Stores Canceling PS3 Orders In UK

HardOCP News

[H] News
Brand Republic says that the PS3 launch has been marred by the cancellation of 20,000 pre-orders from retailers and consumers. The bright side is that the launch went relatively well and, like the U.S. and Japan, most stores have the PS3 in stock.

Retail industry sources claim the electronics giant has had as many as 20,000 pre-orders of the £425 console cancelled in the run-up to its delayed launch last Friday. There have been none of the stock shortages typical of earlier console launches and the majority of the cancelled pre-orders are believed to have come from speculators hoping to sell the units on eBay for a profit.

Lol...The news of it being the fastest console(other then psp handheld) has been reported since yesterday. But barely anybody has put it up until today...I guess after all the people e-mailing them to stop being biased.

But still sites are trying to say it was a failure...lol

Lol...The news of it being the fastest console(other then psp handheld) has been reported since yesterday. But barely anybody has put it up until today...I guess after all the people e-mailing them to stop being biased.

If you think about it that way maybe, but...

Both Nintendo and Microsoft sold out their entire stock, while Sony has had stores full of PS3's virtually since launch. The other consoles stayed sold out months after launch.

Since sales were limited due to inventory available, did Sony really do better?

History shows that with console launches supply was always bigger than demand. So the question here is: What does it mean when supply is bigger than demand?

-Lack of interest, or what?

Crap can't edit posts in this forum. The above should read:

-Since sales of Nintendo and Microsoft consoles were limited due to lack of inventory available, did Sony really do better not selling out when more inventory was present?

...If I was a company...I rather sell more and make more money then sell less and be sold out. :rolleyes:

...If I was a company...I rather sell more and make more money then sell less and be sold out. :rolleyes:

It's all relative. Nintedo sells 10 million and is sold out. Sony sells 5 million and has an abundance. I'd still rather be Nintendo.

Er, the above numbers are made up on the spot. You know, 60% of the time it works 100% of the time. :D

lol yeah I think you read it wrong....nice triple post btw ;) They need to add the edit to this forum...

Making enough product so every consumer that wants one is good.

Now release more games and you can increase your sales moving forward.

It is the long haul that counts, give Sony and Nintendo a chance to be out a year and see what there numbers are then. Honestly, if someone wants a PS3, they are on the shelves right now so sales should not be impacted by supply (like the Wii). Trying to proclaim losers and winners this early on is insane.

Besides...how does selling XXXX millions of consoles make any of the big 3 console makers a loser?

But barely anybody has put it up until today...I guess after all the people e-mailing them to stop being biased.

I am not sure you can call it bias for the Associated Press and others to report what they saw at launch. 50 people lined up for 1,000 consoles, more store employees and press than actual customers, etc. etc. etc. (all the stuff they printed).

What you can call it is incredibly dumb to claim the whole launch a failure without knowing the numbers...that's just goofy.

I am not sure you can call it bias for the Associated Press and others to report what they saw at launch. 50 people lined up for 1,000 consoles, more store employees and press than actual customers, etc. etc. etc. (all the stuff they printed).

What you can call it is incredibly dumb to claim the whole launch a failure without knowing the numbers...that's just goofy.

I'm not trying to really say anything here...but why report what they saw, instead of the numbers? Including here? Why hasn't hardocp reported that the UK Launch was a big success for sony, not only say that they had pre-orders canceled?

The bright side is that the launch went relatively well and, like the U.S. and Japan, most stores have the PS3 in stock.

Is having the extra stock a good thing though? Don't get me wrong you want to have stock around for people to buy but you also want it selling as fast as you can make them.

The ps3 launch seems to be having a positive effect on blu-ray sales in the UK and the rest of Europe. Pretty expected, but nice none the less. :)

The ps3 launch seems to be having a positive effect on blu-ray sales in the UK and the rest of Europe. Pretty expected, but nice none the less. :)

How many more BD players than HD-DVD players does this make now? Whats the ratio?

Nails are en route to the coffin, just waiting to be hammered in now.

I'm not trying to really say anything here...but why report what they saw, instead of the numbers? Including here? Why hasn't hardocp reported that the UK Launch was a big success for sony, not only say that they had pre-orders canceled?

It's because it is a conspiracy!

...and we are bias

...not to mention we are a bunch of <insert derogatory remark>

It is the long haul that counts, give Sony and Nintendo a chance to be out a year and see what there numbers are then. Honestly, if someone wants a PS3, they are on the shelves right now so sales should not be impacted by supply (like the Wii). Trying to proclaim losers and winners this early on is insane.

Besides...how does selling XXXX millions of consoles make any of the big 3 console makers a loser?

Sony is the loser... they invested how many millions in PS3 Development? How much money are they losing per console sold? Nintendo actually MAKES money per unit sold

Sony is the loser... they invested how many millions in PS3 Development? How much money are they losing per console sold? Nintendo actually MAKES money per unit sold

Although I do agree with your point consoles have typically been sold at a loss because of long life cycles. As costs of production and prices come down they make up the lost revenue and usually spin that into a massive profit.

As Steve has stated, it would be extremely short sited to not give any product some breathing room and see how it does over the first year.

is the EU chasing sony for charging more for the PS3 in europe than here?

yeah and you cvan play mario, zelda, and metroid sweet, then you've got pokemon, and mario cart, and.......The Wii is ehh whatever. Both Sony and MS were losing money on the hardware, MS started making some a little while back. Nintendo decided to make a 2x gamecube and some of the games are GC ports that don't even bother to take advantage of what little more power the Wii has to offer. Graphics aren't everything, but the Wii doesn't show much promise and yes I have tried it, the best Wii game out is the Metal Slug Anthology.

buy what you like it's your money,

Good post silentbob...

And to Steve and Rich...I hope you really didn't take what I was saying that way. I just don't understand. I love both my consoles...ps3 AND 360...I just only see bad sony news here...Yes I agree that mostly there is bad sony news...BUT when there is some good sony news it doesn't get posted. I just don't understand is all...But hey, it's all good. I barely check the front page anyways :p

Although I do agree with your point consoles have typically been sold at a loss because of long life cycles. As costs of production and prices come down they make up the lost revenue and usually spin that into a massive profit.

As Steve has stated, it would be extremely short sited to not give any product some breathing room and see how it does over the first year.

A good example of this would be the ps2. Didn't sony loose like 200 bucks a system or something when it came out? How much you think sony has made on that sucker over the self life(that is still going).

The Insomniac Games read is interesting but kinda one sided. He does bring up some good points though(that have been mentioned time and time again).

The Hard drive is the major one. Really think ms should have shipped it with every system. The HDMI is kinda a wash though. Yea it is a big thing, for movies. For games I don't see it as a big issue. Since the xbox is at first a game system it is not a big deal. As far as the blue ray yea it does help for games but once again you could get away with 2 or 3 disk games. Not a big deal.

Overall the war is far from over. Think sony was off on this one but they will still come out ok. I really see MS ganing a lot of ground but don't think they will take the number 1 spot. While the wii is really fun(love mine) I also question how it will hold up. I'm hoping it will work out well though. Only time will tell.

It was funny I got that email from Insominac yesterday and though it was good timing. One-sided, yeah I can see that, but Sony is taking a beating in most media outlets.

One thing I found interesting was their use of streaming textures in Ratchet and Clank. I hope they plan on making a RFOM2.

Is the PS3 the bestest system 3v4r? No, but I do think it should be considered objectively before dismissing it and saying $ony is Teh 3vil, not directed at you swatbat just in general.

Is the PS3 the bestest system 3v4r? No, but I do think it should be considered objectively before dismissing it and saying $ony is Teh 3vil, not directed at you swatbat just in general.

I agree with you. Thats why I said the war is far from over. I don't see sony having the market share that they did with the ps2(which is still selling like crazy) but I don't see them being destroyed or anything either.

Personaly the ps3 interests me. I would love to have a nice custom linux setup on one as one crazy ass media center. Maybe have it running some emulators in linux for the old school consoles. The linux needs 3d support for this though. If the community can pull this off then yea I may spend the cash on one. Right now it is just too expensive for me. I know a lot of people in my boat too. Do I want one? Yea I do. Will I buy one? When the price comes down I'll really think about it. The system has a good amount of games that should be great comming out for it and only it.

The "Home" thing for the PS3 is interesting too. Not sure how I feel about the interface(need to play with it myself before really going one way or another) but I can comment on what they say they are going to be doing. I would love to see them on the same level as live for a few reasons. One it would make ms drop the cost of live(if they don't make it free to fight sony). Second reason would be as the 2 fight features will be added. Nothing like some good competition. My only worries are that sony was/is a lot of talk. The PS3 while impressive(graphics wise) are nothing like they said they would be. Instead of surpassing the xbox 360 they are at about the same level. Sony really made it sound like at first it would be like night and day. In some cases it was almost a joke how far off the games that have come out look compaired to what they first claimed they would look like. With the "Home" they really came off to at least me as a copy of live but free. The interface at least shows they are going past that. I just wonder on a real time frame. Most of the stuff live does now were things that ms said it would do on the first gen xbox that never made it as features. Point is it took ms a while to get it where it is today. With sony at least having more of an idea of what to shoot for(as they can compair themselfs to ms) it should take them less time but how long will it truly take them? I don't have an answer for this.

As far as the cancellations go it doesn't sound like good news(same with the talks of how many consoles sit on the shelfs). Things you have to consider though.

How many of the people that cancelled pre-ordered this for christmas when the thing was suspose to come out last year(wasn't it planned for like december in the uk at first)? I don't think there is a good way to answer this but it is very possible people bought something elce to pass the time as the thing did get pushed back.

How many of those 20k were just people that were going to try to resell it? A shit load of people bought the ps3 in the US to try to make a quick buck. As the EU launch came closer it because more and more clear that this wasn't going to be as crazy as it was at first in the US(and the US launch by many peoples accounts wasn't as bad as they thought it would be). A good amount of those may have been just this.

A lot of the news has been down about the ps3. But with it still having a good 3.5 to 4 years in its life it still has a lot of time to really turn some heads in the right direction. Plus they are still selling at a pretty good rate.

Oh yeah Sony won't have the same market share they did last generation. So they "lose" if they don’t have the 70+%, which they won’t

As far as the target render vids not matching up. It's not too shocking, at least for me, so I wasn’t too disappointed. The graphics will get better as developers get better tools and learn to utilize the cell. The team behind Heavenly Sword had some interesting things to say about offloading calculations to the cell and maximize use of GPU. Did Sony overhype? Sure, but I wouldn't expect anything less from corporate cheerleaders and execs. for any new product, i.e. iPhone, etc.

While 3d acceleration under Linux would be cool, the classic emulators shouldn't need it. I think they just need to rework the emulators on Linux for the PS3 and they'll be alright for most titles. Home should be launched in the fall IIRC. I also hear rumors of a $100 price cut, which is inline with the move to 65nm cell processors and removal of the emotion engine. One of the more expensive parts on the PS3 is the BR drive; I believe estimates were at $200 for the BD-ROM. Optical drives tend to drop fairly quickly so I wonder if they are any less expensive at this point.

Like you said, all we can do is watch what happens in the next couple years.

You got facts on this on how much they are losing?

You know when they build a new factory or retool one for say a Ford Focus, the first one usually costs them over a few hundred million dollars.... the next one is half of that, the next one is a third of that....

Welcome to how things are made. The only figure that really matters is the EOL figures when they are done with the product and are rolling down productions.

Good post silentbob...

And to Steve and Rich...I hope you really didn't take what I was saying that way. I just don't understand. I love both my consoles...ps3 AND 360...I just only see bad sony news here...Yes I agree that mostly there is bad sony news...BUT when there is some good sony news it doesn't get posted. I just don't understand is all...But hey, it's all good. I barely check the front page anyways :p

You don't check the news page but you know we are totally one sided :rolleyes:

Maybe it is you that is only checking the front page when there is news you don't agree with? I mean, you don't check the front page that much anyhow....

Look, we post the news, we DO NOT MAKE the news. If you are upset that news sites keep posting the crazy stuff Sony says / does...please write them a letter asking them to stop saying / doing crazy stuff. How many letters have you written Jack Tretton? Ken Kutaragi? Phil Harrison?

The next time you see a news article that says "Jack Tretton offers to buy any PS3 you find on a shelf for $1200..." PLEASE...do not post in a forum somewhere, instead...fire up your e-mail client and send Jack a letter expressing your displeasure with him feeding the negative Sony press machine. Calling people biased that report what he says does little good.

IF we were making the news up...you'd have a complaint.

Back