Stop with this "modern warfare" theme, bring back real FPS games

Shalafi

Fully [H]
I'm so tired of these "modern warfare" style FPS games, we need a return to the twitch shooters of old, like Quake, Doom, Unreal, and Duke Nukem. I want to be running around with an armor powerup rounding the corner to rocket jump onto a ledge with the quad damage all the while preparing to drop the hammer on an unsuspecting victim below me.

As my best friend told me earlier today in a text. Fail, you are a finely tuned instrument of destruction, your skills are needed here in Battlefield 3.

He's right about the first part, wrong about the second. My skills are needed in a Quake-style FPS game.

We need a solid return to the real roots of FPS gaming, and that's in the twitch based shooter.

Call of Duty or BF are NOT twitch based games, more like skill-less campfests. If we had an [H] Quake 5 server, I'd openly challenge anybody who plays CoD or BF who has never played a true twitch shooter to join us on it, I'm absolutely confident they would be wiped off the server.

No kill streaks, no vehicles, no camping, no bullshit, it's all about how fast your reflexes are, how well you know the map, and how much control you are able to exert over it in a deathmatch setting.

Step into the arena, get wiped out.

Because bunny hopping and playing with ultra sensitivity takes so much skill :rolleyes:

Because bunny hopping and playing with ultra sensitivity takes so much skill :rolleyes:

Your lack of skill gets exposed pretty quickly in an arena style setting, you can take that to the bank. That goes for ANYBODY who has little to no experience in an arena style setting, all that playing CoD and BF without touching the classics of yore will provide you is you might get owned a slight bit less.

Don't underestimate how much skill it takes to play with a mouse setting of ultra high AND still be able to maneuver around, AND most importantly, aim.

Play a real twitch shooter, then go play a "modern" FPS game on the console, the action is slow and clunky by comparison, it's a serious regression over the glories of the past.

Your lack of skill gets exposed pretty quickly in an arena style setting, you can take that to the bank. That goes for ANYBODY who has little to no experience in an arena style setting, all that playing CoD and BF without touching the classics of yore will provide you is you might get owned a slight bit less.

Don't underestimate how much skill it takes to play with a mouse setting of ultra high AND still be able to maneuver around, AND most importantly, aim.

Ok I take back what I said before, I meant to say that it may take skill, but how much fun is that? I like to have fun in games too, not just be competitive all the time.

By the way, I don't touch consoles for anything other than the occasional racing game or WWE game when I have friends over.

give me instagib anytime rather than collecting power ups. I miss those days when capture the flag and instagib is on. Man it's all about how good you dodge the enemy and if you missed, you're dead.

Nobody said you have to play real twitch based shooters :p

It's nice to have options, hence I want them to be done with this "modern warfare" nonsense and bring back the real FPS games, which is the Quake style of arena shooter.

I take it you've seen the "If Quake were made today" video, right?

Game studios are looking at what makes money. Not sure what your definition of "Modern Warfare Genre" is. If it you think it includes BF3, then please DIAF.

Im sure as the MW line of games gets too hard to rehash, someone will make a game like the old Quake line, but with some kind of progressive achievement process that makes it appeal to the average gamer.

Doing it right however, without alienating 90% of the gaming population who can't cope with the difficulty of learning how to do bunny hopping etc. would take a bit of effort. No game studio is gonna make a game with the goal in mind of catering to a small crowd. Not to mention it HAS to appeal and be playable on consoles. Otherwise, the money isn't there, not worth even attempting.

Here you go. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

http://www.quakelive.com/

Also, it's not fair to compare the Battlefield series to the Modern Warfare series as they aren't the same type of multiplayer experience, they just share a setting. Making that comparison is about as fair as saying Quake 2 single player is the same as Unreal Tournament capture the flag.

Game studios are looking at what makes money. Not sure what your definition of "Modern Warfare Genre" is. If it you think it includes BF3, then please DIAF.

Im sure as the MW line of games gets too hard to rehash, someone will make a game like the old Quake line, but with some kind of progressive achievement process that makes it appeal to the average gamer.

Doing it right however, without alienating 90% of the gaming population who can't cope with the difficulty of learning how to do bunny hopping etc. would take a bit of effort. No game studio is gonna make a game with the goal in mind of catering to a small crowd. Not to mention it HAS to appeal and be playable on consoles. Otherwise, the money isn't there, not worth even attempting.

I'm not sure why you think this is the case. There are plenty successful companies which focus on a niche audience...

Nobody is stopping you from loading up Quake 3. The problem is, as I'm sure you're aware, that nobody else wants to play it.

You can't make people want to play Quake 3.

Edit; Mozex beat me to it. I'm sure Quake Live is more populated than Quake 3 at this point in time, and if that's the kind of gameplay you want then I don't see anyone stopping you from playing.

Nobody is stopping you from loading up Quake 3. The problem is, as I'm sure you're aware, that nobody else wants to play it.

You can't make people want to play Quake 3.

Edit; Mozex beat me to it. I'm sure Quake Live is more populated than Quake 3 at this point in time, and if that's the kind of gameplay you want then I don't see anyone stopping you from playing.

That's not my point and you know it.

That's not my point and you know it.

What IS your point? I actually don't know that that's not your point, because you don't seem to actually have one. If developers could make money producing these games they'd be doing it. If nobody wants to play them, then developers aren't going to make them. You can play Quake Live if you want that kind of gameplay.

I think the time is right to bring the original twitch based shooters into the the future that is here and now.

Oh hell yes they would sell, all you have to do is put on the box that "This ain't Call of Duty".

What IS your point? I actually don't know that that's not your point, because you don't seem to actually have one. If developers could make money producing these games they'd be doing it. If nobody wants to play them, then developers aren't going to make them. You can play Quake Live if you want that kind of gameplay.

No kidding. Heck I didn't get in to FPS games until they started being "less traditional". I tried Quake 1 Deathmatch one time. Hated it. Nothing but people camping the rocket launcher to get 1 hit kills. However Quake Team Fortress, now that I liked. The class based system, the objective based gameplay, the fact that you could fight back when attacked. That worked for me.

I have no interest in seeing old Quake 1 style DM brought back, I'd give that kind of game a miss.

I always thought twitch shooters were easier and more fun then CoD/BF3. I hate getting hit from all the way across the map in BF and can't see anyone that far away.

I think the time is right to bring the original twitch based shooters into the the future that is here and now.

Oh hell yes they would sell, all you have to do is put on the box that "This ain't Call of Duty".

I think you're wrong, I think that gameplay style had its time and it's gone and nearly everyone who was interested in it has moved on. Quake was my first on-line FPS, and I eventually moved on, and it has nothing to do with Call of Duty.

Quake Live is Quake 3 Area brought into the future. I'm curious about what features you think this game lacks.

have to agree,

I recently got battlefield 3 and well ranked up to about 12 through all the prone idiots and omg where am i being shot from. Seriosuly if you are lying on the floor you should be dead, FO prone! and am now totally cba to the point I d/led quakelive. Had 10x more fun for 2 hours and then realised I don't know any of the maps and everyone playing are bloody hardcore owners. I used to be half decent at UT99 (3-4 years solid gaming) but there isnt much going on there.

A new FPS arena game where everyone starts on a level playing field regards maps etc would be great, although its been done. Dodging and strafe jumping a thing of the past unless there is another quake or UT and look what happened to the last attempts? Donno about quake but UT3 had really good gameplay once you had spent hours configuring .ini files and trying not to rage over the console style menus. But it flopped nonetheless.

sigh.

I'm sure they will, as soon as it stops making them billions and billions of dollars...

They could hand over all development of COD to Fail, it could be known as "Fail takes Manhattan", the ultimate FPS for a new generation sick to death of old generation COD.
You could have split screen with one person using QTE's vs Fail's "Fail Takes Manhattan" twitch shooting.

Won't happen for one simple reason: they don't work on consoles. They flourished in the PC setting because the skill ceiling of using a mouse is so high. You might find 5 players on the planet who could play Quake 3 with a controller on a reasonably high level. Seriously, playing CoD is hard with a controller. Imagine trying to play Quake 3 with one.

Ok I take back what I said before, I meant to say that it may take skill, but how much fun is that? I like to have fun in games too, not just be competitive all the time.

By the way, I don't touch consoles for anything other than the occasional racing game or WWE game when I have friends over.

This is exactly why games are shit these days. Because lil jimmy wants his COD to be fun, to be more casual. We want fun as in let everything be automated for me and I just press a button and feel like I have done a shitload.

Nah man, you got you're shit backwards, competitive FPS is fun. Not the other way around. Ever played a long drawn out game of chess or poker? All that thinking and strat, that's fuckin fun. Ever play checkers or Uno? That's fun, but you always feel like a lil sissy afterwards.

This is exactly why games are shit these days. Because lil jimmy wants his COD to be fun, to be more casual. We want fun as in let everything be automated for me and I just press a button and feel like I have done a shitload.

Nah man, you got you're shit backwards, competitive FPS is fun. Not the other way around. Ever played a long drawn out game of chess or poker? All that thinking and strat, that's fuckin fun. Ever play checkers or Uno? That's fun, but you always feel like a lil sissy afterwards.

lol good fuckin' analogy

No they wouldn't sell. Despite what you want to think of Epic, they released two twitch games being UT3 and Bulletstorm, both of which did ok but not damn busters. And before you bring up bs about "UT3 trash console wha wha" They patched the shit out of the game and it's cheap now. There ya go. It's support worthy.

How much love did you give Hard Reset? Oh right! No one even remembers that game. PC exclusive.

It's a dead genre. Try to learn to have fun with something new or freaking stay in the past. Lot of us are enjoying CoD/Battlefield.

Except this is a video game, made for entertainment. I don't care if they make another game like Quake, fine by me so you guys can have your fun as well. I am just saying this game isn't going to appeal to very many. I'll rather enjoy BF3.

Also just because YOU think competitive FPS all the time is fun doesn't mean everyone ELSE thinks it is. A competitive FPS usually forces you to invest hours upon hours into the game so you can get good, learn the maps, guns ect. even though not all of us have much time when we have school, jobs, other activities. Not everyone sits on their PC all day gaming.

I don't mind either type of shooter that much, but for god sakes can we get some variety. It's getting worse than the WW2 thing. This push for "realistic" settings is dull as hell. How about some creativity?

I don't mind either type of shooter that much, but for god sakes can we get some variety. It's getting worse than the WW2 thing. This push for "realistic" settings is dull as hell. How about some creativity?

Exactly, I'd just like something different, a return to twitch based games with modern technology would be what I would like to see.

Rumor has it that the old Infinity Ward team that left Infinity Ward who were responsible for making Call of Duty 4 were wanting to do something different from MW4. They wanted to do a FPS game set in the wayyyyyyy future, it was supposed to be some kind of cool futuristic FPS game.

They reformed themselves as Respawn Entertainment, and they just might release that game yet.

All I'm saying is that yes, I would like to see a new twitch based game that's really good, a competitive arena shooter, but I would like to see something different other than the oversaturation of "realism and modern warfare".

Drako is right, it's almost as bad as when every shooter released was a variation of the WW2 themes.

A competitive FPS usually forces you to invest hours upon hours into the game so you can get good, learn the maps, guns ect. even though not all of us have much time when we have school, jobs, other activities. Not everyone sits on their PC all day gaming.

That's such a flawed logic. Because games like COD who cater to the more casual crowd puts in ranks, unlocks, prestiges where not only diminishes true skill play, but replaces it with the dangling carrot over your head. Thus, resulting in a shitload of skill-less wasted hours of grinding for points just to get to that next level, just to unlock that one perk or gun unlock. So you may not be sitting in front of your PC gaming all day, you're probably gaming from that controller on your couch all day.

So it just goes back to this... do you wanna put your hour/day developing skill? Or waste your hour/day grinding points to get that new shiny gun? Doesn't matter how much time you put into it, the core fundamental is what matters.

The only thing that really bugs me about the MW2 style of shooter is there doesnt seem to be much strategy or anything involved. You walk in and 400 bad guys come out and start shooting at you. You die a bunch of times and make it a few feet further each time.

I prefer the games like Crysis for example that give you some options for stealth and strategy as opposed to just running and gunning.

That's such a flawed logic. Because games like COD who cater to the more casual crowd puts in ranks, unlocks, prestiges where not only diminishes true skill play, but replaces it with the dangling carrot over your head. Thus, resulting in a shitload of skill-less wasted hours of grinding for points just to get to that next level, just to unlock that one perk or gun unlock. So you may not be sitting in front of your PC gaming all day, you're probably gaming from that controller on your couch all day.

I agree with you, I don't think that unlocks serve any purpose really, they only allow you to measure your progress by time invested which leads to unlocks.

Back in the day, you measured your progress by how efficient you were as far as your kill:death ratio was concerned.

Time invested in a twitch based arena shooter meant you learned the map well, learned the best routes, figured out how to collect all the powerups, items, and health kits in the map, learned the best kill zones, and knew what weapons did the best on what maps.

Unlocks are an artificial way of providing mouthbreathers with a sense of progress simply cause they dumped a lot of time in the game, without gaining any true sense of skill.

Never cared for the bouncy hoppy fast pace one shot you are dead games. Always preferred BF style games, since I have been playing 1942.

The only thing that really bugs me about the MW2 style of shooter is there doesnt seem to be much strategy or anything involved. You walk in and 400 bad guys come out and start shooting at you. You die a bunch of times and make it a few feet further each time.

I prefer the games like Crysis for example that give you some options for stealth and strategy as opposed to just running and gunning.

Right, I agree with you on this too, and rocket jumping allows you another way to play the game, bunny hopping is fun, but let's not forget about dolphin diving either, ROFL.

Yeah they do need to work on single player campaigns, most are really lackluster.

I'd like to see more strategy and thinking involved in what you do while at the same time keeping a fast paced twitch style. I never really liked Battlefield's playstyle, it seems like a whole lot of, walk around for 3 mins, find a suitable location, spend another 2 mins scanning the landscape to find someone to kill, then take shots that the hit registration doesn't pick up.

After a couple hours of that, I uninstalled BFBC2. That's why I haven't purchased BF3.

Drop the same players into an arena, there's no prone, no foilage to hide behind, you're out there exposed, and the only way for you to stay alive is to have better map awareness and reflexes than the other guys.

So it just goes back to this... do you wanna put your hour/day developing skill? Or waste your hour/day grinding points to get that new shiny gun? Doesn't matter how much time you put into it, the core fundamental is what matters.

None of those things really change the game that much. I used to play CoD all the time and I stuck with M-16 all the time. I HAD to better with my aim using it. Those perks didn't mean much with headshots. *shrug* whatever.

Right, I agree with you on this too, and rocket jumping allows you another way to play the game, bunny hopping is fun, but let's not forget about dolphin diving either, ROFL.

Yeah they do need to work on single player campaigns, most are really lackluster.

I'd like to see more strategy and thinking involved in what you do while at the same time keeping a fast paced twitch style. I never really liked Battlefield's playstyle, it seems like a whole lot of, walk around for 3 mins, find a suitable location, spend another 2 mins scanning the landscape to find someone to kill, then take shots that the hit registration doesn't pick up.

After a couple hours of that, I uninstalled BFBC2. That's why I haven't purchased BF3.

Drop the same players into an arena, there's no prone, no foilage to hide behind, you're out there exposed, and the only way for you to stay alive is to have better map awareness and reflexes than the other guys.

Yeah BC2's single player was so short and pedestrian that I thought the final big battle was just another level boss. Didnt realize it was the end of the game til the credits rolled. Medal of Honor was the same way.

Ill be passing on BF3 as well til I can pick it up for like $20. I would like to play it just to take in the scenery. But as for game play, Ill stick with Deus Ex, FEAR 3, and Batman Arkham City and especially Mass Effect 3. Kinda sucks when youve gotta look to RPG's to get your shooter fix.

Thinking on it this is kind of why I didn't jump on BF3. It's just more of the same. I mean yeah it's bigger than BC2(though no destructible buildings)but it's still the same stuff we've seen the last couple years. All my friends keep bugging me about MW3. I missed the boat on Call of Duty 4 to the point that I didn't play until around the time Black ops came out and from that perspective I can say MW2 and Black ops are the exact same shit. Literally no improvements just more shit that pisses me off like kill streak invincible bullshit or what have you.

It's not that they aren't making more original Scifi stuff. It just all sucks. Duke Nukem sucked, bulletstorm sucked, Homefront sucked, RAGE sucked, there's a couple others I'm forgetting. I can't believe people are looking forward to borderlands 2. I mean who gives a fuck it's just more of the same. I can't even get through a second play through or evens the last couple expansions.

I think people are happy about BF3 not being complete garbage than it being anything amazing. Just twiddling my thumbs waiting on HL3 or Mechwarrior.

And another thing. HL2 was open source and easy to code so guess what a shitload of better games and mods have come out of any of these other closed door shithole engines and games that have come out lately.

Somebody needs to come out with another Painkiller type game with emphasis or tourne/league play. SS3 is cool but the environments too big for league play.

Last edited:
Meh, Quake style multiplayer is boring as fuck. I dont know why people hold it to such high esteem. Yes, I played it back in the day, yeah it was cool for the first couple of hours, but it got boring fast.
it's all about how fast your reflexes are, how well you know the map, and how much control you are able to exert over it in a deathmatch setting.
That might be what you enjoy, but frankly I couldn't care less to see the death of games where whether you do well or not is based on your twitch skills. If you love twitch based games so much and think graphics are secondary to gameplay, just go play those old games and stop fucking whinging.

Enthusiasts these days just have a permanent stick up their arse and have forgotten to play games for enjoyment instead of just over analysing them.

Not a big fan of the genre personally. Running around at a constant pace of 100mph constantly spinning the mouse all around gives me a headache after like 5 minutes. I like the ups and downs in the pace of the more realistic shooters.

That said, I hope you arena shooters get something since it's been so long. Did Warsow never pan out?

Back