strange artifacts in video playback

metalspider

Weaksauce
just got a new evga gtx 760 and having strange noises blots in video playback,games work fine.had an ati 5870 before and all was well.
any ideas how to fix this so far my searches in google havent helped much

screenshot windows 7

those "green lines" on the wall for instance.

I don't know if its my phone or im crazy, but i do not see anything strange in that picture or any artifact.. If you mean with artifact the shadows decoloration over the wall, thats normal, nothing strange.. Its due to some ONLINE MPEG video coded to be lightweight streaming...

there's some dark green/blue lines to the left of the door and also a couple to the left of the tv,didnt have that kind of stuff with my ati.
ive been having some success reducing that stuff with shaders in media player classic.

I dont see those lines you speak of.

Using an ipad and fully zoomed in.

Edit

Looked at pic on my pc, dell u2410 and their is no lines at all, either that or I am blind as shit.

Circle where you see them.

Nothing there dude.

I downloaded the picture and zoomed in and I cant see anything.

I do however notice some small artifacts, but thats due to either compression or the resolution etc.

No green blue lines in the picture at all tho.

I had similar problem years ago, where il2 pacific fighters would give me weird shit on the water, but when taking a screenshot I couldn't see it. In that case it turned out to be gpu problem.

Is what you are seeing extremely obvious ? or is it something that you would have to hunt for ? if its really obvious in your eyes, then to me everything looks ok, if its just ever so slightly and something you need to hunt for then the only thing I can see is normal compression artifacts and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
well to me its obvious,gets worse than that too sometimes,changing gamma to be darker also helps.
on my secondary monitor the video seems darker and i dont see that stuff but my main is brighter and this stuff is bugging me.
got the nvidia because i wanted to have physx and its cool in games so far but this video stuff is really annoying,hopefully ill find how to fix it.

Well with the pic you have posted and on two different platforms, the images you posted look ok, nothing that you describe as being wrong is showing up.

Only thing I can think of is its the video drivers, maybe traces of your old one are still there ? Or its the video app that you are using, maybe the app doesnt like a setting on your video card, supersampling etc, try and disable certain options and see if that helps?

Because without seeing what you are seeing I am at a loss as to whats happening.

well to me it seems like filter issues or lack of.
been playing with sharpen,banding removal,film grain in vlc that helps too.
tried using the win 8 monitor adjustments for gamma contrast and brightness too but that didnt help much.

tried some program to remove all traces of the previous drivers,i'll try finding a better one,
"driver fusion" got reffered to it from an older site that used to have a free version with another name.

driver sweeper was what i was looking for the newer versions are now called driver fusion and arent fully functional for free.
ill try to find an old version but then there a question of compatibility with win 8 since some registry entries for various things have changed.

I see no lines here, even where you circled.
Def seems like something on your end.
if you are seeing them in your video and screenshots and nothing on here it sounds like a video card issue. or perhaps the cable, I know you said you were using it with your old card, but did you try a different one?
what cable type are you using?
I know once I was using DVI and when I swapped my card I had issues even though it was fine before...

I don't see any green stuff but is that a ghost hiding in the far left circle?

Anyway, if you see it in your screencaps then it's definitely not player-related, because it looks fine here. If you look at the screenshot on another device (tablet, phone, etc.) are you still seeing it? Maybe I'm color-blind. :)

Otherwise if you want to mess with your player settings, try DXVA2 decoding.

Video playback is awful on Windows.

well i see it less now too since ive messed around with so many settings but its still there some times and the picture quality is still a little different.
ive tried with just one monitor attached instead of 2 which didnt do anything,guess i should get more dvi cables.
ill also look at those screen caps when i get to work.

well ive been looking at the pics on many different monitors at work and im having trouble seeing what i saw at home,maybe its the contrast and brightness settings.i'll try a new cable too but i highly doubt that is the issue.

very strange indeed,as i said before i switched video cards all was great it was just time to finally upgrade.

Doesn't look like this by any chance, does it?
16bit.png

That's 16-bit colour. Can't think of much else which would cause "green lines" in both videos and pictures.

Doesn't look like this by any chance, does it?
16bit.png

That's 16-bit colour. Can't think of much else which would cause "green lines" in both videos and pictures.

well that is similar only what i was seeing was'nt as bad as that and was occasionally with blue/green spots,most of the the it was lines made of those,same kind of effect like the picture you posted,has to do with shadows and stuff.

i checked to be sure and i am set to 32 bit color,its a little harder to find in win8 but its the default anyway and i always set to that when i have to do it manually.

seems to me like some kind of mixture of problems to do with video playback filters and gamma/contrast/brightness.

i dont want to start an ati vs nvidia battle but i dont remember ever having to deal with this kind of thing with ati cards.im also getting better results now so hopefully ill settle in with the new card,its a great upgrade in games and finally i have physx which makes a real difference too.

well new dvi cable hasnt changed anything,also forgot to mention untill now how smoothing or something is off by default and some times i see very slight squares,part of the decoding of the picture or something.
makes me wonder what effects ati have turned on by default maybe ill pop the old card back in to check.

I don't see any green lines at all, or lines of any color that shouldn't be there. Using a retina ipad to view images, adjust display brightness and there's nothing I can do to make the picture not look completely normal.

didnt have time to continue with this yesterday.tryed a few guides for monitor calibration but seems to me the warm and srgb color settings are part of the problem.
I used to be on warm all the time but then when i try adjustin gamma contrast and brightness i just cant seem to get it right.
From what i can see with many other monitors where i work and the factory default on my screen the default color setting is ''cool'' ill try with that even though guides i have been reading say to set to warm or srgb.

As for dvi output i now have the monitor connected to the output tnat works untill i boot into windows,only then can i turn on secondary outputs,after i set it it happens automatically on each boot.

For some reason i dont get cloned post and boot logo on both monitors like i did with the previous card.

Last edited:
some more..............
just played with contrast and brightness while paused on some video and i could see those lines changing while doing that,very strange indeed.

also changing monitor color setting to cool didnt get rid of them.

monitor is a few years old proview 2200w with hardware ID pts0899,been looking for some .icm files for the color settings in windows with not much luck.

Try a different monitor. I've seen dying LCDs create Green crosshatching and artifacts on darkened pictures.

Yea, try another monitor and see if that resolves the issue, if you dont have a monitor try your tv.

booted ubuntu livecd same thing.im starting to doubt myself.
my 2nd monitor is really dark no matter how i set it so not so sure about what i see or dont see on it with this stuff.

ill put the ati back in some time soon to see how it looks to me now.

well going to put ati back in to see there video effect settings.
also took a short video of a strange red line of weird stuff on startup,maybe this card is defective?a friend of mine seems to think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4eGD9P59g

bad quility video but you can kinda see the red line at the top of the screen

i put the ati back in and installed catalyst,didnt uninstall nvidia driver was too lazy but i see very slightly what i was seeing before so its not the card i guess.

ati do have some video playback filters on by default:
color vibrance 40
flesh tone correction 50
brighter whites
edge enhancement 10
de-noise 64

deinterlacing automatic,vector adaptive
pulldown detection
enforce smooth video playback

6-bit lcd w/dithering? I can't see anything wrong with that screen cap using an 8-bit panel.

strange how i only saw this with the new card,but its acceptable now,only if i look hard at it do i see anything as for other changes in quality i dont know anymore,guess ive been obsessing too much.

i did enable a few things in the nvidia control panel after i wrote down those ati settings to compare things.nvidia also have less options in the video playback section than ati do and nothing was on by default.

im thinking of getting a new monitor,a friend of mine recommends dell with IPS.
also dvi sockets are a little too easy to mess up apparently,only just noticed that.thin plastic between the holes for pins can break easily.

it was a lot worse in the beginning but i got it down so its much less visible.

well going to put ati back in to see there video effect settings.
also took a short video of a strange red line of weird stuff on startup,maybe this card is defective?a friend of mine seems to think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4eGD9P59g

bad quility video but you can kinda see the red line at the top of the screen

That red line along top of screen is normal, seen it on hundreds of computers, it can also be green, white, or blue.

Well those are the colours i have seen it in and its normal.

Tbh, I think you may actually be looking for something to be wrong ? seen that happen to loads of people including myself when buying new hardware.

Basically looking too deep for problems on new hardware and it gets to a point where looking for problems takes up more of your attention rather than enjoying the product.

Not saying thats whats happening, but it could explain the situation ? As I and others cant see anything wrong with your pictures or video, so that may explain it, but not physically being present at your screen to see for myself I cant say whats happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i thought of that also since i switched companys,but it was much worse initially now its better.
also ive had no issues gaming or with anything else.
im settling in and it seems ok now,just thinking of a new monitor too.

im really liking the physx and offcourse better frame rate and higher visual settings i can now use in games.

good to know the red line is ok,that was weird,never saw that before.

You could have a damaged video card, but you would most likely notice that during gaming which as you say yourself, gaming is ok.

Since its new you can just get a refund or replacement, so if your not happy with it then get it replaced because the longer you keep it the more hassle it becomes to get a rma, since its brand new, you can get a refund without much trouble.

If only for peace of mind, because if you keep thinking something is wrong with it, that feeling might never leave you.

Get a replacement and see if that is the same, if it is then you will know that everything is ok.

well after all my checks and seeing how it looks with the old card back in i see this card is ok.
turned on some video filters in nvidia control panel after i saw what was going on in catalyst.

now videos look ok so im good.really thinking about getting a new monitor though.
ill do more reading about my current one to get a better understanding of its limitations.

so a rough start but ill keep the card,

well this is also for anyone who finds this thread in the future.....................

i now see there is also an issue with my monitor too,when on a completely white screen the bottom seems to get slightly blue,if i change my viewing angle it gets better but i see it from a normal viewing angle.
i guess its a problem with a back light or something,this monitor is a few years old and has one dead pixel already.

i fixed the power button a long time ago.

its probably the matroska source filter your using. is the video h.264 MKV, and what media player are you using? if your using media player classic home cinema, try disabling the matroska source filter under options if its check, or check it if its not, there are different .264 encorers and settings, that sometimes don't quite work properly with different .264 decoders.

wait are there other issues also now besides pirated cable shows?

Back