strange display corruption with ti4200

egon_dude

Limp Gawd
hi guys,
ive just got a second hand gainward gf4 ti4200 for the second machine in my sig to replace the crappy radeon 7000 that was in there. Ive just installed it, after removing all the ati stuff and using driver cleaner. However, after playing bf veitnam for about 4 mins, and also after running 3dmark03 for about 2 mins, the display corrupted into white, blue and green squares, completely filling the screen- the original image was kinda still visible but the computer hard locked and had to be reset both times. I installed the 56.72 drivers cos thats what i had on my harddisk cos i dloaded them for a mate.
Is this a driver issue do you reckon or is it dead? its not overclocked at all.
cheers, matt.

I would try a different driver set, but in all honesty that sounds like a hardware issue.
Could be power related, although that usually shows up suddenly, like on startup or shortly after starting a 3d app.

Is the fan working on the 4200?

I have issues with the 56.72 drivers on Nvidia cards with Battlefield Vietnam, try the game with the drivers on the Battlefield disc and see if that cleans it up.

hmmm, i tried the drivers on the bf veitnam disks and updated the mobo bios to the latest one, but the problem was still there. When i put the agp setting down to 2x the card lasted a bit longer before it crashed.
I have done some digging on google and apparently there was a known issue with these cards with some capacitiors in the top right hand corner of the card being faulty and causing "chequerboard crashes" usually when the card is stressed in 3d apps.

have a look here for more info

Seeing as i got the card really cheap, i might have a go at replacing those caps with new ones and seeing what it does.

dont you need a reciept or the original box or something to rma it? i got it cheap cos it was 2nd (or maybe 3rd) hand- was only £10 so not too worried about it.

Yeah I would try to press your luck and ask for an RMA

Not neccessarily need the box and stuff, usually they will just take the card if it was made by them. As long as there is no physical damage to the card.

After reading the forums on the gainward website it seems that people that are rma ing these cards now are getting gf4 mx440 cards as replacements rather than a ti4200. :rolleyes:
So looks like im gonna be getting the soldering iron out :D

If I remember correctly...the Gainward Ti4200's had a problem with bad ram. People were disappointed because the Gainward GF3 was such a nice card for the price. I believe they sorted out the problem near the end of the production run but a lot of bad cards are probably still floating around..

Dude, this post may be a little late but ill ship it anyway. I got a Visiontek Ti4400 and it dont like drivers passed 30.82.So if your still having the grid issue, give the 3082 a try, if it still wacks out then it could be power related, or AGP/chipset driver.or as someone else stated it could indeed be the bad ram that got out.

finally got this thing working properly . . . after having no luck sourcing the right value capacitors from local electronics stores such as maplins, and finding out that getting the right ones mail order would cost me more in postage than i paid for the card, i went scavenging :D
So after finding one of the right value caps (470 uF 16v) on an old washing machine, i found the other 4 (1200uF, 6.3v) on an old gigabyte celeron motherboard that didnt work (well i think it didnt, i couldnt find any ram to test it with :p ).
Took me a few minutes to unsolder the old caps and solder the new ones in place, making sure they were the right way round. Got it back in the computer- really didnt think it would work, and first try, it didnt. Computer appeared to boot, but no graphics beep. Had a fiddle round with it, pushed it in a bit harder, and it worked :D
So after having a card that wouldnt play any 3d stuff for more than 3 mins, ive just scored 1256 3dmark03 points and played battlefield veitnam on it for the last hour.
Really cant belive that worked . . . . :D

egon_dude said:
finally got this thing working properly . . . after having no luck sourcing the right value capacitors from local electronics stores such as maplins, and finding out that getting the right ones mail order would cost me more in postage than i paid for the card, i went scavenging :D
So after finding one of the right value caps (470 uF 16v) on an old washing machine, i found the other 4 (1200uF, 6.3v) on an old gigabyte celeron motherboard that didnt work (well i think it didnt, i couldnt find any ram to test it with :p ).
Took me a few minutes to unsolder the old caps and solder the new ones in place, making sure they were the right way round. Got it back in the computer- really didnt think it would work, and first try, it didnt. Computer appeared to boot, but no graphics beep. Had a fiddle round with it, pushed it in a bit harder, and it worked :D
So after having a card that wouldnt play any 3d stuff for more than 3 mins, ive just scored 1256 3dmark03 points and played battlefield veitnam on it for the last hour.
Really cant belive that worked . . . . :D

I'm glad you got it working on your own. I had the same card, and problem, and had it RMA'd. Mine's been working fine ever since.

Back