Strange display issue since building new PC

-zax-

2[H]4U
Not really sure where I should start this thread, so starting it here...

I recently built a new PC a hair over 1 month ago.

SPECS:
Ryzen 3900X
ASUS Strix X570-E
64GB GSkill (on QVL)
ASUS 2070 Super
(2) LG 27GL83A-B monitors (display port)
Corsair HX1000 PSU (re-used)

My old PC, (i7-2600K, GTX 670), ran for 9.5 years flawlessly, so I'm fairly confident that my PSU is not the issue...

This issue is kind of hard to explain, so I'll attach a couple of pictures so you can see what I'm talking about...

My left side screen will randomly go blank and the only way to bring it back from everything I've tried is to reboot the PC. Again, this is random, but will usually last at least 12 hours before it happens after a reboot, sometimes lasting for several days before it happens. Most of the time it happens between 12 and 48 hours.

Oddly enough, the screen's backlight stays on (doesn't go to powersave mode). My mouse cursor will move on the screen as you can see in one of the pictures. If I press the "start" key on the keyboard, the start menu pops up as well as the taskbar. But if click off of the start menu, the menu goes away as well as the task bar.

I also run a VM through VMware workstation player on this PC. When the issue happens, the VM stays open, but goes unresponsive.

I can play games for hours on that screen and everything works great. I have not had it black out on me when playing something...

Things I've tried:
Rebooting (obvious)
Reinstalled most recent video card drivers
Tried older video card drivers
Disabled G-Sync on both monitors
Tried both ASUS and AMD chipset driver packages

NOTE: I did have the 2070 and 2 monitors installed on my old rig prior to the new CPU/mobo/ram combo. Granted, they were only on that PC for 10 days before the other hardware came in and was assembled, but I did not have that issue happen when it was on my old PC. So at this point, I'm leaning more toward the CPU/MOBO/RAM combo causing the issue than video card/monitor combo.

20200602_082231.jpg

20200602_082204.jpg

Another strange thing that happens is that full window java applications act crazy. Again, this is -after- the upgrade to the new hardware. The screenshots are heavily edited because I use that application for work through a VPN and it contains sensitive information. I guess to sum up the java window issue as best possible is that when moving the mouse cursor over the window, it will start cloning sections of the window all over itself within the same window.

What the application should look like:
cms-good.jpg

What it ends up doing on my PC. This doesn't happen right away typically, but usually after 5-10 minutes of use, it will start acting up.
cms-bad.png

Swap the DisplayPort cables between the monitors, keeping the GPU end the same and switching the monitor end between the two monitors. I'm going to call these monitor A and B, where monitor A is the one currently having the problem.

With that done, does the problem stay on the monitor A, or does it move to B?

If the problem moves to B, then swap the GPU end keeping the monitor end. At this point, the cables will have been fully swapped between the two monitors.

If the problem goes *back* to monitor A, then the problem is GPU side. If the problem *stays* on monitor B, then replace the DisplayPort cable.

If the problem *never* left monitor A, then it might be the monitor itself.

Anything else and I'd be confused.

I tried swapping at the GPU a while back, but I'll give it a try on the monitor side like you suggested.

The weird java app issue doesn't matter which screen it's on, it does the same thing...

Weird java issue could be unrelated, so in my mind one problem at a time :)

Alrighty, cables have been swapped.

Now I play the waiting game...

Thanks for the assistance thus far. Trying to keep the little bit of sanity I have left in check.

That is a software issue. One of your apps is crashing to a black screen and is on top.
go to task manager next time it happens and start closing apps till you find the one that is on top.

One thing I did that helped alleviate some PCI-e related issues is force PCI-e 3.0 in BIOS.

force PCI-e 3.0 in BIOS.
Er, that should have no effect. 2070 is Gen 3 only. I mean, if it helps, good deal.

And Zepher could be 100% correct that it is a software issue as well. Is probably right even. Just figured swapping cables around a time or two is an easy thing to do to try and rule stuff out :)

Er, that should have no effect. 2070 is Gen 3 only. I mean, if it helps, good deal.

And Zepher could be 100% correct that it is a software issue as well. Is probably right even. Just figured swapping cables around a time or two is an easy thing to do to try and rule stuff out :)

It should have no effect but that doesn't mean it doesn't. It is well documented that X570 has issues with PCI-e 3.0 (or 2.0) devices in 4.0 capable slots.

Excellent call Zepher! It was an application I use that was causing the blackout issue.

Happened to be a mouse cursor app I use for games like D3 called YoloMouse.

Back