Stranded Deep

MrAgmoore

[H]ard|Gawd
"Take the role of a plane crash survivor stranded somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Come face to face with some of the most life threatening scenarios that will result in a different experience each time you play. Scavenge. Discover. Survive."

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313120/

My buddy seems to really like this game and he is amazed by the graphics. Personally I've watched so many survival games on Twitch that I wouldn't purchase another regardless how good it is. I was burnt out over a year ago on the genre. But like I said he is gushing over the game so if you're into these types of games then this one should be pretty darn good.!

Where the hell did the spear gun come from. Planes don't carry those that often :)

Looks like it would be fun for a while, but without some sort of random generation in the landscape it seems like it would get boring pretty quick.

Where the hell did the spear gun come from. Planes don't carry those that often :)

Looks like it would be fun for a while, but without some sort of random generation in the landscape it seems like it would get boring pretty quick.

The problem with these games is that there is no objective or goal to achieve. Survival can only be so fun for so long

The problem with these games is that there is no objective or goal to achieve. Survival can only be so fun for so long

Yep. Combined with it being Early Access, I won't be getting it. There is only so much fun to be had with nothing but "how long can I survive."

Still, the concept of surviving a shipwreck/plane crash in the ocean is really cool, and they seemed to have captured the ambiance of tropical islands really well.

The game itself is a cool idea but they desperately need to fix the distance island viewing, or add mapping if you find a compass. Distance island rendering is extremely wonky. Sometimes I'll be looking and saying 2nd island from the east is mine, then as I'm rowing out, 2 more will appear in between looking closer than the original two. It's very weird.

I'd like to see more island dangers, weather hazards, etc. Maybe make some bigger ones with dangerous animals, or zombies. And by zombies I mean 100 year old Japanese pilots who crashed out there and aren't above cannibalism and excessive moaning because of their epic levels of survival suffering.

Maybe add some multiplayer. Can you say DayZ:Lost Islands?

The only reason why I like the look of this game, is based on the lack of zombies. Zombies are so 1 dimensional and boring. I don't know why people like them.

The only reason why I like the look of this game, is based on the lack of zombies. Zombies are so 1 dimensional and boring. I don't know why people like them.

lol That's why I said elderly war vets who've been stranded out there forever would be the "monsters". I think zombies are overdone, but I don't know how else you get large predators into the middle of the pacific. The sharks aren't proving much of a danger, especially if you find flippers.

I just don't think there's enough to do to keep the game engaging for an extended period of time the way it is now.

I picked this up right when it came out, and for $15 I'm not disappointed, I've got about 7 hours logged into the game so far.

There is very little game right now, but there is a lot of potential if they stick with it. Your only need is to find food, which really isn't difficult. You'll also need to find a bucket to create fresh water, which may require some hunting, but shouldn't be too difficult to come across (I've found 4). Eventually you'll need to leave your island to either find more food, or find wood for fires, but that's really it. There are shipwrecks and things you can scavenge for better equipment, or to make a motor for your raft, but none of that is necessary to survive. Past that, there's nothing else to do. You can't win, you can't be rescued.

If the team continues to expand the game though, I could see a ton of fun to be had. I'd love to see extreme weather that actually poses potential danger and can cause damage to you or things you've built, or cause you to loose supplies. It would also be cool to see something like a scenario creator where you can set abundance of food, vegetation, predators, etc. and create a set of win conditions (survive so many days, find a certain island, craft a particular rescue device, etc) that can be shared with friends. Multiplayer would be excellent too, as is a planned feature.

On the bright side, the game as it exists is very functional and support from the developers has been quick. The very first build had some issues, and within a few days almost all of them had been fixed. The game is largely bug free. The only issue I can recall is that the player does not cast a shadow, only the item in their hands does. It's weird, but certainly doesn't affect gameplay. I've not had a single crash, glitch, or anything that negatively affected the game. That's good. That means the team can focus on bringing in new content instead of fixing an nonfunctional game.

This was a free game for PS+ this month, and I just started it yesterday. It's fun so far, a bit clunky at first, but I'm enjoying it so far, aside from the damn sharks flipping my raft whenever I try to island hop.

aALooks awesome scojer . Is there an objective you're working toward? While away on long dark vacation from [H], I've spent many days surviving in The Long Dark and shortly after establishing yourself as a successful survivor, all you so is move around and set up more bases to be able to visit later, but after your done exploring all maps, it becomes just terminal survivalitis.

Eventually you can find a plane and escape, but until then, the only objective is to survive.

lol 6 years go by and this game is still early access :)

It feels pretty complete, at least on the PS4, not sure what it's like on the PC.

The game features a dynamic weather and day-night cycle. Also featured is a building system, whereby players are able to settle on an island and construct a shelter or a raft with which to explore the ocean, and a crafting system, whereby resources can be harvested and combined in order to create equipment. Resources are limited, and therefore need to be managed. As supplies that players are able to carry are limited, items need to be prioritized for the task at hand.

Players need to manage their vitals of health, hunger, thirst, and sleep, against the elements they face. Thirst is in particular an important component of survival. Hydration sources are scarce, with coconut milk being the most common and easiest to obtain water substitute. The player can eventually craft a water collector, which will produce water over time from the evaporation of palm leaves. Hunger is another challenge, although not as serious. Food can be obtained from many sources, including coconuts, fishing, and rations. Players are also able to search sunken shipwrecks and islands for interesting and rare equipment.

The tropical ocean in the game is full of different life forms. This ranges from small fish, sea turtles, rays, lionfish, sea snakes, crown-of-thorns starfish, swordfish, whales, as well as the most dangerous enemies in the game - sharks. There are different types of sharks, some being harmless, while others are life threatening, like the great whites. Sharks can directly attack the player, or they can also bump into the player's raft, potentially flipping it over. There are also three mythical sea creatures found in specific places in the world - a megalodon shark, a giant squid named Lusca, and a giant eel named Abaia. Each one, when killed, gives the player a trophy as a reward for killing it. They are considered the most challenging enemies in the game.

As the player's plane crashes into the ocean, they are saved via an inflatable lifeboat found nearby. The lifeboat is equipped with a pouch containing a compass, as well as rations that the player can use. The lifeboat can also be used as a raft to travel between different islands. A key feature of rafts is anchoring them. This is because rafts can be carried into the open ocean by currents or storms if not anchored, or dragged onto land. The player can collect components and materials later to craft their own raft. These rafts can differ in base, floor, and the propeller. Apart from rafts, the only other form of transportation is a gyrocopter, which can be created when the necessary components are found first.

The game also features an official ending. The player can find an abandoned aircraft carrier, stranded on a small island. On the ship, there is a plane, which when repaired can serve as an escape from the Pacific, which when flown reveals how you came to be stranded at the start of the game.

In the game, the player can also find easter eggs associated with the 2000 movie Cast Away. On one of the islands, there is a volleyball with a bloody handprint on it, called Wollie, similar to Wilson from the movie. There is also a mail box washed on an island, loosely resembling the FedEx box from Cast Away.

Since the world of the game is procedurally generated, the initial island that the player lands on, as well as all the other islands, are randomly generated for each save file played. The game also features a "cartographer" mode, where the player can manipulate their world, as well as add and customize existing and new islands
Taco found the wikipedia page, lol.

Back