Storage space on smart devices

The only semi-valid reason I can think of is to record lots of 4k60 video before you can upload it to the cloud or your home storage. Otherwise, I guess just for people who still looking to drag around their entire movie/show collections with them instead of streaming/downloading it when needed.

I've been good with 64 GB on my current phone since I upload all camera media to Google Photos and stream all my entertainment media or download it temporarily for when I know I'll be offline like on a flight.

Yeah, it's mainly for videos or for people that have dozens of large games installed. Some folks also use their phones as a big ass USB drive, too. That would be another exception. Normal files, documents, etc. just don't take up all that much space.
My entire photo collection since 2002 and 4500 MP3's only fill up about 2/3 of my 128GB phone.

Have 16GB internal, and a 128GB uSD card, could use more.
Use my phone for audio player and torrent DL-ing.
If you can stream movies to a large screen then it's perfect for movies on the go.

I video my kid at 2160p60 and it's something like 75mbps (and I can't control this bitrate). That mean 1GB is less than two minutes of video. Even 1TB is less than 17 hours of video and that's easily eaten up from filming kids.

Personally, I offload video from my phone but I can see the point of view of people who don't wish to do so.

Back