Stopping Windows 10 from updating?

I am not sure if that would help in this case, since IE 11 is the last version of IE. However, I could be wrong, not about IE 11 being the last versino but of you suggestion, I mean.

Yeah I totally get what you are saying. What has me recommending this option is that the OP claims everything works fine (with a fresh install of Windows 10) until the first auto-update occurs. Another option is to put IE11 into compatibility mode, which if memory serves me right can make it run all the way back to IE7. I have run into some issues with needing older versions of IE for enterprise software to work (especially within the Insurance industry) and these methods have always worked.

Well I'm late to this party, so I'll just add my batch file to disable
Code:
net stop wuauserv
net stop BITS
sc config wuauserv start= disabled
sc config BITS start= disabled

disabled to auto and net start if you want to get updates again.

How to stop Windows 10 from updating:

1) Insert Windows 7 install disc
2) Reboot computer, Boot from disc
3) Install Windows 7

http://www.site2unblock.com/win-updates-disabler/

"Win Updates Disabler is a very simple Windows OS software that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system. Moreover, it can help to disable or enable Windows Defender, Windows Security Center and Windows Firewall. Remember that it is important keep your system up to date for security reasons, however, if for privacy reasons or for any other reason you want to disable Windows Updates and the other Windows security services, this little tool is all that you need. This program works fine on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 (32\64-bit)."

Yea Microsoft is really screwing the pooch with updates. We've also decided to make the jump to completely disable the windows update service in our production environment because of the complete mess it makes for our end users. We do not want pop ups interrupting our end users workflow, yet the Windows Update pop up is in your face and will not let you X it out, but forces itself to open a new window wasting even more time with something that no one is going to touch. You don't even need to get me started on this auto reboot garbage they are trying to pull, they are basically breaking everyone's computers for no good reason. I just deployed a couple of Server 2016 boxes and realized they even seem to think that it's acceptable to reboot servers during the middle of the day, because out of the box they are setup for an 8 - 5pm work day. Guess no one runs important stuff on their servers that might be impacted if it suddenly rebooted during a scheduled task.

On the enterprise side of things, there are plenty of 3rd party software solutions that can patch using the .msi installers instead, so it's perfectly fine to just kill the update service as it's not needed when using another solution. For a home user I might take a closer look at one of the alternatives because those operate in a similar fashion, and I believe you would be able to disable Windows update, then just set that up to handle patching on your computer. You'd like be able to setup updates like pre 10 / 2016 where it will notify you that you need to do something, but won't take action until you install and won't automatically reboot unless you say so.

I've looked at WUinstall, but I'm guessing that's more commercial software and probably expensive. Oddly enough by clicking a link off their site I found a couple mentions to "the-autopatcher" and "abc-update" which might be worth looking into as both appear to be free. I'm fine with a decent portion of Windows 10 and it would be difficult to go back to an older OS because powershell isn't being back ported and some of the functionality in Windows 10 is really nice to have. But they really need to lay off this update stuff as it's a make or break feature, and if they push any harder people will start looking for alternatives because they won't put up with it.

Well, then I feel sorry for your limitations. :) Your family notwithstanding.

If you would truly believe in your superstition, you would not place yourself above others.

Matthew 23:12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

If you have a school .edu based email account, you can probably get your hands on a copy of 10 education edition through the microsoft imagine site. Education edition is the enterprise version minus some group management functions. You would then be able to disable almost all of the updates.

Another option, which is what I would do. Load a VM on your computer at home with a version of windows that has IE and remote into it when you need something specialized like that.

If you would truly believe in your superstition, you would not place yourself above others.

Matthew 23:12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

The Living and Holy God is who He is and also, you cannot manipulate me into thinking as you want me to think. :D On the other hand, saying someone else has limitations does not exalt anyone above anyone else. :) I know where my ability comes from on a daily basis and who He is which is all a point to say: I will not exalt myself above the One who is.

You may want to look back at what you said of my suggestion to the OP and then look at what you posted again. :D

To the person above: Does Microsoft allow the education version to be used in a professional environment? Not debating, just asking..

The Living and Holy God is who He is and also, you cannot manipulate me into thinking as you want me to think. :D

Personally I only remember one quote...

samuel.jpg

I grew up in the Catholic school system, probably why I don't believe in one holy deity, I prefer the idea of parallel universes. However I was very close to my father who passed away far too early ~10 years ago, he was a tech head and tinkerer just like myself (obviously where I got it from) and while it may sound really stupid, sometimes when I've got the soldering gear out repairing a motherboard or restoring some form of vintage gear in the workshop (his favorite place) I swear I can feel him there helping me - It's comforting....

...Now where were we?

...Now where were we?

We're doing a surprise 'friendly takeover' (as opposite to a 'hostile' one) with the Lord in our heart of hearts. We're riding out to release the Dark One's grip on Hardforum's OS section.
We ride at dawn.

Edit: dawn GMT +2

The Living and Holy God is who He is and also, you cannot manipulate me into thinking as you want me to think. :D On the other hand, saying someone else has limitations does not exalt anyone above anyone else. :) I know where my ability comes from on a daily basis and who He is which is all a point to say: I will not exalt myself above the One who is.

You may want to look back at what you said of my suggestion to the OP and then look at what you posted again. :D

To the person above: Does Microsoft allow the education version to be used in a professional environment? Not debating, just asking..

Quite wrong. By stating someone has limitations when he does not share your belief is exalting yourself above them. Sinner.

Quite wrong. By stating someone has limitations when he does not share your belief is exalting yourself above them. Sinner.

There's also this thing called genetics and science. It holds far more credibility than some dude living in the clouds guiding your technical abilities. My father was a very mechanical/technical person, I'm a very mechanical/technical person. My mother is a great singer, my daughter is a great singer. My mothers family has a gap in their front teeth....You get the idea.

I believe the universe is so vast that we can't even begin to comprehend just how much we don't know about it, but to believe in one holy and judging man in the clouds...Not a chance. Once again, I went through Catholic schooling my whole life.

There's also this thing called genetics and science. It holds far more credibility than some dude living in the clouds guiding your technical abilities. My father was a very mechanical/technical person, I'm a very mechanical/technical person. My mother is a great singer, my daughter is a great singer. My mothers family has a gap in their front teeth....You get the idea.

I believe the universe is so vast that we can't even begin to comprehend just how much we don't know about it, but to believe in one holy and judging man in the clouds...Not a chance. Once again, I went through Catholic schooling my whole life.

Self moderate: Better to leave this discussion here I believe religious conversations are not allowed in the rules. No pun intended :)

How to Disable Windows Updates Temporarily or Permanently
Apr 3, 2017 majorgeeks

Sometimes you need to disable Windows Updates. Here's how to do it temporarily or permanently. Obviously, we don't recommend you disable Windows Updates, but here you are :)

God is not a man that he should lie, nor the son of man, that he should change his mind. God is not a man, that is just it, nor does He live in the Clouds. The creator of the Universe would be far more intelligent that any one of us or all of us combined. Computers are not a mystery to him nor is anything else since He gave us the breath of life.

Therefore, everyday, although I am very good at what I do, which I will admit is one of only a very few things, He is the reason for that and directs my paths every single day. That is why I am able to often quickly diagnose issues, not just in Windows but in any client OS I work in. (Server OSes, I need more experience but, I still can do them.) This is one reason I suggested the fix I did, K.I.S.S.

Self moderate: Better to leave this discussion here I believe religious conversations are not allowed in the rules. No pun intended :)

Oh, and my point is not about religion, just giving credit where credit is due. :) I do not discuss religion but, I do now where my love of computers and all things computers comes from. :D I have not seen the OP comment back so it appears his problem has been resolved, at least until they fix the thing that requires access at a certain IE level.

How to Disable Windows Updates Temporarily or Permanently
Apr 3, 2017 majorgeeks

Sometimes you need to disable Windows Updates. Here's how to do it temporarily or permanently. Obviously, we don't recommend you disable Windows Updates, but here you are :)

I'm not a fan of this method, it's like killing a fly with a nuke and highlights why taking fine control of the updater away from the end user actually makes the issue of software updating worse than it was in the past.

I just gave in, Microsoft won, update at your whim while I will twirl my hair waiting for some unknown change to my setups. It really gets bothersome when you have five machines seeing the same update repeated over and over again . . . :rage:

I just gave in, Microsoft won, update at your whim while I will twirl my hair waiting for some unknown change to my setups. It really gets bothersome when you have five machines seeing the same update repeated over and over again . . . :rage:

Before Australia upgraded their communications infrastructure I was stuck on very slow ADSL, one machine updating Windows 10 would literally kill the Internet for hours - It was only Windows 10 that would do it, everything else could update and the Internet was still usable.

If it is on 5 computers with exactly the same problem, then you have installed something on those machines that are causing the issue. If they are OEM machines, such as the exact same model Dell, I would check for firmware updates.

Back