Strange beeping sounds

Araanor

Limp Gawd
I'm getting some strange beeping sounds in my headphones. All beeps are the same pitch, the variation is directly correlated to CPU load. No load, no sounds. Varied load, many shorter beeps. Max out at least one core, a constant beep.

I've had this ever since I built this computer, as far as I can gather. It's an A64X2 3800+ on a KN8 SLI nforce4. The motherboard has integrated audio. I've turned off the integrated audio and installed an X-Fi card. Made no difference. Changed out my video card once too.

I mute *all* sounds in the sound control panel, still beeps.

Even stranger, the beeps are also generated by something in my case, even with the headphones plugged out I can hear the beeps if I put my head close to the case.

I'm stumped. What unearthly curse has befallen my computer?

I had this issue (or one similar to it - my beeps were not based on CPU load, they were just random) on my laptop when I first got it. Was fine for the first few days then it just beeped randomly. Sadly I can offer no help. I changed drivers, checked for malware, and all kinds of stuff. Then one day... it just stopped and hasn't done it since. I have no idea what caused it or what caused it to stop *shrug*

My dell optiplex at work beeps sometimes! There's gotta be a speaker in the case or something that is generating the beep. It's pretty random, but only occurs when both cores are under heavy load. (but both cores under heavy load does not guarantee a beep).

It's high pitch, lasts for just a half a second or so. Sometimes it goes a week without beeping, sometimes it beeps every 5 or 10 minutes...

So, what. Should I rip out my internal speaker? :D

Can't be the root problem though...

Worth a bump. I still don't understand this problem.

The only thing I can think of: sound is correlated to processor load, thus, it's something related to power. But I can't for the life of me understand why I get the same kind of beep from the case and from my earphones.

Ok guys I think I have a solution to this problem.

My Dell XPS M1710 laptop started beeping randomly recently. First it was just a random "boop" then is started doing random consecutive "Boop Boop Boop"... like 3-4 in a row (each lasting about half a second or so). It had beeped before a couple of months ago but only one.. not a series like now and it also went away on its own. The beeping sound was also coming from some unknown internal speaker as it being a laptop the speakers I use are internal.. but I was hearing the beeping sound from somewhere deeper inside (I had put my headphones in the jack to mute the speakers... but I would still hear a loud "boop" sound from inside the laptop).

So I tried these directions I found elsewhere. I went to the Device Manager (Start-> Control Panel-> System-> Hardware Tab-> Device Manager)... clicked on view and Show Hidden Devices... then went to Non-Plug and Play Drivers. I then clicked on the "Beep" driver name. In the window that opened up I went to the driver tap and clicked stop on the stop button (there was a start and stop button with the start button grayed out.. it was currently in the start mode). It gave me an error message saying something like "error.. device not responding in a timely matter" and I could see the word "stopping" in the device window. After about a minute or so it eventually stopped. Haven't heard a boop since then. So it seems (as of now) that this has fixed the issue for me. Hope this helps you all.

That's awfully interesting and thanks for replying, but stopping "Beep" didn't make any difference. I'll try later by disabling "Beep" entirely.

The beeps I hear are pretty muffled. I'd expect the PC speaker to sound louder.

Back