stop windows from saving logon info to network resources

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an annoying problem with Windows XP. When I log into a network share it saves my credentials for the next time I try to access that share even though I don't choose the remember password option. Is there anyway to prevent this type of behavior? It makes it difficult to test how you have a server's share permissions setup when you can't log in as each user. I'm sure the end users appreciate this behavior since they don't have to login each time they want to open a folder.

I'm curious what you mean by remembering your credentials.

By default windows will use the current user credentials for a share, and when you try to access it it will fill in username/pass of the current account automatically, nothing to do with remembering password setting.

In folder options under the view tab, you might uncheck the "automatically search for network folders and printers" option so it only looks for thewm when you try to access the shares, but I'm not sure that exactly addresses your issue.

I'm setting up a test samba server in freebsd. The server works fine but say I do this:

\\bsdbox\share1

enter username and password test1 testpasswd
<ok>
yay I see share
close window
setup a second user in freebsd and add to samba but don't give access to share1
\\bsdbox\share1
I see the folder? Oh, it's still using test1's login info
I change the password for the test1 account in hopes that will force it to ask me to log in again
now when I try to log into the share it just gives error invalid password
the solution is to logout and log back into windows each time I want to test a share's permissions. You can imagine with 10 users and 15 shares that took all day.

All I want to setup is a simple managed file server but windows keeps screwing me over by sending the login info that I last used. I want it to ask for a username and password EVERY time that share is accessed. Surely someone has come across this?

What he means is once you log into a host you are no longer prompted for a username and password for each additional time you connect. The only way to clear this behavior is to restart the PC.

I am curious too on how to do this as I run into problems at work from time to time relating to this.

BuGaLoU said:
What he means is once you log into a host you are no longer prompted for a username and password for each additional time you connect. The only way to clear this behavior is to restart the PC.

I am curious too on how to do this as I run into problems at work from time to time relating to this.
Thank You. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this lol

There MUST be a registry key or some group policy setting to change this behavior.

You can also release your connections to the server by (in a windows CMD prompt)

either "net use * /d" without the quotes if you want to release all connections
or "net use \\server\share /d" if you want to release just 1 connection

this releases your connection to the server and youll be prompted to access it again, pop it into a CMD file or BAT file to make it easy

I could have swore I saw somewher in the local security policy to Disallow Caching of network credentials.... But I cannot remember or find it again.... That might fix the problem. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, I had a brain fart. :)

Back