Stopping a deal because of missing HeatWare

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I just made an agreement to buy someone's goods here for 25 USD. In my last PM, I asked for HeatWare. The reply came with no mention of HeatWare. The seller's sig includes eBay feedback numbers which don't match the numbers I see on eBay. (It is possible I am looking at the wrong eBay account but I don't think so. There is no actual link.) What should I do? I am a little weirded out that he ignored my HeatWare question.

Well it's possible the numbers on his signature are outdated.

You can search his username on Heatware's site to see if he's linked his account with Heatware. It's not difficult to do.

When I look him up on eBay it says he is no longer registered and the most recent feedback reads as follows
Item description stated no scratches. Product came with scratches. Buyer Beware!

I guess I feel defensive because buying used and cheap is how I discovered how unsavvy I am. Earlier this year I bought used RAM at a rock bottom price. I thought I had carefully researched the specs. But when I installed the RAM it didn't work. Then I gave it away for shipping in the freebie thread and never got a complaint.

If buying items I'd try to avoid people that have absolutely 0 heatware. However, everyone has to start somewhere and for $25 you don't have a lot of risk involved. Just do your proper due dilligence and pay via paypal so you can dispute later if you have to.

When I look him up on eBay it says he is no longer registered and the most recent feedback reads as follows

When you ask for heat, and they purposely ignore and do not reply with heat, that's an obvious flag. The above is also a flag.

When you ask for heat, and they purposely ignore and do not reply with heat, that's an obvious flag. The above is also a flag.

Meh, maybe he does not have a heat account, or maybe he forgot to include it..as far as the no longer registered on eBay..maybe he got tired of getting fucked with fees and closed his account. or maybe he got ripped off and closed his account...you dont have enough info to judge.

TLDR: none of those are red flags for any reasonable person.

Meh, maybe he does not have a heat account, or maybe he forgot to include it..as far as the no longer registered on eBay..maybe he got tired of getting fucked with fees and closed his account. or maybe he got ripped off and closed his account...you dont have enough info to judge.

TLDR: none of those are red flags for any reasonable person.

You should have read the original post. I have all the info I'd need to judge, and at the end of the day its buyer beware.

Item description stated no scratches. Product came with scratches. Buyer Beware!

You should have read the original post. I have all the info I'd need to judge, and at the end of the day its buyer beware.
I did read the OP...and I just learned a bit about you .

You made a decision about a person you dont know based on something you read on the internet.... something that was posted by another person you dont know. .. good game.

I did read the OP...and I just learned a bit about you .

You made a decision about a person you dont know based on something you read on the internet.... something that was posted by another person you dont know. .. good game.

That's that sellers last feedback. lol wtf is this?

That's that sellers last feedback. lol wtf is this?

is it his last feedback? There was no proof positive that its his eBay account...but lets assume that it is... you know that feedback is accurate how?
once again, your making assumptions based on incomplete info....

Bottom line: $25. He's not going to potentially get banned and loose trust over $25.

I went ahead and paid without mentioning any concerns to the seller and without further questions.

I don't have Heatware, so I don't trade here, but I have hundreds of eBay transactions under the same original ID I've used since 2000, 100% positive. I've been a PayPal member since before it was PayPal - it was x.com back then. Never a claim against me. I've done hundreds of transactions on other hobby related message boards and have never had a single complaint filed against me.

So it's possible that there are honest people out there without a Heatware rating. There have been things posted here that I would have bought, but knew that this Heatware thing was such a big deal here I didn't even bother.

I have a few trades under my belt, and at times have bought from people with no heat. If it was a small deal, and I saw no reasons for me to be wary, I just paid and hoped for the best; I always mention to them that it is good to have more then just ebay feedback or no feedback anywhere at all.

When it was a big deal, I ask for them to either ship first, or ship after I send them a small portion with balance on delivery. If they refuse to do any of that for me, and I actually have heatware, I mention to them that how can they expect me to pay first and they have no heatware.

For the nice ones, when I mention heatware to them, the ones that care actually made a account. Tells me something about them.

I've sent messages on ebay to confirm it's their ebay username.

If they don't have heat and I still want to buy, I'd ask for them to ship first. But, as an established member with over a decade of feedback, that's assurance that I won't scam them by not paying.

I'll ask the question since no one else has: Who agrees to a deal without first checking on the seller's credentials?

being strictly honest most stuff i buy online i never check, if its sort of expensive or i get a bad vibe like they put underwear in a box previously i might do some research but really if you get screwed,as a buyer, paypal will basically refund you no mater what, for 6 months after the sale. for sub $100 im not really that worried.

Holy shit, it's just $25. The worst that happens is that you lose your $25 and he's banned here.

That being said, if it's a bigger deal and they're not providing feedback then don't buy? It's your money and it's your conscious. If you're conscious is telling you to steer clear of this, then do. If it was me, I wouldn't really care.

being strictly honest most stuff i buy online i never check, if its sort of expensive or i get a bad vibe like they put underwear in a box previously i might do some research but really if you get screwed,as a buyer, paypal will basically refund you no mater what, for 6 months after the sale. for sub $100 im not really that worried.

Yep. If you're using standard paypal I say heatware or other references are more for the seller then the buyer.

Back