Straight Talk Comes Clean - 2.5 GB 4G Data, unlimited 2G

Actually better than it used to be. People would get cut off anywhere between 1gb and 3gb, luck of the draw.

And the T-Mobile $30/month 5GB up to 4G (and then 2G/EDGE as much as you want) is still the best overall plan out there for prepaid service, go figure. I don't even care about the 100 minutes of talk time anymore (extra minutes are $.10 each) since I just use Google Voice + Talkatone for all the calls I make and receive. I've even put my Galaxy S4 Active into 2G/EDGE mode on purpose and used it and the VoIP stuff still works great without issues so that's just another bonus for me I suppose.

And yes that's with LTE capability as well. I know some people live in areas that aren't fully covered yet by T-Mobile's network upgrades but, it's still a damned fine plan to get if you're in an area that has good/great coverage - their AWS service upgrades are kicking in as well and just adding more potential coverage too.

Yes indeed. Now only if my Nexus 4 supported LTE... all well.

I thought there was some kind of patch or mod that could be done to the Nexus 4 that "unlocked" the LTE capability... ?

... I thought there was some kind of patch or mod that could be done to the Nexus 4 that "unlocked" the LTE capability... ?

To my knowledge, that's only for certain LTE bands, not all. My area doesn't support the bands available, as far as I know. Most of the folks who have gotten LTE to work on the N4 live in Canada, where places like Rogers uses the correct bands and radio's.

And the T-Mobile $30/month 5GB up to 4G (and then 2G/EDGE as much as you want) is still the best overall plan out there for prepaid service

For you. You forgot to add that part. For some people (I'd even bet most) 100 minutes wouldn't work at ALL, and for a good portion of the country T-Mobile wouldn't work either.

For you. You forgot to add that part. For some people (I'd even bet most) 100 minutes wouldn't work at ALL, and for a good portion of the country T-Mobile wouldn't work either.
You can always use Skype. I know someone who is getting his essentially "free" Surface 2 with this plan. "Free" as in he believes that unlimited Skype calling to 60 countries will more than pay for the Surface. I don't really know about that.

Let's see here.

Let's assume that you pay $30 a month for minutes that you need to call including international calls. After a year, that's... okay. I guess it makes sense... (note: $360)

So they don't kick people off anymore when they go over?

They never did.

They would just stop 4g and turn you onto 3g/2g speeds. You still had data, just slow(er) data rates.

Nothing has really changed except a graphic on their website.

They will still throttle you for using up a large amount (over a few hundred MB) in a single day.

They used to use gestapo tactics like suspending your service totally and/or threatening to terminate your service permanently, especially if you had an AT&T SIM... although that practice seems to have fallen by the wayside now.

It is still one of the best values for GSM unlimited talk around, although even that is changing slowly but surely with services like AIO Wireless and Solavei popping up.

They will still throttle you for using up a large amount (over a few hundred MB) in a single day.

They used to use gestapo tactics like suspending your service totally and/or threatening to terminate your service permanently, especially if you had an AT&T SIM... although that practice seems to have fallen by the wayside now.

You're wrong, and I will tell you why right now;

1) Why would they claim to say you get 2gb of highspeed THEN get throttled, and then totally disregard that statement on their site for just a few 100 mb??? This is the first time they actually said they were throttling and admitting to it, so now once you go over the 2gb you get throttled.

2) Show me where they uses :Gestapo tactics:? I hate you, and the media for using such a bold characterization as saying someones acting like Nazi's.....or in this case Gestapo.....Seriously.....get a grip on your words and what you're trying to say.

Ge·sta·po (g-stäp, -shtä-)
n.
1. The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
2. gestapo pl. ge·sta·pos A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace.
How in the F*** does a secret police during the Nazi regime that killed, tortured, and raped COME anywhere near Walmart as a company? Enlighten me......

3) Show me proof that someone took a screen shot of any email or communication in which they had only used a few 100mb of data and were then throttled........

It's called rumors......these people went through the 2gb limit and got throttled.....cried to mommy (aka; the internetz) and everyone called foul because people lied to get attention.

You're wrong, and I will tell you why right now;

1) Why would they claim to say you get 2gb of highspeed THEN get throttled, and then totally disregard that statement on their site for just a few 100 mb??? This is the first time they actually said they were throttling and admitting to it, so now once you go over the 2gb you get throttled.

Did I stutter or something?

Why would they advertise a 2.5GB monthly 3G/4G limit (BTW, that's 2.5GB... not 2GB, Sherlock) and then proactively throttle? Because it's Straight Talk - the bastard right hand of América Móvil and they routinely pull shit like this. Hell, as a matter of fact our Straight Talk account (AT&T SIM) just got throttled to 2G speeds last night. Why? Because my roomate downloaded a large game from the Play Store and then watched a few videos on Youtube.... used just over 300MB and the account got throttled. But don't take my word for it.... check out HowardForums or any of the other online forums that cater to cellphone users. Sheeeeeeeesh!

2) Show me where they uses :Gestapo tactics:? I hate you, and the media for using such a bold characterization as saying someones acting like Nazi's.....or in this case Gestapo.....Seriously.....get a grip on your words and what you're trying to say.

How in the F*** does a secret police during the Nazi regime that killed, tortured, and raped COME anywhere near Walmart as a company? Enlighten me......

Are you menstruating right now?

3) Show me proof that someone took a screen shot of any email or communication in which they had only used a few 100mb of data and were then throttled........

It's called rumors......these people went through the 2gb limit and got throttled.....cried to mommy (aka; the internetz) and everyone called foul because people lied to get attention.

Whatever you say, Peaches.... :)

Did I stutter or something?

Why would they advertise a 2.5GB monthly 3G/4G limit (BTW, that's 2.5GB... not 2GB, Sherlock) and then proactively throttle? Because it's Straight Talk - the bastard right hand of América Móvil and they routinely pull shit like this. Hell, as a matter of fact our Straight Talk account (AT&T SIM) just got throttled to 2G speeds last night. Why? Because my roomate downloaded a large game from the Play Store and then watched a few videos on Youtube.... used just over 300MB and the account got throttled. But don't take my word for it.... check out HowardForums or any of the other online forums that cater to cellphone users. Sheeeeeeeesh

Are you menstruating right now?
Whatever you say, Peaches.... :)

Forgot their are children still on this forum........

Here I will cap's lock it for you, maybe e-yelling at you might work.

THEY NEVER ADVERTISED THE BAND-WITH CAP AND THROTTLING UP UNTIL NOW YOU MORON.

JUST BECAUSE YOU TELL ME YOUR FRIENDS ROOMMATES HALF BROTHERS COUSIN DID SOMETHING DOES NOT MAKE IT SO.

SHOW ME PHYSICAL PROOF OR DON'T TALK ABOUT IT TO ME. YOUR RUMORS MEAN DIC TO ME.

Cool, so I think maybe this time I got through to you.

Show me where your friend used 300mb, and was then throttled to 2g.......no, I won't go search on another forum because YOU HAVE THE BURDEN OF PROOF, NOT ME.

GDI I really get tired of you kids.

All I read was "Get off my lawn!"

Just kidding!

P.S. I'm not hitting the report button for insults, but I do suggest you guys do some editing...

Dang, seriously JPF. I'm not sure why you're defending ST, but I've read across many forums looking on reviews for ST their methods for throttling people. It seems to be hit or miss, but it has been stated many times, credibly mind you, that they have throttled before 2GB is hit. Previously they stated if you weren't using their internet store, or whatever it is, that gave them reason to throttle you.

And I can vouch for Blue Falcon, because I was there asking him questions on his AT&T ST sim when he got it since he live in the same area as I do. I recall in short order him telling me he got throttled before his 2GB months ago. Just b/c ST says that on their website, don't be so eager to think they're telling the truth. Companies love to fluff the truth.

Dang, seriously JPF. I'm not sure why you're defending ST, but I've read across many forums looking on reviews for ST their methods for throttling people. It seems to be hit or miss, but it has been stated many times, credibly mind you, that they have throttled before 2GB is hit. Previously they stated if you weren't using their internet store, or whatever it is, that gave them reason to throttle you.

And I can vouch for Blue Falcon, because I was there asking him questions on his AT&T ST sim when he got it since he live in the same area as I do. I recall in short order him telling me he got throttled before his 2GB months ago. Just b/c ST says that on their website, don't be so eager to think they're telling the truth. Companies love to fluff the truth.

NO NO NO I HAVE TO SHOW HIM PROOF! "PHYSICAL PROOF" (.......on the internet no less)

OK, ok... gonna get myself in trouble. I'm done lol. :D

i stream almost a gig a day in movies when working night shift, never been throttled. I have been with them since 2006 (tmobile that is) also t-mobile's best plan is unlimited talk text and web for $100 a month....

i stream almost a gig a day in movies when working night shift, never been throttled. I have been with them since 2006 (tmobile that is) also t-mobile's best plan is unlimited talk text and web for $100 a month....

How is $100 a month a good deal? They offered me unlimited unthrottled everything for $70 a month.

This JPF guy needs to relax, its a discussion not a pissing match, then he calls people kids after typing a response in caps??? ERM OK

Yeu, you do realize this thread is about Straight Talk and not T-Mobile, right? ST offers two sims, T-Mo and AT&T. I'm pretty sure from everything I recall reading, the only people getting throttled were the people with the AT&T sim, most likely b/c of AT&T themselves putting the screws to ST. T-Mo has always been judicious with their (crappy) network because they're trying to get customers. Bman is right too; if you're paying $100 for unlimited everything w/T-Mo you're getting snookered. You can see here unlimited all is only $70.

Yeu, you do realize this thread is about Straight Talk and not T-Mobile, right? ST offers two sims, T-Mo and AT&T. I'm pretty sure from everything I recall reading, the only people getting throttled were the people with the AT&T sim, most likely b/c of AT&T themselves putting the screws to ST. T-Mo has always been judicious with their (crappy) network because they're trying to get customers. Bman is right too; if you're paying $100 for unlimited everything w/T-Mo you're getting snookered. You can see here unlimited all is only $70.

First, you misunderstand where my intentions lay......

I don't defend any company at all, I am a fanboi of nothing.

What I despise is when people perpetuate rumors they here on this there internetz and they spit it as truth just because a few people say it to be so..........

A user here has a few quotes in his sig about "Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth" and such........yeah....that's why I despise people who talk about what they have no clue about.

No one, and I mean no one has shown physical proof.....IE showing a before speed test of whatever Straight Talk gives them on a new bill cycle, and then shows after where they are being throttled in the same location (because some locations don't have as good of speeds)
because they used more than a gig, or 2gb of data. No one can.....

All people are saying is that omgerz dah tuk mah geegz!!! When in fact its because they went over the 2.5gb limit.....and defaulted down by 1g of speeds......or the fact they are on a weaker signal and never realized it. Or they just want to complain like little children.

This is why I get so frustrated because a forum like HardForum which should represent a lot of IT, technology guru's, and rather intelligent people......suffers from rumor mills, fanboi-ism, and all around simple mindedness......

Do companies lie? Sure, why not, do you lie? Yes....we all do.....we all make the same mistakes companies do.....we are no different than they are. But when did Straight Talk ever say or can be quoted on paper "We offer unlimited data at XYZ speeds all the time for your whole month of service"???? Can someone show me that?

So, don't come to me about why I am defending someone......I defending a purpose, its called facts, truth, and supporting them both.

I am calling out the bullsH and taking names.

Call me stupid, angry, whatever you like. It still does not change the fact that anyone who talks trash about a company is most likely just perpetuating rumors dey hurd from dem internetz......

Or their cousins half sisters second uncle on her moms step dad's side of the family.......

Back