Storage and transport of hot-swap drives

I've been searching around for a DIY solution for the storage and tranport of my hot-swap drives when I take my backup drives off-site for storage. I'm running an Icy-Dock external enclosure that uses a drive tray. I want a case that I can store the drive+tray combo in that protects the drive from the elements. I saw a thread on the wegotserved forum where someone used an old Disney style VHS case to store the drive. These would be perfect if I knew they were anti-static. Has anyone here done something like this with their hot-swap backup/unused drives?

Thanks for the help,

-Tad

There is those VHS style anti static cases designed for hard drives. I don't remember where I saw them, but they do make them.

Your other alternative would be to stick your drive in a anti-static bag and then into a foam coffin that you get from ZZF.

WiebeTech sells something they call the drivebox, which is basically a VHS case with tabs to snugly fit a HDD. It's a bit on the pricy side for what it is though, at $5 per box (they sell them in 10-packs for $50.) And not much shock protection, its more for just storing on your shelf.

More cost effective and better shock protection might be to just get one of those big foam pieces and cutting out HDD sized slots in it. If you buy a large amount of bulk HDDs from a e-tailer, you usually get a foam piece cut out like that already.

Seagate used to include those plastic clamshells in their retail HDDs, but i think they're cheaping out and not including them now. I used to use those to store HDDs.

Back