Stop Windows XP from automatically adjusting time?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

My netbook clock is screwed, it seems to be running fast by quite a lot. Unfortunately the thing keeps insisting on correcting itself all the time and while this sounds like a great feature it keeps screwing up the order of my messages in Skype (type a bunch of messages, clock rewinds 10 minutes, now all new messages appear BEFORE the old ones).

I've gone into time and date settings and disabled "automatically synchronise with an internet server", but the thing keeps automatically adjustiing and it's really annoying. Anyone know how to stop it?

Cheers,
Tudz

G'day all,

My netbook clock is screwed, it seems to be running fast by quite a lot. Unfortunately the thing keeps insisting on correcting itself all the time and while this sounds like a great feature it keeps screwing up the order of my messages in Skype (type a bunch of messages, clock rewinds 10 minutes, now all new messages appear BEFORE the old ones).

I've gone into time and date settings and disabled "automatically synchronise with an internet server", but the thing keeps automatically adjustiing and it's really annoying. Anyone know how to stop it?

Cheers,
Tudz
It's probably getting the time from the BIOS settings. Go into the BIOS and set the clock to 10 minutes ahead.

How often does this time jump happen o_O If your clock is frequently getting 10 minutes fast then something else is wrong. Disabling internet time from periodically fixing it would likely cause other problems:

Maximum tolerance for computer clock synchronization

This security setting determines the maximum time difference (in minutes) that Kerberos V5 tolerates between the time on the client clock and the time on the domain controller running Windows Server 2003 that provides Kerberos authentication.

To prevent "replay attacks," Kerberos V5 uses time stamps as part of its protocol definition. For time stamps to work properly, the clocks of the client and the domain controller need to be in sync as much as possible. In other words, both computers must be set to the same time and date. Because the clocks of two computers are often out of sync, administrators can use this policy to establish the maximum acceptable difference to Kerberos V5 between a client clock and domain controller clock. If the difference between a client clock and the domain controller clock is less than the maximum time difference that is specified in this policy, any time stamp that is used in a session between the two computers is considered to be authentic.

Important

This setting is not persistent on pre Vista platforms. If you configure this setting and then restart the computer, this setting reverts to the default value.

Default: 5 minutes.

So yeah if you let your clock drift ahead too much you'll start seeing SSL errors on websites. I think the question you meant to ask was "how do I keep my computer's clock from getting ahead so fast"

It varies. It probably only happens 2 or 3 times in a day, but sometimes those 2 or 3 times are within the one hour. I wouldn't mind if it synchronised when the computer started or when it shuts down or even if it just asked me "your time is wrong, would you like to synchonise?". It's just it does it automatically which screws up things which are ordered chronologically based on time stamp. I just switched the PC on after, I dunno, 9 or so hours and it was running 10 minutes fast. I manually corrected it and after an hour of use it's back to 2 minutes fast, so it's definitely running fast.

I'll check the BIOS next time I boot up and see if there's any red flags there, do I maybe need to change the BIOS battery? I have no idea where it might be on an eeepc, but I can crack it open and give it a shot.

@YeuEmMaiMai, yep, turned that off, that's why I made the thread, it keeps updating even though it's turned off :D

Back