Strange black screen system lockup. PSU problems?

Wooshoo

Weaksauce
I have a strange problem with a computer I built for my father in law. When he touches a few different things and static discharges on them (TV, PC, wall switch) the computer gets a black screen and locks up. Cant get display back until I hard reboot the system. Cant even force shut down with the power button even though it should in windows settings and this does work when the system hasn't been shocked (this is why I assume system lockup). I moved the system to a UPS from CyberPower that is supposed to protect against spikes in power. This has not helped. I mentioned this problem in a comment on another thread and others suggested checking the house circuitry for proper grounding. I am doing this now but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem like this before? I think it might be my TX650M corsair power supply as it was doing this a little bit at my house as well but to a lesser extent.

Other system specs

R5 3600
Bigshurikan 3 w/Noctua Industrial pull
Gigabyte dual vega 64
B450i fatality
Gskill ripsjaws 2x8 3600 C19
Hynix gold 1tb
Silverstone RVZ03 + t exterior mounted fan over the CPU (previously big shurikan 3 cooler fan)

Last edited:
Coming from an ASUS Strix Vega 64 that constantly had black screens, I never did test if static electricity could be the cause.

If the PC is misbehaving when someone touches a light switch or TV, there's going to be a house wiring fault, or a fault with the computer's power supply.

If the PC is misbehaving when someone touches a light switch or TV, there's going to be a house wiring fault, or a fault with the computer's power supply.
I have a different PSU on order (Silverstone 850w Titanium) and I am going to check the wiring or have the wiring checked when I get the chance.

possible it's the psu, if swapping it doesn't work then i'd look at the plug and then wiring if it's an old house that may or may not have been rewired for ground properly.

possible it's the psu, if swapping it doesn't work then i'd look at the plug and then wiring if it's an old house that may or may not have been rewired for ground properly.
Will do. Sadly the PSU wont be in until the end of the month and COVID problems might keep me from going over to install it anyway. Social distancing and all. Plus I am at risk in general because I am still having to report to work. I'll report back my results as soon as I have them

Back