Story Based Coop RPGs?

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Just curious if there's been anything like that lately.

NWN2 isn't bad, but I don't think (neither does my girlfriend) that it's an entirely intuitive interface... feels very clunky overall. We tried it for a few days and we just never really got into it.

Sacred series - meh. Titan Quest - meh. Both were heavy on the hack'n'slash. Fable II's coop seemed very sub-par - it was hard for the second player to get into the story when it was just like being a bystander. Not to mention the annoying problems with a shared view... :)

Probably doesn't exist, but something along the lines of ME/ME2/DAO coop. Third person, good interface, and more story based.

Closest thing I can see on the horizon I think is KotOR - not strictly the same, but more story based than other MMOs.

Edit: Oh, PC or local 360.

I know this isn't strictly an RPG, but I'd recommend Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising. They're really more of an RPG than a strategy game in the single-player campaign, and there are some very strong similarities structurally between DoW2 and ME2 (emphasis on cover, choosing mix of units based on expected opposition, heavy skill-based character development), and there's a pretty extensive storyline. Playing the campaign in coop is really fun; my buddy and I had a blast.

Not third person, but I find Boarderlands to be a lot of fun and very similar in the shooter/rpg field to Mass Effect. It's definitely an RPG with leveling and random generated loot, but it mixes in shooter elements as well.

The game is pretty fun over all and Co-op just makes it better.

I can see where it's not for everyone, though. It's stylistically very different from a lot of games, and the mix of RPG and FPS has been hit or miss for a lot of people. But I absolutely love it. It combines the twitchy shooter with the loot-whore that I can be in online games.

I also loved Borderlands. And if you haven't tried it, Left 4 Dead 2 (more so than 1) is a great story-based coop game. It's a shooter, not an RPG, but it's got a pretty strong story element in it.

I know this isn't strictly an RPG, but I'd recommend Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising. They're really more of an RPG than a strategy game in the single-player campaign, and there are some very strong similarities structurally between DoW2 and ME2 (emphasis on cover, choosing mix of units based on expected opposition, heavy skill-based character development), and there's a pretty extensive storyline. Playing the campaign in coop is really fun; my buddy and I had a blast.
We actually enjoyed DoW2 reasonably - haven't tried Chaos Rising yet though. Thanks.

Not third person, but I find Boarderlands to be a lot of fun and very similar in the shooter/rpg field to Mass Effect. It's definitely an RPG with leveling and random generated loot, but it mixes in shooter elements as well.

The game is pretty fun over all and Co-op just makes it better.

I can see where it's not for everyone, though. It's stylistically very different from a lot of games, and the mix of RPG and FPS has been hit or miss for a lot of people. But I absolutely love it. It combines the twitchy shooter with the loot-whore that I can be in online games.
We enjoyed it for a few weeks, but never finished it or got any DLC - maybe we'll pick that back up and try again, thanks. :)

I also loved Borderlands. And if you haven't tried it, Left 4 Dead 2 (more so than 1) is a great story-based coop game. It's a shooter, not an RPG, but it's got a pretty strong story element in it.
Played the hell out of both of them - good games.

Really? L4D 1 or 2 have a story? I vehemently disagree. Most childrens books have a more developed story than what I've seen from either of the Left 4 Dead games. Great coop game? Check. Strong story eleme-... what? But okay, whatever... :rolleyes:

As for the OP, if you're looking for FPS/RPGs, System Shock 2 is a good one. It's tricky to get it working, but well worth it in my mind. Good luck finding it though. :(

I'd echo the NWN series, but if you couldn't get into it I suppose that's that. Considering that some decent MMOs are going to a F2P model (or are already there; LOTRO, EQ2, etc.) it might be worth checking out the F2P content, since it will undoubtedly be cooperative and have a good amount of lore behind it. Whether that translates to story for you is a different matter.

Unfortunately though, I don't think you'll find much in the way of a pure coop RPG along the lines of ME/ME2/DAO/KotoR. Best of luck though, let us know what you go with.

Really? L4D 1 or 2 have a story? I vehemently disagree. Most childrens books have a more developed story than what I've seen from either of the Left 4 Dead games. Great coop game? Check. Strong story eleme-... what? But okay, whatever... :rolleyes:
Yeah.. not much of a story, but it was fun. :)

As for the OP, if you're looking for FPS/RPGs, System Shock 2 is a good one. It's tricky to get it working, but well worth it in my mind. Good luck finding it though. :(
Major System Shock fan here - too dated for her though.

I'd echo the NWN series, but if you couldn't get into it I suppose that's that. Considering that some decent MMOs are going to a F2P model (or are already there; LOTRO, EQ2, etc.) it might be worth checking out the F2P content, since it will undoubtedly be cooperative and have a good amount of lore behind it. Whether that translates to story for you is a different matter.
We played LOTRO online (paid) for some time - along with a few other MMOs. None of them were really story heavy - nothing like a single player RPG, that is. Lots of text, but that's not really immersion unless I'm reading a novel.

Unfortunately though, I don't think you'll find much in the way of a pure coop RPG along the lines of ME/ME2/DAO/KotoR. Best of luck though, let us know what you go with.
Yeah... I would really love a coop ME/ME2/DA:O styled game. Shared pauses for abilities would be fine if it's just two or three people who are going through the story together.

Going to give Borderlands another shot. Not a whole lot of story, and not a full-fledged RPG, but it was pretty fun.

Thanks!

Neverwinter Nights 1
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Baldurs Gate series.

ID/BG - yes, but I'll have to work on getting her over the graphics. :D Her first real game was WoW, so anything that looks more primitive than that takes some work to get her interested in... she always asks what the hell I'm looking at when I play Dwarf Fortress or ADOM.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is pretty fun co-op as well. It's a little strange (the story is obviously not meant for multiple players, but functionally it's fine).

Neverwinter Nights 2 is pretty fun co-op as well. It's a little strange (the story is obviously not meant for multiple players, but functionally it's fine).

Yeah, we tried that - the entire thing just felt super clunky. Basically, the interface felt like it served to disconnect us from the characters and the story rather than integrate us into it - if that makes any sense.

Major System Shock fan here - too dated for her though.

Really? I presume you mean the graphics, and that can be solved pretty readily. This is how it looks when I play it.

Click for big versions

Now some people don't like the new models and stuff, but hey, it's helping keep the game alive for others.

Really? I presume you mean the graphics, and that can be solved pretty readily. This is how it looks when I play it.

Click for big versions

Now some people don't like the new models and stuff, but hey, it's helping keep the game alive for others.

I've been wanting to play this game forever, but cant find it for sale on any digital distribution sites/apps. Any suggestions? Also, if/when I find it, where can I get that mod?

I've been wanting to play this game forever, but cant find it for sale on any digital distribution sites/apps. Any suggestions? Also, if/when I find it, where can I get that mod?

It's a combination of mods and some other fixes/hacks. Most importantly, the game still runs fine with them. I don't think we had a single problem through the last playthrough (after the nightmare it was to get them connected in the first place!)

As for where you get it? Well, used off of ebay or whatever other resale sites, I don't know of any place you can get it new, trust me I looked before getting it used. So all I can say is good luck, because you'll need it. Though I could probably list the mods and all the other fun things I used if you're set on it.

I registered out of interest in the System Shock modding and co-op play, if you could list the mods you recommend and any tips on connecting to each other (it sounds like it can be dicey) that would be much appreciated.
Oh, I should mention I have the original retail release disk, it's been gathering dust in a CD binder for yyyyears... dunno if that means I need additional patching or not.

Neverwinter Nights really is very good once you start playing for a while or use user made modules. Maybe wait until the next Neverwinter game (1-2 years). It'll be like Dragon Age but with the co-op of Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate (hopefully).

You've probably either ruled it out or already play - there isn't a lot of middle ground - but my girlfriend and I play WoW together. It's a blast - there's so much to do, and with Cataclysm comes out it's only going to get deeper (granted they're modifying some aspects, but it's more streamlining than dumbing down). Now's a great time to try it out if you never have.

On a more obscure note, I've enjoyed Dungeon Siege 2 with friends. The only thing is the levelup system and storyline is more basic that you'd probably like. Armor has lots of stats, but you only put skill points into three attributes and the story is basically "chase bad guy around continent and kill him".

If only Torchlight was multiplayer - that game was beautifully fun. Would have been great for two.

I am just shocked that Guild Wars hasn't been mentioned! I bought Guild Wars Plantinum + Factions + Nightfall for under $50 from playyet.com. And a second copy all that for my wife.

Last edited:
I am just shocked that Guild Wars hasn't been mentioned! I bought Guild Wars Plantinum + Factions + Nightfall for under $50 from playyet.com. And a second copy all that for my wife.

I second this, decent graphics, good UI, and the story isn't bad. Plus there's no subscription fee.

Really? L4D 1 or 2 have a story? I vehemently disagree. Most childrens books have a more developed story than what I've seen from either of the Left 4 Dead games. Great coop game? Check. Strong story eleme-... what? But okay, whatever... :rolleyes:(

lol ya I was gonna say, i don't even think there is a way to follow your campaign in order once playing online is there?

and while were talking about guild wars... that was such a good game, i crave to install it, but i'm wondering when GW2 is scheduled for release?

Guild Wars is a good pick.

Go grab a SNES emulator or a real SNES and play some Secret of Mana. Now there's a fun co-op RPG. :D Classic!

sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but...

man oh man, i wish my g/f would game with me. you lucky sob!

so Fable 2 is better?

By far. Here was what my wife and I thought after only 7 hours. Some of the changes were for the better...but mostly not.

An excerpt:

"That’s part of the problem, though: Fable III puts far too much emphasis on non-combat or non-story related things. I should be playing a sweeping epic, filled with nigh-unwinnable battles and a gut-wrenching story, all while having no idea what will come up next. In Fable III, you will spend a huge bulk of your time earning money through crappy mini-games, interacting with villagers (one at a time, by the way…a horrible design choice), and watching your dog do nothing more than telling you when and where to dig."

Here's the best line in the whole thing, and should sum up the combat for you:

"When fights are still too easy even when the system in use is clunky, you know something is wrong."

Back