).
and there are things the 2080ti may handle better, since it has extra VRAM. I moved mine to my 4k60 HTPC system - figure it's more than good enough for that, vs buying a new 3070 for it (upgrading from a 970 that was only useful for playing videos - or UT2k4).

I didn't pay attention to GPU availability, but I can add that even in Sweden, 3090 is in stock, while 3080 is out of stock.
Also, 3090 is jacked up to at least $2000. That's the cheapest in stock, which is MSI Ventus, the next cheapest is at $2150. Ridiculous.

I still think 3080 was a paper launch and DOA. Nvidia really wants to sell the 3090.
That seem to be because of the giant difference in demand, specially at $2000 price point.

A danish I think retailer did show it's stats and the 3090 order was much more fulfilled but it still had 3 3080 delivered for each 3090 it sold.

A 3:1 ratio do sound like binning could naturally do, no ?

and there are things the 2080ti may handle better, since it has extra VRAM. I moved mine to my 4k60 HTPC system - figure it's more than good enough for that, vs buying a new 3070 for it (upgrading from a 970 that was only useful for playing videos - or UT2k4).
Ah, yes, very true. That's a beast of an HTPC!

Ah, yes, very true. That's a beast of an HTPC!
Threadripper 1950X, 64G, NVME x2 and 2x8TB spinners. 80% of the time it's running VMs and plex. The rest, it plays "console like" games on the big screen.

I imagine there is stock of 3090 because fewer retailers ordered them and because of pricing not as many are buying.

I imagine there is stock of 3090 because fewer retailers ordered them and because of pricing not as many are buying.
Don't forget with a potential of something coming from AMD that is supposed to be as good for $500 less...ANDDDDD with a counter of that counter with something better than the NVIDIA that is less than the current price tag of the 3090. I guess someone has to create a ceiling somewhere.

3080 is the most popular, I think it's really that simple. It probably has less margin than the 3090, and the 3070 isn't enough of an upgrade for most people for the money, especially with 8 GB VRAM.

Supply has been abysmal, sure, but it's not some grand conspiracy. The 3090 is easier to get because it's a worse value by far.

Back